Jolla Community Phone Q/A

What I did when I moved from XA2 to 10iii was to create a first empty backup on the new phone, such that it creates the new backup folder, then moved the backup file from the previous phone to that directory.
This is needed because the backup folders have weird names such as “(your account)/Sailfish OS/Backups/Xperia-XA2_zWPk9wGcZy/” so it does not find the backup file unless the correct folder name is created.
It worked for me, minus the issue of the changed username (nemo → defaultuser) because the SFOS versions on the old and new phone were also not the same.

5 Likes

This comment/question might be also a rhetoric one :upside_down_face:

How is that a reference device does not cover all supported features? I would understand if reference wouldn’t have the highest and the latest specs but it should have at least all that’s supported.

If this is a developer device wouldn’t be the missing fingerprint reader, 5G (, NFC?) a problem? Isn’t it kind of missing the point of being a reference developer device?

PS: thanks @Bohdan for highlighting that, I didn’t notice it’s missing the fingerprint reader. I agree that typing just a pass code isn’t ideal and it makes the device less daily-driver suitable in my eyes.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I did when I realized what’s happening. Thanks for completing my answer :raised_hands:

1 Like

In this case, yes, the “not well enough” thing. I’m not a particular fan of their data collection, but since I intend to post online the results I that find based on translating other stuff already on line it’s not really an issue in this case.

1 Like

I prefer DeepL for privacy when translating online.

4 Likes

There have been complaints about certain versions not being compatible with eachother - and nemo vs defaultuser. But that where you store a backup would make it different, let alone incompatible - that is not something i have heard or seen.

i think i had the same issue in a previous upgrade, as described here in response to a previous post:

i can’t verify since then as i now just use an sdcard for backups

Xperia 10 III works fairly well in the USA on T-Mobile with SFOS, but not perfectly. only some of the LTE bands are supported, and not the most common one. (Xperia 10 V may even support 5G on T-Mobile in some places)

if the C2 has the 4G bands supported by T-Mobile, it will probably work.
however, it is unlikely that it will have those bands, since those bands are more or less only used in the USA.

1 Like

That’s not the issue I am talking about but I experienced that one too :smiley:

I mean the issue which is well described by

That’s still an issue. But I don’t mean just that. I mean having the backup/restore function really reliable (despite the storage) and being able to backup application data (reliably those developed by Jolla, experimentally Harbour ones and perhaps even the Android apps one day). That’s an essential feature to be able to live long within the Sailfish ecosystem.

It looks like they added a uid to the device name, so it’s essentially the same issue. I think a solution for this would be to develop the Backup/restore function to include the file picker and allow the user to select a backup to restore

Edit: The added functionality you desire can be found in @slava 's My Backup app on Openrepos

So if I get A 10V or 10III and get another copy of Sailfish I could use the phone here in the US.
I just ordered a pine phone pro because it said it had sailfish on it… but I think I will send it back… If I can??? and get a Sony… I just miss the OS and it being so clean.

Been using a Lumia 950 windows phone since I the 3G shut down… and it bites.

2 Likes

ive been using 10III with SFOS as my daily driver since June 2022 here in NY.

• provider is T-Mobile. the main T-Mobile LTE band is not supported by the 10III, but the secondary band is.
  • ive used the phone in NYC, albany, chicago, cleveland, boston, interstate highways, and all over Long Island, NY. i get pretty good LTE reception most places, but not everywhere.
  • VoLTE works flawlessly (except i dont hear the ring-back-tone anymore when im dialing a number)
  • i see 4G and 2.5G all over the place, even though TMO claims to have shut down GPRS and EDGE.
  • SMS+phone works fine over 2.5G
  • MMS works well enough, but i have to be on wifi and i occasionally have to restart ofono. (i CANNOT figure out why i have to be on wifi, as it doesn’t seem to use the wifi in any way, according to mms-engine logs)
  • i routinely see LTE internet speeds of 3.5mbps to 7.0mpbs. (on my XZ2 compact, which supports all tmobile LTE bands but not, unfortunately, VoLTE, i got 6mbps - 14mbps. i switched when they finally announced the death of GPRS…which still hasn’t come)
9 Likes

you should test the pinephone pro, though! it supports VoLTE in hardware, so i hear, so should work pretty well with SFOS on T-Mobile USA.

i have been considering switching since the LTE band support is MUCH better. the cameras are nicer on the 10III, and i got very used to aliendalvik8 the last two years (i used waydroid on XZ2c, and aliendalvik4 before that). i dunno

1 Like

So wait a tick… if I switch to Tmobile, will my Sony XA2 Still work? Just wondering… Sorry so may questions.

i just tested voice calls over 2.5G on my 10III, and it still works just fine here on Long Island, NY.
so: yes, assuming your 2.5G coverage with T-Mobile is similar to mine.
(VoLTE is the only thing missing from XA2 or XZ2c. reception for LTE internet will be way better on XA2 compared to 10III)

2 Likes

Hi Teleshoes,

I will have 15days with the Pine Phone Pro Explorer Addition before the return deadline. I am kinda desperate to get back to sailfish. So I will give it go.

My issue with switching to the Sony “Walking Tall” X series phones is that they are way too tall for my liking … I am not sure why I can’t get past the esthetic of how that series of phones look. I fell in like with the XA2… the colours the style… and of course the sailfish OS despite my issues with it.

Thanks all for the help!

2 Likes

The caveat, or danger is that T-Mobile has promised repeatedly to turn off 2G. Right now there isn’t an active deadline, so that either means “not anytime soon” or “at any moment.” With no Volte support in SFOS on the XA2 series, all voice calls gotta drop to 2G. So if 2G goes away, T-Mobile might consider your device no longer compatible with their network – that’s what ATT did when they turned off 2G and 3G before my Xperia 10 II had volte support. On top of that, T-Mo’s 2G service in my area has been degrading lately, maybe passive-agressively pushing users to change their practices.

Gotcha I am on Red Pocket I may switch to there Tmobile side and go back to my XA2 for as long as I can… I had the pine phone for a few days…it was a lot of work for alot of money. I was excited but the basics just don’t work and if the battery drops below a certain voltage it turns it self into a paper weight. So its on its way sadly

Hmm regarding JC2:
I just looked up and that unisoc could be comparable to a volla mediatek if you ignore the gpu performance Unisoc T606 vs Helio G85: tests and benchmarks

(But then there’s Qt update’s 'formally we had some limitations regarding GPLv3" statement which was partially rebutted by “We did not announce that GPLv3 is good. Sami talked about former limitation that we had. Let’s see what future brings :)” that bothers me more than the specs of this device:)

2 Likes

Concerning LTE bands… the new Motorola Moto G04s also uses the Unisoc T606 SoC, so the LTE bands should be the same for the Jolla C2 (I prefer using “C2” to “CP”, on an unrelated note…): Motorola Moto g04s: Technische Daten, Test, News, Preise (in German, but the table should be self-explanatory for English readers as well).

@teleshoes According to said table, at least Band 5 should be available for the US.

1 Like