Ideas for funding SFOS

During FOSDEM there was a talk about OpenDesk, apparently german gov came up with 23mil euro of funding to create an open source office365 alternative (frenchies spent their own 23mil on funding private companies to develop closed source), the money is already spent and weirdly enough one of the receivers is PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC), a very established open source brand, but I digress, who in Jolla has to sleep with Von Der Leyen to secure the shipment of 6 billion licenses of sfos (https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eus-von-der-leyen-cant-find-texts-with-pfizer-chief-vaccine-deal-letter-2022-06-29/ article forgets to mention her husband ties to pfizer), surely EU is the answer until we come up with revolutionary AGI product that will turn all of us into sfos licences (AI doomers pov), or just have sex with this broad (EU optimist pov) and we can avoid this scenario, third option is Xi Jinping until Taiwan flares up, but that’s risky

2 Likes

I don’t get the connection for this 2022 old article related to the vaccine deal for possible funding of FOSS alternatives. Also, PwC is a large American investment house which is also driven by geopolitical interests not necessarily in favor of the independence of the EU with own non-MSFT open-source office’s and for sure not in favor to fund an alternative mobile operating system. Otherwise I like the initial idea you had, EU funding is always a good idea but to get EU funding it requires an EU proposal funded which is a lot of work and mostly luck, perhaps also some good connection as well. Once this is funded, one needs to stick to the plan involving several institutions for various EU member countries and I don’t think the funding would be huge for Jolla (or the Jollyboys developing SFOS) further.

1 Like

Sure this statement is no fake news? I found no relations between Mr. von der Leyen and Pfizer.

Try a look to this fact finder article:
correctiv.org (in german)

Also Wikipedia can’t confirm your statement:
Wikipedia (in english)

Please correct your statement or delete it.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Oh right, it was just getting a board seat on a company awarded 300mil
(nothing to see here eu investigated itself and found nothing wrong EU transparency commissioner: No conflict of interest for Ursula von der Leyen’s husband – POLITICO)

1 Like

Yes, but Jolla’s proprietary components make SailfishOS proprietary; Jolla just utilises Open Source Software, hence Jolla cannot ask for governmental or EU funding for SailfishOS.

Jolla could change that at any time and make a basic, but complete SailfishOS fully OSS, while still keeping optional components as the predictive keyboard, EAS and AlienDalvik (“AAS”) proprietary.

6 Likes

If i interprete it right, Jolla will get 10 Million €
“Together with the Jolla community, we are going to develop and take Sailfish OS into the AI ​​era. The new company has already agreed on more than EUR 10 million in funding for the implementation of the new strategy,” continues Saarnio.” Wether through EU fundings or through a private investor. 10.000.000 € seem much, but seen on plattform and app developpment costs this probably is not much. For me the most promising options for Jolla would be collaborations with Huawei and Xiaomi to develop cross plattform apps, Huawei has Harmony OS, Huawei Zepp OS and both a lot of developpers behind it, which Jolla is missing. The aim would be to create a non android alternative to Android Apps, wether through Webapps or through common structures between the alternative systems. I think that probably SFOS and Samsungs Tizen share a common base with thousands of developpers, and at least in the past Samsung TVs or Smartwatches were running Tizen. What i don’t get is there is Tizen OS, SFOS and Plasma Active all 3 running on a similar base but not collaborating. I haven’t seen any phone running Plasma Active, but the SFOS community already goes into the tens of thousands of users, the the broader a common base would become, the eassier it would get to developp an alternative Appstore or Webapps. Jolla should also Lobby a bit more. SFOS is the only still existing european phone os complying to GDPR as opposed to Android which belongs to a US company, that may share private information with the US headquarters. So for the EU governance SFOS would be a solution for an independent way and more democracy, instead of supporting a spy OS, surveying half of the worlds population… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Plasma Active was > 10 years ago, it’s called Plasma Mobile by now. It’s very close to Qt upstream while SFOS sticks to “somewhat” dated versions. Flatpak could be an option but seems to be troublesome wrt binary blobs from android used for hw acceleration and stuff

2 Likes

But then actually the best Idea Jolla could do, would be split up SFOS. Make the SFOS base open source, create an organization that could get public founding. And move the proprietary parts into a private company, so Glacier UI, predictive text, Android support would be commercial, and could be licensed. The open base could benefit from an QT update that stays free for organizations, and then Jolla could put its proprietary parts on top of that up to date software packages. There would be a benefit for everybody, SFOS becoming more open, but keeping its closed parts commercially usable :slight_smile: So we could solve the dilemma of Jolla having to pay 100.000 € to use the newest qt base. What do you think!? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it really only 100k? Doesn’t seem that insurmountable, unless it’s also per install and that would rule out community editions

Well weirdly enough both of these initiatives were not EU ones but from national govs, french went with creating value in private french companies, germany with investing in foss (and with some anti-lock-in clauses), weirdly enough the govs themselves don’t want to be regulated by the EU while farmers and the rest get the knee, huh, weird

1 Like

But, forming ties with Chinese companies defeats the purpose of severing ties with US corporations, does it not? I do not want my info sent to Google, and I do not want my info sent to China. I do not trust either government. Should I have to choose, I think I would choose the USA, but at least in the case of China everyone knows that they are building a surveillance state.

5 Likes

China is certainly building a surveillance state, but they build it at China. On the other hand, US tech industry is building a digital feudalism, and all users world wide are subject to it. Personally I think that western users are more threatened by Big Tech.
I still would not want to have business with China, but for reasons of national security and the like.

I am not so sure. I’d rather have neither and I would rather not choose. China gets to the westerners through social media. Apps like TikTok and Zoom (I think) collect our data as well and the Chinese government can use the information any way they like. There are absolutely no checks and balances. In the USA there are, at least on paper. But yeah, Big Tech, Big Pharma and Big Government are threats to the freedom of the free world.

There are several Linux operating systems under development, SFOS still being the most useful, as I understand it. But the fact that there are several Linux operating systems gives some hope. I have seen in SFOS channels/forums that some apps are built in a similar way to flatpacks. The good thing about that is that there is a wider market of people if the same app can be used on several “distros”. That makes development more worthwhile. It might, however, disturb some of the things that make SFOS unique. I mean the look and feel of some of the aplications. Hopefully there could be a foundation that other programmers can tweak to get a more SF like feel.

Let’s just hope for the best.

2 Likes

The US is illegally spying on the whole world, against democratic and als juridicial principles. See alone that the NSA is surveying practically the whole world wide communication. Here a comparisation of NSA vs Stasi data, and keep in mind that the Stasi Data was mostly using papers, so they needed much space :wink:

There a lot of former CIA analysts who joined Google with the time and also due to the legislation companies operating on amercan soil, have to give access to secret services if they request it, don’t know if they need a court order for that like in european juridiction. As Google is an american company, GDPR is just in focus for european data, but who can check if they are not teansmitting european data to the US!? All Google products have open source components but the logarithms and the analytic stuff is not open to the public. So much about trust. Zepp OS is totally open source, so i think spying could easily be discovered. Who is using drones to carry out military strikes in third countries using that spyed data against all existing laws and regulations? The US, i didn’t see China doing such stuff…

Every company in China is by law obligated to give the Chinese government full access to everything in their possession. Huawei, though doing some really neat stuff, is one such company.

As I said, I’d rather not choose between the plague and cholera. That is why, as far as possible, I am not using Google and (though intrigued) do not have a Huawei Watch GT2 or a Huawei phone.

I am hoping that all the work done in Open Source circles will yield some result in expanding the market to make companies want to add apps for the Linux mobile systems. I do realize that is a naĂŻve dream, however, considering how few companies make Linux versions of their software.

What exactly is the point here?

5 Likes

Factually: To post completely off-topic messages, which already have derailed the thread.

By content: To make a fuzz about the fact that equally in China, the USA and many other jurisdictions any company must grant the secret services access to all data, if told so (by a “National Security Letter”).

6 Likes

LOL! Thanks for stopping our futile discussion. :laughing:

2 Likes

Completely off-topic is a bit exagerated, the discussion just went from calling something undemocratic if so called democracies are using the same mecanisms at the same time. So let just leave it there. But i also find it important to create public discussion about certain stuff. For example for me it is not understandable, that there is the mobile device market divided in 80% Android and 20% iOS devices, when for decades, a liberalization of the markets was demanded. Today we have this Duopoly who have built there fortresses and are defending them with all tgeir might. And now we would have a third actor, who with an according funding could take marketshares and bring a change for the better. So what is preventing it? Lobbyism, which is officially forbidden in national and european institutions. The aim would be to create such a big discussion about this situation, that the it becomes undenyable and also unacceptable in the public opinion. Also record fines against them could be used to finance such a project asSailfish os. I know that Jolla in the past already anitcipated Lawsuits against Google and to my knowlegde were successfull. Long say, it is more then just money that a new market member needs today to enter such a protected market. I hope this i not too off-topic for you :slight_smile:

Isn’t one of the problems that companies will have to make their apps for a third OS. I guess some companies feel one app is enough and choose either Android or iOS. Having to create for a third option is just not sustainable to most of them. They would, of course, if enough people used the OS, but I think they rather would not. Especially when the third option quite readily runs Android apps.

How did Blackberry die?

1 Like

Because their App store did not attract enough programmers. So the only answer would be an european obligation to interoperability of the Apps between the different mobile OSes, f. ex. How to build Cross-Platform Mobile Apps | BrowserStack or the usage of webapps that weren’t on the roadmap of SFOS in the past…