Ideas for funding SFOS

Factually: To post completely off-topic messages, which already have derailed the thread.

By content: To make a fuzz about the fact that equally in China, the USA and many other jurisdictions any company must grant the secret services access to all data, if told so (by a ā€œNational Security Letterā€).

6 Likes

LOL! Thanks for stopping our futile discussion. :laughing:

2 Likes

Completely off-topic is a bit exagerated, the discussion just went from calling something undemocratic if so called democracies are using the same mecanisms at the same time. So let just leave it there. But i also find it important to create public discussion about certain stuff. For example for me it is not understandable, that there is the mobile device market divided in 80% Android and 20% iOS devices, when for decades, a liberalization of the markets was demanded. Today we have this Duopoly who have built there fortresses and are defending them with all tgeir might. And now we would have a third actor, who with an according funding could take marketshares and bring a change for the better. So what is preventing it? Lobbyism, which is officially forbidden in national and european institutions. The aim would be to create such a big discussion about this situation, that the it becomes undenyable and also unacceptable in the public opinion. Also record fines against them could be used to finance such a project asSailfish os. I know that Jolla in the past already anitcipated Lawsuits against Google and to my knowlegde were successfull. Long say, it is more then just money that a new market member needs today to enter such a protected market. I hope this i not too off-topic for you :slight_smile:

Isnā€™t one of the problems that companies will have to make their apps for a third OS. I guess some companies feel one app is enough and choose either Android or iOS. Having to create for a third option is just not sustainable to most of them. They would, of course, if enough people used the OS, but I think they rather would not. Especially when the third option quite readily runs Android apps.

How did Blackberry die?

1 Like

Because their App store did not attract enough programmers. So the only answer would be an european obligation to interoperability of the Apps between the different mobile OSes, f. ex. How to build Cross-Platform Mobile Apps | BrowserStack or the usage of webapps that werenā€™t on the roadmap of SFOS in the pastā€¦

Do you practice cancel culture ???
Maybe you did get some money from that Vaccine Agreement tooā€¦

I do see the connection !!
Good point !!

I remember Ubuntu Phone used to have a simple web app builder integrated into the OS, i.e. you could use any web page as an ā€œappā€. Basically a (configurable) wrapper around webview. But I have never used that myself, just read about it.

2 Likes

Apparently Flatpak can also be used for creating cross plattform apps for Linux, Windows, Android, MacOS and iOS. But as for Webapps, Jolla had some reasons not supporting that techniqueā€¦

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/giwpdb/what_if_flatpak_was_crossplatform/

Could you get flatpak to work on sailfish os?

It is not officially supported but if you have deeper knowledge, you can get it to work, through the installation of a few missing packages :slight_smile:

I could install flatpak-runner but then i donā€™t know how to install flatpaks

There was a project by rinigus to support flatpak apps on sailfishos, but it was dropped in favour of the Qt 5.15 runtime. Essential goal was to provide a modern browser (Angelfish) to devices without android support (e.g. tama). However, besides the browser there were not many suitable apps around, because they have to be compiled for wayland and have a touch interface (and in my case be compiled for 32 bit), that narrowed down the available stock quiet a lot. In total I had the impression that - besides the browser - it is not really worth the effort, and apparently thatā€™s also the developpersā€™ stance.

1 Like

Not sure if this is on the topic. But Jolla asked about subscription model on the community meeting 15 th of Feb, how much would we willing to pay per month, to support development. I like this option, would it make sense to have some voting on this ?

3 Likes

Probably a separate thread with a dedicated poll with amount per time options would be better suited, this thread isā€¦ going places

2 Likes

Apparently earth getting greener is now getting scientists worried (fairphone pls stop planting trees!!!) Angle for jolla?

2 Likes

Uh oh, EU bros, looks like ESG is not popular anymore: The Industry Is Abandoning ESG. No One Should Be Surprised. ā€“ Paul Winkler, Inc
What will EU do with all those mandated ESG commisars in each and every corporation?

google how much forrest we loose per day in sibiria and the amazons and then tell me that earth turns greener

i get head aches from such articles

2 Likes

Iā€™d guess you did not read the article? It does not argue there are more forests etc. It says the existing forests look more green than some time before (because of CO2). Also, farmlands (industrial or not) are seen as ā€˜greenā€™ by sattelites.
They even seem to argue that it isnā€™t a good thing. So donā€™t go by clickbaity headlines.

2 Likes