Network broken for some Android Apps in 4.2.0.19

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.2.0.19
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: Englisch
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No

DESCRIPTION: Osmand+ Maps or ZVV public transport apps are not anymore able to connect to the Internet with 4.2.0.19 on XA2. No offline maps can be downloaded / no train schedules can be viewed or downloaded to calendar app.

PRECONDITIONS: Update to 4.2.0.19

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Load Osmand+ or Swiss ZVV APP
  2. start up
  3. find a train connection / download a offline map.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Osmand+ should be able to download offline maps, ZVVapp should be able to show public transport schedules.

ACTUAL RESULT:

No offline maps can be downloaded, ZVVapp will not find any public transport lines.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

3 Likes

network support for these two apps is not repaired with SailfishOS 4.2.0.21.
Here a screenshot of ZVV app:

1 Like

tried pkcon refresh and pkcon update - no help.
DavX5 seems to sync mostly ok, whtasapp is ok, OsMand is not connecting at all, NextCloud is not connectingt at all.

I also have this kind of issue on my XA2 dual sim, since 4.2.

Some android apps (like Whatsapp) can access the network, others like Firefox cannot - “no internet connection”.
This happens if i have the WIFI on. If i have only the Mobile Data switched on everything works fine.

4 Likes

If I move out of WiFi coverage and start using mobile data when I get back inside WiFi coverage the Android apps are unable to establish a connection until I stop and restart Android App support.

This started happening with the update to 4.2.0.19 and continues with 4.2.0.21.

A prompt fix would be appreciated because as it is now the phone usability is severely compromised as I rely on the reliable operation of some Android apps.

XA2 dual sim

6 Likes

i have same issue. not resolved in .21 also. hope 4.3 resolves it.

I have the same issue with my XA2.

i have kind of the same. Internet just stops working for android apps, but it still sometimes works. Also restarting android support helps. Started with 4.2.0.19

also Telegram seems to connect only now and then. It appears lik not connecting over wifi but working over gsm, but omnly if wifi is off. Haven’t tested that much, however.

I think here are mixed up two things.

1. General problem using Osmand+ or Swiss ZVV
  2. Disappearing of network connection using wifi.

Regarding 1st point: I’m using Osmand~ and have no problems at all. The “~” means, that I got the app from fdroid app store.

Regarding 2nd point: I have the same problem. If I move out of WiFi coverage and I get back inside WiFi coverage the Android apps are unable to establish a connection. In this case restarting Android App supports or switching wifi off and on again helps.

I’m using 4.2.0.21 on XA2 single sim.

thank you. I have been using Osmand+ and ZVV all the time, too. Don’t know if installed by F-Droid or by Aurora Store however.
I am aware of the network connection problem for android apps, and I tried restarting Android app support several times. So far, without success ;(. In previous versions of SFOS both apps worked very well.
Funny thing is, in Osmand I deleted the local offline map and I can’t get to map downloads anymore.
Regarding detailed information, like EV charging stations, Osmand is much better than pureMaps, and they update their maps more frequently, too.

Uninstalled Osmand+ and reinstalled Osmand+ and now it works as it should under circumstance of
2. Disappearing of network connection using wifi
I did not find a reason why Osmand+ would stop to have access to downloadble maps, however.

I’ve also got this issue.
when it firefox says no internet, i can still get to my router via ip address, so this looks like it may be dns issues for the alien environment .

1 Like

I also have this “No internet over Wifi for AD apps” issue on my XA2 (never used EA releases), and I found out the following:
When launching Android settings via
apkd-launcher com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings
It tells me that WLAN is off and when trying to turn it on there, it just says “Error”. However, I can select my network and connect to it from the saved networks. It then tells me that WLAN is on, but WLAN is still off in the setting above, and still can’t be turned on. Seems like there’s something not right within how AD is set up for networking?

1 Like

This would be a perfect moment to try out Fernschreiber by @werkwolf. :wink:
Works fine on wifi and GSM.

1 Like

I am the kind of paranoid who switches off Wifi before leaving my premises and switching on mobile at the same moment. So maybe that’s why I do not experience this kind of problems. :ghost:

1 Like

A bit off topic: Can I use Fernschreiber at the same time as android telegram app? Or do I have to remove or somehow deactivate the android telegram app?

At home I lose from time to time wifi connection. At home this happens quite often. Now I have to check regularly if wifi is working correctly. So I have to open firefox and check a web page. Only after that I can be sure that network is working correctly.

The interesting thing is, that the last days there where no problems. So maybe the problem is somehow “self fixing” after some time…

For testing I just walked away from my fritzbox until I lost wifi connection. When I got back connection android wifi was broken. And I can confirm the following:

• As @gaidheal sad: It still is possible to reach with firefox the router using the ip adress. URL is not working.
  • As @Norman sad: In android settings wifi is switched off. When I try to switch it on an error occurs.

@luddwig27 Yes, you can use Fernschreiber at the same time as AD Telegram, I have done it many times.

For me, the problem persists, but restarting lipstick from the utilities menu seems to fix it (that way, AD will also be restarted, while restarting just AD from the settings won’t fix it). Also, the fact that one AD app has internet access doesn’t mean that all the other AD apps can also access it, in some cases it works only for some, but not for others, so the Firefox test might possibly not be significant for all other AD apps.

I do not know how.Telegram and Fernschreiber react when struggling for the same account for a longer period of time.

But one really nice feature of Fernschreiber is that it keeps you informed on the status of your network connection. Even in iconised view.

This might come in handy in your situation.

Recently i have installed latest version 4.2.0.21 on xperia 10II and the ebay app has not internet connection, also chromium sometimes but this after reboot work correctly.
Gerry