Jolla Love Day 2

Not really a lot but actually just one: whether they intend to rethink keeping optional one-time licence purchase for the new models. That’s actually all I would like to know. Today I called the supplier and delayed the 10 V shipment date until May 31, so that I still have 9 days to possibly cancel it. Let’s see if we can know something more for sure until then.

2 Likes

Image every person on earth buys a phone each year or each two years during a lifetime from age 12 to age 60. How many phones would that be?
It’s madness of course, such waste.
Won’t say that Apple is ‘green’, not at all, but my daughters still use an iphone 6s and those are still getting updated.
An option would have been a Jolla 2 build like Jolla 1: removable back, removable battery.
Or a Gigaset with replaceable battery, a Rephone or Fairphone.

1 Like

I think that would be highly unlikely. The new subscription model would be part of the company’s business strategy, which would have had to be signed off by the board, approved by investors, etc months ago. Jolla also seemed to have already laid (implemented) the commercial ground work - the new shop, charging platform, etc, and probably already built in the necessary code changes for license checks, etc into 4.6. Going back would be a big deal now.

Sustainability is highly important in this business and growing in importance from user perspective i.e. battery aging protection. I hope this is also recognized by Jolla (Jollyboys). Partially, in SailfishOS it’s well implemented if you take away the issues with power drain of the Xperia 10 III with some SIM cards / operators when they use local roaming.

The big players try to „greenwash” but Google-Android and Apple iOS are by all the measures, not sustainable at all. The opposite is the case. Please check this article: http://doi.org/10.1002/sd.2995

1 Like
  1. Will I be able to purchase a perpetual licence for upcoming Xperia devices?

2. Will you sell me a ~€400 Community Phone that comes with a perpetual licence?

3. Will you [test] community tolerance for a subscription model, by offering it alongside a sustainable perpetual licence fee?

Context:
I [own] a SailfishX licence for every Xperia device Jolla have supported, despite never having owned a 10i handset, and never installed it on my 10ii (android app) handset.
I was intending to buy a 10v licence even though I’m considering waiting for the 10vi to replace my 10iii SFOS device - but it looks like I will not be able to do this…

And why is that?
Can’t you subscribe for a year then if you feel like you want to pay them 60€ and still never use anything?
Or just keep using the free version?

you do appreciate that the combination of owning nothing but a liability to keep paying (that becomes my responsibility to remember to cancel after the appropriate time), is less attractive to me that ‘just buying a licence’, right?

1 Like

My question about the subscription model is if it is funding a more productive drive on software enhancements?
I’m sure there’s lots of big-ticket user-facing features that people want, and now if people are paying we probably feel more entitled to features and maybe even voting/steering them than before with the one-shot purchase model.

1 Like

But you own what you pay for even after stopping the subscription.
Also the OS is basically free.

2 Likes

Sure, but now Jolla have made it inconvenient, by putting the onus on me to remember to cancel it when i feel i have donated enough. and if i forget across my estate of multiple devices… well, that’s my problem isn’t it!

1 Like

I guess it is.
Do you think it’s worth spending 30 seconds setting up a reminder in calendar if that helps the company stay alive and keep offering us sailfish for free?

So in fact it’s good Jolla is still alive. It’s also good to get a Community Phone from them again. On the other hand it’s still strange that they don’t team up with another EU based Company for that, especially as Volla is know for it’s interest in Sailfish OS. And in the End, I still don’t get why they always concentrate on that realky low-spec phones.

5 Likes

When community goes wild for a 5€ optional subscription, do you think they would buy a 1-1.5K top of the line flagship device?
I think the biggest reason is this one.

7 Likes

No, I’d rather they offer us sailfish for a fee. However, i am questioning whether Jolla have assessed the opportunity cost of making their customers’ life less convenient is worth it, vis-a-vis the burden of allowing dual methods to access SFOS updates.
i.e. subscription [and] purchase.

my questions stand.

We see the Reeder collaboration and wish for Volla, Gigaset, Fairphone, or Punkt. But we don’t know who Jolla did talk to and we don’t know why talks did not result in phones with SFOS on them. Reaching a deal means agreeing on lots of things beyond initial interest in Sailfish OS.

I can see reasons not to disclose what was said, e.g. public relations. Jolla can freely choose to what to communicate and we don’t have a say - they are a company, after all.

12 Likes

I would guess the reason is reel is cheaper than volla, maybe at the same quality

Dear @rainemak and Jolla, I have a few questions, hopefully you can answer them in the Q&A:

• Can Jolla confirm that Xperia 10 V will have future SFOS 5, maybe QT 6 ?, and quality updates for a few years to come ?
  • There is a delay in releasing SFOS for 10 V, so I’m guessing there is some issues with hardware (as with echo in previous xperia phones). When the release comes, will there be any shortcomings (calls, camera, 5G, Volte, etc.) ?
  • Will the browser engine be updated to a quite recent version (115 today, and in 2 months it’ll be ESR 128)? Will browser updates come faster in the new subscription model as it is the core of what we do on the internet.
  • Will there be “Find my” service integrated in the subscription and added to the OS, including remote wipe/lock? It’s in your MDM framework but it’s important to have it offered by default by Jolla (maybe part of the subscription or a higher tier) to secure our data in case of a lost or stolen phone.
  • Will there be support for file syncing in nextcloud in the OS?
  • Will Jolla offer contacts/calendars (+ maybe file) sync, based on a Jolla instance of nextcloud? It can be a part of the subscription, and thus similar to Murena Cloud (for e/OS), and to Google, Apple, etc.
  • Will there be any noticeable improvements in image and video quality in SFOS using Sony devices? Maybe integrate some enhancement algorithms like in Android and iOS (or even Symbian like my old Nokia N8).
  • Any hope for allowing and providing the infrastructure for commercial applications in the Jolla store?
14 Likes

@orangecat probably these questions can be raised in the Community Meeting?

The problem is that SFOS calendar tends to sometimes skip reminders :slight_smile:

Do you really believe that those €5 a month from the same number of people as who so far has been paying one-time upfront fees can really bring an amount able to “keep the company alive”? With this tiny user base of just literally thousands of paying people, I’m not sure if it’ll be enough to hire one new developer.

As you might have noticed, the problem definitely isn’t with the amount. It’s not about the money.

1 Like

on the new Vollaphone…
If the license expires after 1 year, do I have to make a subscription or can I renew for 1 year?