New install of 4.4.0.68 on a 10iii - "Failed to execute 'fastboot.exe...'

All the prior stages completed fine.
Falls over when flashing the image.

Win10 64 - 10.0.19043

Searching for a compatible device...

The device is unlocked for the flashing process. Continuing..

Found 'SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.19_v9a_lena.img' that will be used as vendor image. Continuing..
MD5SUM '744a0c66aca01a79a41d9637d6713d89' match for file 'hybris-boot.img'.

C:\Users\xxxxxx\Downloads\X10iii_SFOS\4 - Get Sailfish X\Sailfish_OS-Jolla-4.4.0.68-xqbt52-1.0.0.142>fastboot.exe -s HQ622R0312 flash boot_a hybris-boot.img
Sending 'boot_a' (25804 KB)                        OKAY [  0.077s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   OKAY [  0.117s]
Finished. Total time: 0.201s
MD5SUM '744a0c66aca01a79a41d9637d6713d89' match for file 'hybris-boot.img'.

C:\Users\xxxxxx\Downloads\X10iii_SFOS\4 - Get Sailfish X\Sailfish_OS-Jolla-4.4.0.68-xqbt52-1.0.0.142>fastboot.exe -s HQ622R0312 flash boot_b hybris-boot.img
Sending 'boot_b' (25804 KB)                        OKAY [  0.069s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  0.191s]
Finished. Total time: 0.270s
MD5SUM 'a60ded88454c09875055a000d6386fa1' match for file 'sailfish.img001'.

C:\Users\xxxxxx\Downloads\X10iii_SFOS\4 - Get Sailfish X\Sailfish_OS-Jolla-4.4.0.68-xqbt52-1.0.0.142>fastboot.exe -s HQ622R0312 flash userdata sailfish.img001
Sending sparse 'userdata' 1/3 (773207 KB)          OKAY [  2.325s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [ 15.592s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 2/3 (747677 KB)          FAILED (Error reading sparse file)
fastboot: error: Command failed

ERROR: Failed to execute 'fastboot.exe -s HQ622R0312 flash userdata sailfish.img001'.

FLASHING FAILED

Please go to https://forum.sailfishos.org/ and ask for guidance.

Press any key to continue . . .

p.s.

I did this:

7.14 Disconnect the USB cable from your phone. Then, turn the phone on and let it boot up to the UI .
No need to run the “Get started” phase (if requested). It is good to stop there. Just turn the phone off. This will complete the unlocking session.

Which seemed fine.

But now when i turn it on it just cycles between: “Please lock your bootloader” > “Sony” splashscreen > black screen > vibrate > “Please lock your bootloader” and so on…

Update - discovering that my PC was still on 19043 so i updated it to Windows 21H2.

Trying again i now see the following after attaching the device (with the blue light) and running the .bat file:

This is a Windows flashing script for Sony Xperia 10 III device.

Power on the device in fastboot mode, by doing the following:
1. Turn off your Xperia.
2. Connect one end of a USB cable to your PC.
3. While holding the volume up button pressed, connect the other end of
   the USB cable to your Xperia.
4. After this you should see the blue LED lit on Xperia, and it will be
   ready for flashing

Verifying MD5 checksums...
FINDSTR: Cannot open md5.lst

Searching for a compatible device...
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

We did not find any devices with fastboot.

The device is not properly connected to your computer or
you might be missing the required windows fastboot drivers for your device.

Go to the Windows Device Manager and verify that the fastboot driver for the
device is properly installed.

p.s. i have reinstalled the the fastboot driver using the same method as I installed it (via update driver), and i still see the same text displayed above.

Also see the following in i boot the 10 iii:

Your device is corrupt.
It can't be trusted and will not boot.
The device will power off in five seconds.

I see the usal complaint about untrusted bootloaders on my existing SFOS XA2 Plus, but never seen the thing about the device being corrupt.

Is that because it doesn’t yet have a new image installed to run, or the something truly borked?

Update #2

So i tried again, this time running the fastboot.exe under administrator mode after doing the hold vol+ and connecting cable.

Then, when i double clicked the .bat file, the flash process ran without error, reached the end, said flashing was complete, and to disconnect the device. This took a minute, which seemed rather fast, but perhaps running from an SSD to a USB 3.1 device and UFS storage is normal…

Having done so, the phone is sat there with a black screen, and the blue light continually on.

It is unresponsive to the power button.

Do i recall there is a key combination to restart the device? Or am i simply digging a deeper hole for myself…

Update #3 - it worked

Re: the post above, i managed to restart the device with Power + VolUp, and the device rebooted into SFOS.

Yay!

1 Like

I’m glad you managed to get this sorted @PeegeeTips. I’ve tagged it as “fixed”;’ I hope that makes sense?

1 Like