Jolla C2 Community Phone: your feedback is needed!

It’s what I’m always saying.
Supporting a new device every year is nonsense.
I’d rather have a good and solid phone with good specs every two years for 700€ than cheap phone every year for 400€
The Intex Aquafish/Jolla C was the best example. Poor quality, Battery was crap, the phone slow and and and…
Worst phone I ever had

1 Like

You just describe Fairphone 5!

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind even longer cycles. Ie 4 years. As long as a phone is optimized for the os it will work fine for a long time.

But SFOS feels sluggish even on hi end devices.

As so many times before; this and quality is a false dichotomy.
Porters never switch fully, and they are also not occupied with only that for 100% of the year.

Good luck selling 4 year old phones to people - there are enough complaints when the current ones approach 1 year.

Fairphone has had quite terrible availability historically. And up until the most recent one, they had nothing to show for in additional openness compared to Sony. Arguably it is still unproven.

But please; let’s do this in one of the umpteen threads on the topic.

I’ll counter argue that there are people buying used or older iphones because they want the apple experience.

Obviously SFOS cant match the app ecosystem apple offers but there are a tone of things that would make SFOS a more pleasant experience.

1 Like

Problem with that approach: If there are interested new users after one year… what kind of phone can they buy then? It is even sometimes hard to get a Sony Xperia 10 III / IV right now, especially new. If you have 2 years or more inbetween, would you be attracted in that kind of phone?
(even if it isnt bad or even faster than a newer lowend phone, it is just not “newish”.

1 Like
4 Likes
6 Likes

Imagine every person on earth gets a new phone each two years from her/his 14th till the age of 74. Think of the mountains of precious and of low value materials that are wasted. It’s insane.
Not everything can be recycled and recycling is quite expensive.
Actually the ongoing tech development plus telecom are responsible.
Fairphone was forced to come with a new device when 5G was introduced and the abolishing of jacks by Apple also made many devices obsolete.
In the meantime my daughters still use their iphone 6s with pleasure and I can still navigate with my old ipad mini cellular. The longtime support has been paid for when we bought the devices.

5 Likes

Four Xperia 10 in my family, all from winter 2020 (4,5 years old) and all updated and working well. Mine with some tweaks to “turbo” it, so no need for new phones. Thank you Jolla / Jollyboys!

6 Likes

What tweaks did you do? Disable encryption among others?

I changed nothing related to the encryption.

In the .qml files of SFOS there are a lot of duration and interval commands with values (arguments) between 200 and 800 ms with no apparent sense but optical effects and I set them all to a value of abt. 1/4 and now SFOS reacts much faster on user interactions.

As an unexpected side effect now page rendering of the browser, mail sync and general app startup time is markable faster. edit: also GPS position fix, map rendering (OSM Scout), loading & playback start of audio & video files (LLs vPlayer, DeadBeef Silica) is much faster as before.

I can post a list tomorrow if you are interested. I did log everything I did to repeat it on another phone, with complete cli commands to copy and paste.

6 Likes

Responsiveness of SFOS is something that should have been fixed a long time ago. At least we can hope they will do something about it in 5.0.

1 Like

Wow, yes I’m very interested. That’s a very awesome accomplishment. You could make diffs, that would make things faster maybe, or even better patches, but i don’t know how to make patches out of diffs

1 Like

There are patches decreasing animation timings, so no need to tinkering around by yourself in the qml-files.

1 Like

It seems i have downloaded the patch some time ago, but it failed to install and still fails under sfos 4.6

2 Likes

I know. The thing is i am not a fan of patches. Good stuff should go in the main os and be available out of the box. Unless there is a really good reason for them to stay out of it which in the case of animation timing i haven’t heard of.

4 Likes

Oh it was animation settings, what i downloaded

Thats an awesome patch