Jolla Love Day 2

I think we need a thread for 4.6 speculation aside from the Mind2, monero + (local)agi and 4.6 will be a good release
Edit: or a very bad release because AI and crypto REEEE

monero is purely one guy making a flutter app. The reason why it needs 4.6 was explained in link you gave. New package was added and is needed and new packages will only show up in next release.

13Qe

And yet, here we come for native crypto coin support, yay, you will finally be able to get paid for your work doubleyay

1 Like

oh yeah right after the native youtube support called microtube and native telegram support called yottagram

jesus christ…

2 Likes

Any way to donate crypto in those? With a native wallet (haven’t tried it, no idea how featureful it is) you could start a patreon-like service for monero-donators to get new features, beats 0 ways to monetize currently by a huge mile, expect a ton of BB devs to show up if that’s the case, win-win

Those price tags are nonsense to me. I’d rather buy a 499€ phone than 299€.
I want good hardware, good battery anr good camera and a solid phone.
200€ more in a life span of 2 years is not even 30Cents per day extra.
I would gladly turn of my TV one min earlier, smoke a cigarette less per day, or open the window at night, not using ac for some weeks, set my temp to 22.9 degrees durimg wimter instead of 23 or drive my car 199 instead of 200…
Little things can make the difference…

1 Like

Where did you find that phone for 499 though?
Mid range phones (see 10 V) usually cost around 500, while flagships are priced around 1.500€.

1 Like

New device or not, there was today a commit in Sailfish browser that added padding to take into account rounded corners…

7 Likes

Oh, no. Not rounded corners AGAIN! It’s web 3.5 all over AGAIN! Good thing I’m doing hardware right now. Analog :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just an example. 499 is around 500 whereas somewhere is stated a new Jolla Phone could (or should) be priced below 300. That’s nonsense for me.or the phone is ultra cheap… Like the Jolla C before (unfortunately)

1 Like

I think many people here and some in telegram are a bit lost.

1. The below 300 was the price for the mind2. A black AI box thingy that you have at home.
  2. The device shown with it later is a 10 V, we’ve seen that 3 months ago in Fossdem.
  3. The image shown on the email jolla sent to promote their event looks like the back of a phone. Maybe we see one, maybe not, but we don’t have any info at all regarding that.
3 Likes

Actually it looks almost identical to a typical HMD phone.

6 Likes

Its a damn tablet. (20 chars)

2 Likes

Yeah indeed, I was agreeing with you, saying it’s definitely incredibly close to all their phones, but it’s not like a rebadge of a model they already have. Between all the current HMD/Nokia models they have matching flashes, uniform lens arrays and rectangular flash, housing layout/edges, but no model matches the Jolla low-quality jpg exactly on all points! So it’s either bespoke for Jolla, or a co-production effort on a new model they haven’t announced yet.

I’m also wondering if HMD have got bored of KaiOS and want to put something more capable on their lower-end phones, and can Sailfish scale down that low? (Oh no, it’s Meltemi all over again)
Because, let’s face it, HMD won’t switch away from Android for their mainline phones, but might consider a less-janky replacement for KaiOS

To me it looks like you get much bigger display for a bit bigger phone (comparing with G60 as an example ofc)

Why would they abandon android though or even replace anything?
As long as they offer a device with sailfish pre installed they are good!

“Privacy from Finland”, while the livestream is only hosted on a Google platform? Doesn’t peertube exist in Finland? I sometimes feel Jolla’s marketing really doesn’t get the target group. (samplespace n=1)

16 Likes

And yes it’s possible to do a live stream on PeerTube Publish a video or a live | PeerTube documentation

5 Likes

No, not CSS rounded corner. It’s a new property in Silica.Screen describing the physical rounded corners of the device. It seems that they became large enough recently to have to push a bit the content, like in the browser toolbar, to avoid drawing out-side the screen.

The picture by @Fellfrosch made me think about this commit. But it could just be recent XPeria models like the 10 V that also has large physical rounded corners…

1 Like

Yes, I did grok that. Makes me nervous :slight_smile: I have these devices with a notch camera, which I hate, so I’m accustomed to stuff being drawn ‘off screen’. None of the screens are rounded, just the bezels. I understand why industrial designers do this, but it’s wrong. Don’t put square things in round boxes. Rule number 33.

2 Likes