Jolla Community Phone Q/A

unfortunately, theC2 sounds like it will not have band 2 (which is the primary one for my telecom) or band 4 (which is the secondary one, and IS supported by the 10 III). band 5 is used by my carrier, but only in a single tiny area, from what i understand. also, my telecom (T-Mobile USA) is the only carrier that sailfish works on in USA.

it sounds like the 10 II+III (and IV+V eventually) remain the only choices for north america.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a look… Band 5 with T-Mobile is only in use in Horry County/Myrtle Beach, SC, not that great. :woozy_face:

Video of Jolla C2 and its camera, on youtube here.

14 Likes

Yeah, and what does it really show? You can take a photo of a coffee mug! I really wonder if how these “stunning” pictures will become!

1 Like

Then just sell it here and buy a cheap android

2 Likes

What I mean is: if you do a youtube video about a camera you think is stunning - why not show it? If you think a camera is not important, don’t give that impression.

I need no advice what to do with my phone.

1 Like

Maybe you might opt in for some advice on how to behave here?
Just thinking.

not sure why you felt offended.

i just meant: in case you do not like the camera quality and want to switch back to android, it might be easier to get …

After telling you what to do with your phone, now they tell you how to behave. Commies!!!

1 Like

I guess I sensed some kind of face slap - be it mild… maybe you just gave a kind advice, in that case sorry for my somewhat harsh expression!

1 Like

I don’t think I’m the most suitable for that…

1 Like

Honestly guys, he’s right

The video says there is a fantastic 64mpx camera but we already know that if using camera1 drivers we will have poor photos but at 64mpx

If they think it’s so fantastic they could have showed us a night photo

Unless it’s using camera2 and it does wonders, althought i really doubt it

Now, if we flash sailfish into our xperias we already know we are losing a great camera to have a very bad one, it’s the price we are paying for privacy

But what if then the camera has just more megapixels but the same quality?should we call it false advertising?

Sorry, but not believing it’s a good camera until i see a least a low light photo…

OT: Please may I ask what’s the difference in technical terms between camera1-API and camera2-API? I read this often and know that the camera2-API is erased from Sony devices at flashung time, but I don’t understand the difference. Isn’t it always the same image sensor (CCD) chip? What’s the difference between controlling the camera by API1 or API2? Or is it the second hardware camera on the rear side of the phone?

I don’t think this is entirely true. Camera and Camera2 are android APIs that can be (but neither of them are mandatory) used by a camera firmware to expose its capabilities to developers. From my knowledge the xperia’s implements both camera and camera2. Camera2 gives more control over the hardware but at the same time requires more manual device specific settings, while Camera is more like higher level API. I don’t think it was clearly unveiled which APIs are available on the C2 but the video suggests the camera2 is to be implemented “for other devices that we are supporting”. However implementing Camera2 api doesn’t translate directly to a sudden change in the quality of photos - it is still the same sensor and what can be done with a camera 2 api is device specific.

1 Like

It’s the same sensor of course. It used to be that few phones were implementing API2 and now it’s the other way around, new devices work incorrectly or have crappy defaults with API1.
The newer API has more knobs to control the parameters while the first one has not. There may be other technical advantages for the new API of course.
The APIs are usually implemented in closed source vendor libs and firmware blobs.
You can test both with OpenCamera from FDroid in AAS.

2 Likes

I would say, we already know sony did wonders with the xa2 camera, even at night, on sailfish it has problems even in a closed room in full daylight

I hope this camera 2 will improve the situation

One day a friend even asked me if my camera was broken :stuck_out_tongue:

Another interesting thing would be to use the other rear camera, too! But I can’t see any option to control this.
Is there any hack for this?

That is most probably due to some extra post processing algorithms done in the Sony camera app

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think camera API/camera2 API is a Sony specific thing and the C2 is not Sony. So I think Sonys API’s are irrelevant.

It is the Android Camera API. So presumably relevant for the C2.

2 Likes