Jolla 2.0: Jolla’s former management purchased Jolla’s business, IP, and software assets from Jolla Oy

Antti Saarnio post on Twitter:

Jolla 2.0 - I am confirming news that Jolla’s ownership challenge has been finally resolved and we are at full speed sailing Jolla toward new exciting challenges. Strategy work together with our community starts now.

16 Likes

Sounds like positive news for a change rather than the usual silence from management.

I’ll believe it more when I see some real evidence, like a browser that doesn’t crash back to its cover every 5 seconds.

3 Likes

For those who don’t like scrolling through Twitter/X:

On 27.11, we, together with Jolla’s former management, purchased Jolla’s business, IP, and software assets from Jolla Oy. The new entity will continue Jolla’s work to build an open, private, and innovative mobile ecosystem.

The purchase was carried out as part of Jolla’s restructuring plan. On November 24, 2023, the Pirkanmaa District Court (Finland) decided on the restructuring program and obligated a complete sale of the business to a company established by Jolla’s former management.

The automotive business part of Jolla will be structured into a separate subsidiary entity and will operate its business under the Seafarix brand.
Automotive business has its own very big potential, and its clients need a dedicated team to serve their needs.

Personally, I am excited about the new possibilities the new disrupting technologies will open for Jolla, as mobile applications are moving into the web and personalized AI agents will soon be in every personal device, at the same time taking us to completely unknown territory when it comes to privacy risks.

I am convinced that now more than ever, the world needs an open, privacy-first mobile platform.

Happy to be back.

I do wonder who “we” are in that statement. Either way: happy to have you back too!

19 Likes

10 years with Sailfish OS, and not one single browser crash, that I can remember.
Quite fantastic actually. And now I can look forward to another 10 years. Hurray!!!

4 Likes

Lucky you, 8 years for me and browser crashes more than 2/3 times a day :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway it’s good to have the boys back :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am personally a little frightened by the new “Jollyboys” name in combination with this spam of wow-look-how-trendy buzzwords like AI or blockchain.

While having nothing against these technologies (they are pretty cool, actually), the vast majority of the people around them I would not even touch with a pole.

FYI, Saarnio is also CEO of a blockchain/crypto company: make of it whatever you want, but hopefully these buzzword-ridden markets and target audiences will not bleed into SFOS.

18 Likes

Probably what Jollyboys Oy needs now is stability and less risk in their business model, not more.

7 Likes

Well, I guess it’s entirely a matter of usage. IMHO it’s never a good idea to try to force the software to do what you want, instead of trying to find out what the software can handle, under the current hardware spec.

Give a try to this website

https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html

1 Like

Or the jellyfish. Still no crash.
Anyway, it was just me trying to lighten up the negativism of Edz.

5 Likes

All i hope is proper hardware. :zipper_mouth_face:

Also i want to add that to build all the “Cloud, Progressive web apps, AI, blockchain security, zero knowledge proofs” stuff you need a pretty solid foundation and SFOS is not in that state.

In other words it needs a lot of ground work.

4 Likes

Great news! Keep coming!

As someone who’s quite into zero-knowledge (on a cryptography level) and quite opposed to a lot of blockchain projects, I’d like to take the opportunity to say that Zippie is doing quite some cool and fancy things. Blockchain projects are rather often complete scams and ponzi schemes, but at least I do have some close contacts with people at Zippie, and I can say that they actually know what they are doing.

12 Likes

Yep, I don’t mean to be negative, but I am, so that’s how it comes across. Usually, my negativity is confounded by unconnected means and not by searching for the narrative I want to fit.

I am actually really pleased about this latest news, as is does mean that I don’t feel to much, or rather should I say think that I’ve wasted 10 yrs hanging around the SF forums while owning 2 x Jolla1 and my current Sony Xperia 10II, I can’t really fault it or the OS for my limited needs, but the browser I don’t use very often but when I do, it seems to fail me, which can be a bit demeaning at times.

If anything at all, SDK is the most problematic for me where all things SailfishOS are concerned, it’s become unusable after a few months of use, so uninstall/reinstall, allow lots of resources in VirtualManager and get on with pretending to be a developer…mumble, mumble. TAXI…!!

I love much more about SailfishOS than any other OS I’ve used, although I think quite highly of MeegoOS as it was my first introduction on the Nokia N900, I’d never seen a terminal before and set about bricking the device with regular monotony, so I jumped at SailfishOS when it came about, have never pre-ordered anything before…I’m glad I did, here I am!!, so forgive my negativity and perhaps even my snippy comment about management, no one is dying here :wink:

By the way, the jellyfish thing is great, spent way too long looking at that today, literally. // not sarcasm, but positivity!, yay!, I can say positive sh*t, sometimes it takes someone else to really point it out in a subtle, somewhat caring manner!, you made my day!

The other link from @robang was good as well, that too much screen/battery time, but fascinating for 10 minutes at least! <-----negative or positive?, you decide, as always, I can’t always be right! :laughing:

2 Likes

I hope so because a vulnerability in the decentralized identity system or even worse in its protocol could lead to a lot of troubles included fraudulent money and assets transactions.

I am not an expert of these kind of systems nor about Web3. For my little experience the current most common problem in the implementations of this kind of approach (distributed or decentralized) is their difficulty in scaling up. And scaling up, is a problem that affect also the SFOS app framework.

However, less likely - because rarely I am interested in - I have found that Android applications - even those are supposed to be developed by senior professionals - leak data. In the best cases, not because the networking but related to breaches or bugs into the local system (usually a commercial flavor of Android) due to the high fragmentation. That leaked data became available to others apps or the user.

Obviously, I am referring about apps that have been designed to keep all data protected with strong cryptography and it is about apps that are related to services for which privacy is their core business.

If someone like me that have not a specific training in penetration test and on mobile systems, stumble into these leaks - we can imagine what can do a team of black hat hackers. Fortunately - sarcasm - these people invest their time to catch big fishes.

This is the dark side of scaling up - more users, more value at stake - is that as bigger as the reward grows, higher the risk increases of being a target.

1 Like

@Edz wrote this post few minutes ago:

It is about the SFOS default browser, regular crashes experienced by few users.

apparently, it’s all nonsense according to @attah, if it is nonsense, why has it made a clear difference to my browsing experience, really clear.

1 Like

If that is the case, then it really should be investigated. Unfortunately, I’m not the man to do it.

1 Like

thanks, robang74GPT!

1 Like

Considering that first automotive cockpit included the underlying embedded system, I developed in 2001 by myself for an automotive company apart the CAN driver that Alessandro Rubini did, I can beat ChatGPT in every way you can imagine and in other many^N (where N is the Avogadro number) that you cannot even image… :rofl: