Jolla Love Day 2

The SFOS Version for the Vollaphone is a community port - it is not from Jolla.

This is an important fact to point out. We, as a community, tend to believe we’re more important than we truly are. They either need to find larger markets (even a niche market; capturing 1% of the mobile world would be a huge number in absolute terms), or they will eventually run out of money.

Xperia 10 ii SoC is Cortex-A73/A-53 based (2/1,8 GHz)
Xperia 10 iii SoC is Cortex-A77/A-55 based (2/1,7GHz)
UniSoc T606 is Cortex-A75/A-55 based (1,6GHz!)
HMD used the higher clocked T610 (1,8GHz) on the Nokia T20 tablet (2021/22). and i do not have much fun using it anymore. But HMD uses the T606 on their brand new „Pulse“ model.
I would guess a T606 device is at best as fast as a Xperia 10 ii, but far slower than a XPeria 10 iii.
I really hope the Jolla C2 uses a better SoC than T606…

The Jolla Mind2 uses another SoC: Rockchip RK3588 (Cortex-A76/A55 based).
perhaps a Firefly Board with NPU? Something like this? ROC-RK3588-RT/ROC-RK3588J-RT Octa-Core 8K AI Mini SBC with Ethernet Ports Powered by Rockchip RK3588_Embedded Boards_All_Firefly Store

4 Likes

As stated, they need to find their niche. I don’t care if they achieve “global success” or not as long as they make enough money to keep going.

2 Likes

Yeah, I checked later some comparisons and C2 (T606) is a bit worse than II, but with less power efficiency. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t have to be a flagship, but at least something like Reeder S19 Max Pro S Edge which has FullHD display and probably will have better chipset.

If it’s going to be an upgrade, to me it should at least be better than the 10 series that is considered mid to low end (and mid to high regarding starting price only).
I was thinking something like the 5 series to be honest as a “middle ground” between actual flagship and mid tier, but I guess I couldn’t be more wrong :smiley:

1 Like

Jolla Mind2 specs mention “40-pin GPIO”.
Doesn’t that mean that the hardware is probably one of the Raspberry Pi clones with Rockchip SOC?
Like this one:
Cool Pi 4 Model B
oops. Sorry this particular model did not have NVME M.2 :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

…and if that is the case, it would be a waste of energy to have such a powerful Linux card running 24/7 without running some other useful apps on the side, like home assistant or Kodi media player. since Rockchip cards tend to have capable video output… :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe an orange pie.
But yes, what you’re saying makes sense!

2 Likes

I bought the voucher for C2, but got only the confirmation email with no voucher code. Is this the same for anyone?

Same. Confirmation with purchase Id. A link where I can see in my account that I paid. I think it is enough to match my next full order with this info, no other code needed.

1 Like

As I said: Apple is not sustainable, nor are the other big brands. On the other hand: Apple products are supported for years. The iphone 6s still gets updates.
Not to forget: telecom with its race to faster and stronger (5G) is also contributing to the waste problem.

1 Like

Not sure why you praise the “Intex Sailfish Version” of all things that much, it wasn’t a good fit for India at all, since at least some of the domestic network operators shut down their 3G networks very early, focussing everything on 4G, which turned out to be a big problem for the Aqua Fish due to the aforementioned “Intex Sailfish version” not supporting VoLTE (obviously bad for phone calls, but which also led to entire SIM activation processes not working anymore without extra troubles, due to provider apps relying on it: https://together.jolla.com/question/143534/india-does-intex-aqua-fish-support-jio-lte-network/). Not that surprising that one couldn’t “succeed in India” with an offer like that…

2 Likes

Well jio entered the indian market with super cheap gen4 and volte
and conquered the market.
So yess. Intex was not very much usable then.
Experienced it myself.
Got an jio sim from a collegue: completely useless.

1 Like

I’ve looked at it in detail again, the actual issue wasn’t even a 3G sunset (former market leader Airtel doing so only in 2020), rather than most network providers there never having invested much in 3G networks to begin with, with most users jumping from 2G straight to 4G (India: mobile subscriptions by technology 2028 | Statista). The current market leader (“Jio” by Reliance, 40 % market share) started their 4G service in 2016, 2 months after the Aqua Fish launch (the provider that was mentioned in that old TJC bug report causing issues), charging nothing for voice and data for the first 6 months (Jio - Wikipedia), growing from 0 to 130 million users within a year, attracting the very price-sensitive customers that you had in mind above, leaving them even without a mere 2G fallback on the Aqua Fish due to having shut off their 2G networks on January 1, 2015 already. “Stupid” me… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well one way for the community to have a better say in jolla (or jollyboys nowadays) would be for then to become shareholders. Assuming thats an option. Most likely not. Reason for that might be small market size. But in business like this, it can take years to get some success, and it might come from unexpected places (like automotive), so maybe havibg a “polarized” assembly wouldnt help either, especially for making unusual decisions…

The hurdles in regards to financial regulations and to individuals (see Framework’s recent community fundraising round, only offering $10,000 tickets and requiring SEC’s “Accredited Investor” status to participate - Framework | Framework’s Series A-1 and Community Participation) might be too steep.

Some sort of “Sailfish Foundation” would be neat, whom everyone (users, enthusiasts, companies, (supra-)national institutions…) can donate or endow money to (be it just 1 € or 1 million €), with the proceeds from those endowments and donations going into Sailfish OS development. :eyes: (Be it only for the “FOSS” Sailfish parts, if using donations on salaries for developers working on closed-source/commercial components [AppSupport] would violate charitability criteria).

That’s why I mentioned the size of the market; if Jollyboys would be a pubblicly traded company, shareholders can buy any set of shares as they are traded.

I think in Finnish law, “just” donations are not possible.

Besides that Jolla/Jollyboys will probably never be publically traded (nor should), buying shares on the “second-hand market” (= after an initial IPO) does nothing to a company’s budget or bottom line (unless enough shareholders accept to participate in “increase of capital” rounds), which is the vastly bigger issue than “us” having not enough say in the direction of the same. More money = more employees = better Sailfish, it’s not like they’re not fixing issues X, Y and Z just out of spite or incompetence.

And why wouldn’t donations be possible? As an example, Mozilla Thunderbird’s entire staff is financed entirely by donations, just with the caveat that they’re not tax-deductible.

1 Like

You can’t receive donations in Finland without permission, so it would have to be transactional.

1 Like