GPS/Location not working for Android apps

It worked for me for a few second after flashing gapps image but as soon as google pay services got updated it stopped working. Sometines it works for more apps sometines only for here maps. With more than 10 tryes it happened fortubatelly to have organic and maos me and even moovit working.

Three very different services although they have one thing in common: proprieatary. Google owns Waze, it has an interactive function online and is a surveillanve tool. Here (still in Jolla Store) has trackers too. MagicEarth has zero trackers and works perfect offline.

2 Likes

Here has trackers, Waze is a surveillance tool bought by Google. Waze needs internet. MagicEarth has zero trackers and works perfectly offline. MagicEarth even works on my husbands Gigaset with /e/os without a sim and is also reliable on my old ipad mini cellular without a sim.

1 Like

Yes, Here has trackers. That’s one of the places where the data comes from for the traffic info that’s used within the app. I don’t really see what your problem is with that. Perhaps you never use traffic data to ais with your route planning?

This is still bugging me bigtime. I would’ve expected III + Gapps to work much better than II + MicroG, but reverse is true for Location. How exactly does Here Maps access Location differently than some other apps, like Bolt etc, so it triggers Location icon at SFOS level?

It’s like something is blocked, but what could it be?

What might below be about

03-31 19:45:18.675   261   377 W ActivityManager: Appop Denial: Accessing service com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.location.internal.server.GoogleLocationService from pid=633, uid=10043 requires appop COARSE_LOCATION

Try to enable Location in SFOS then run GPSInfo and wait for fix and then only start android apps.

1 Like

GPSInfo sees satellites fine and gets a lock.

Yeah, failing Android apps then get an updated location, but they are still not able to trigger Location (update?) requests themselves.

This absolutely has to have a solution somewhere.

No GPS fix for most apps (#3306) · Issues · LineageOS / issues / android · GitLab related?

VICTORY!

$ devel-su
# appsupport-attach sh
:/ pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.COARSE_LOCATION
:/ ... .FINE_LOCATION
:/ ... .ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION"

Then I restarted App Support: and boom! Bolt app now instantly triggered location icon, added compass shadow on location dot, and got a lock in a few seconds (I’m suplpatched).

I’m not 100% sure whether all 3 permission grants are necessary, but it’s late, and I’ll figure out the details in the coming days - or maybe someone else here will beat me to it.

It’s beautiful: all location-usage apps work great - Foreca for weather, supermarket shopping carts, navigation, etc.

How exactly does Here Maps access Location differently than some other apps, like Bolt etc, so it triggers Location icon at SFOS level?

It’s likely then they implement their own location stack, instead of using Google Play services?

4 Likes

I’m having behaviour that seems to be related to this. I’m using Here WeGo on my 10 II. Location seems to work from there, but every now and then it starts to really stutter, then crash and Android Support needs to be restarted from the settings. Trying to start any Android app directly will trigger the message that it will open after Android Support has started - but then it never ever does.

Whenever this gets triggered it always starts with one of the following behaviours:

• reported speed gets stuck but location still updates
  • location goes into some kind of loop where replays the last X seconds over and over

Whenever I see this behaviour, I know a crash is coming.

I’m having behaviour that seems to be related to this. I’m using Here WeGo on my 10 II. Location seems to work from there, but every now and then it starts to really stutter, then crash and Android Support needs to be restarted from the settings. Trying to start any Android app directly will trigger the message that it will open after Android Support has started - but then it never ever does.

This is a sign of running out of memory. Memory leak or too many apps, doesn’t really matter.

I highly recommend upgrading to X10 III or one of the upcoming new devices, X10 IV or V. Difference is night and day. I wish I didn’t wait and struggle on the X10 II for an extra year, that I did.

Trying to start any Android app directly will trigger the message that it will open after Android Support has started - but then it never ever does.

PS this has to be an active bug on 4.5, really hoping 4.6 can bring App Support auto-recovery back to life.

1 Like

Same here with the change from XA2 to 10 III.

It might be out of memory eventually, but same same happens on my XA2 since… 4.3? 4.4? It is a regression, and it really seems triggered by the use of GNSS in Android apps, and not low memory to begin with. And it’s one of those bugs which make me wonder why it isn’t long hotfixed, given the incidence and effect.

Yeah I might upgrade to X10 V eventually, although I realy dislike the long form factor of those new sonys. Still “upgrade your hardware” as a a fix for a software bug is… not nice.

Hi I tried but something went wrong:
appsupport-attach sh
lxc-attach: aliendalvik: terminal.c: lxc_terminal_create_native: 927 Not a directory - Failed to open termina
l multiplexer device
lxc-attach: aliendalvik: af_unix.c: lxc_abstract_unix_recv_fds_iov: 318 Invalid argument - Received no file d
escriptors
lxc-attach: aliendalvik: commands.c: lxc_cmd_rsp_recv_fds: 129 Failed to receive file descriptors
lxc-attach: aliendalvik: af_unix.c: lxc_abstract_unix_recv_fds_iov: 318 Invalid argument - Received no file d
escriptors
lxc-attach: aliendalvik: commands.c: lxc_cmd_rsp_recv_fds: 129 Failed to receive file descriptors
:confused: #

Post your phone model, too.

Y’all are doing devel-su before trying to attach appsupport, right?

Yes, devel-su, than
"[root@Xperia10III defaultuser]# appsupport-attach sh

lxc-attach: aliendalvik: terminal.c: lxc_terminal_create_native: 927 Not a directory - Failed to open terminal multiplexer device
lxc-attach: aliendalvik: af_unix.c: lxc_abstract_unix_recv_fds_iov: 318 Invalid argument - Received no file descriptors
lxc-attach: aliendalvik: af_unix.c: lxc_abstract_unix_recv_fds_iov: 318 Invalid argument - Received no file descriptors
:confused: #"
Then if try
":confused: # pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.COARSE_LOCATION

Exception occurred while executing ‘grant’:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown permission: android.permission.COARSE_LOCATION
at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermissionInternal(PermissionManagerService.java:1588)
at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManager Service.java:1547)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runGrantRevokePermission(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:2287)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:249)
at android.os.BasicShellCommandHandler.exec(BasicShellCommandHandler.java:98)
at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:44)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:21719)
at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:929)
at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:813)
at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4603)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4307)
at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1159)
at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:1123)
255|:/ #"
App support is running. Micro g uninstalled. Gapps installed with play store.

My device is xperia 10 III with sfos 4.5.0.25.

I don’t know what this is about, never seen.

Could someone help me with dealibg with appsupport. Obviously I have issues with it. I couldn’t find some other cases in the forum. Maybe I should make new thread or ask zendesk for support…

I think the correct permission would be android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION. Or not. At least that permission exists while android.permission.COARSE_LOCATION does not.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your comment. Everything is fine now.