GPS/Location not working for Android apps

I’ve installed AvPlan on my X10III and it doesn’t connect to GPS for me either. Waze and Magic Earth work ok.So I think it is a problem with the way the application connects to GPS.

Yes, I was thinking similar. It would be good to find out what the difference is and how/if the problem can be overcome.

In the case of SportsTracker I have had the GPS work after a period of time but it takes a few minutes.

I can confirm that installing MicroG gets the GPS working with SportsTracker and AvPlan. You do need to enable the location options on the Self Check page of the MicroG Settings App under Permisions Granted.

GPS acquisition isn’t instantaneous and seems to be assisted by opening the GPSInfo app.

I assumed the HereWeGo app Sailfish compatibility was broken. Playing around with it a bit, the only way I can get HereWeGo to start tracking is to run the GPSInfo app first in order to acquire the satellites.

(I also tried briefly with Sailfish OS native “PureMaps” app, and I couldn’t get a GPS lock with that either. However, I didn’t persist with PureMaps because I find HereWeGo better)

I use HereWeGo on my 10iii along with MicroG. Compatibility is fine. I’ve used HereweGo on all of my Sailfish devices even without MicroG and it worked well except for the XA2 which has known GPS issues.

GPS lock on for the phone seems to be quicker with GPS Info rather than with say running HereWeGo without having GPS Info running beforehand, but that isn’t scientific. The advantage with GPS info is you can see how many satellites you have in use and when you have a confirmed lock on. I often run GPS info in the background so that when I launch HereWeGo, Sportstracker or any other app needing GPS info the app can get an instant GPS lock on.

No MicroG or Google Services on my 10 III, 4.5.0.21. Here Wego 4.8.250 works. Have traveled from Germany to Denmark, Sweden, Finland over the last days.

On xperia 10 iii some android apps don’t eve activate the gps flashing. Even if gps info on and gps fix they don’t det any lication. All weather apps, maps me, organic don’t work. Google maps, here maps, waze are working perfectly.

1 Like

I had the same with Google services installed. Switched to microG and now GPS works so it could be something Open GApps related.

Yes I’m seeing similar with X10III AND Open GApps, even suplpatched. Here WeGo at least activates top icon, but many Android apps request Location permission, then fail to seemingly do anything with it.

X10II on MicroG worked better.

plus Czech Republic, Austria, Poland, Netherlands, Switzerland

It worked for me for a few second after flashing gapps image but as soon as google pay services got updated it stopped working. Sometines it works for more apps sometines only for here maps. With more than 10 tryes it happened fortubatelly to have organic and maos me and even moovit working.

Three very different services although they have one thing in common: proprieatary. Google owns Waze, it has an interactive function online and is a surveillanve tool. Here (still in Jolla Store) has trackers too. MagicEarth has zero trackers and works perfect offline.

2 Likes

Here has trackers, Waze is a surveillance tool bought by Google. Waze needs internet. MagicEarth has zero trackers and works perfectly offline. MagicEarth even works on my husbands Gigaset with /e/os without a sim and is also reliable on my old ipad mini cellular without a sim.

1 Like

Yes, Here has trackers. That’s one of the places where the data comes from for the traffic info that’s used within the app. I don’t really see what your problem is with that. Perhaps you never use traffic data to ais with your route planning?

This is still bugging me bigtime. I would’ve expected III + Gapps to work much better than II + MicroG, but reverse is true for Location. How exactly does Here Maps access Location differently than some other apps, like Bolt etc, so it triggers Location icon at SFOS level?

It’s like something is blocked, but what could it be?

What might below be about

03-31 19:45:18.675   261   377 W ActivityManager: Appop Denial: Accessing service com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.location.internal.server.GoogleLocationService from pid=633, uid=10043 requires appop COARSE_LOCATION

Try to enable Location in SFOS then run GPSInfo and wait for fix and then only start android apps.

1 Like

GPSInfo sees satellites fine and gets a lock.

Yeah, failing Android apps then get an updated location, but they are still not able to trigger Location (update?) requests themselves.

This absolutely has to have a solution somewhere.

No GPS fix for most apps (#3306) · Issues · LineageOS / issues / android · GitLab related?

VICTORY!

$ devel-su
# appsupport-attach sh
:/ pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.COARSE_LOCATION
:/ ... .FINE_LOCATION
:/ ... .ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION"

Then I restarted App Support: and boom! Bolt app now instantly triggered location icon, added compass shadow on location dot, and got a lock in a few seconds (I’m suplpatched).

I’m not 100% sure whether all 3 permission grants are necessary, but it’s late, and I’ll figure out the details in the coming days - or maybe someone else here will beat me to it.

It’s beautiful: all location-usage apps work great - Foreca for weather, supermarket shopping carts, navigation, etc.

How exactly does Here Maps access Location differently than some other apps, like Bolt etc, so it triggers Location icon at SFOS level?

It’s likely then they implement their own location stack, instead of using Google Play services?

4 Likes

I’m having behaviour that seems to be related to this. I’m using Here WeGo on my 10 II. Location seems to work from there, but every now and then it starts to really stutter, then crash and Android Support needs to be restarted from the settings. Trying to start any Android app directly will trigger the message that it will open after Android Support has started - but then it never ever does.

Whenever this gets triggered it always starts with one of the following behaviours:

• reported speed gets stuck but location still updates
  • location goes into some kind of loop where replays the last X seconds over and over

Whenever I see this behaviour, I know a crash is coming.

I’m having behaviour that seems to be related to this. I’m using Here WeGo on my 10 II. Location seems to work from there, but every now and then it starts to really stutter, then crash and Android Support needs to be restarted from the settings. Trying to start any Android app directly will trigger the message that it will open after Android Support has started - but then it never ever does.

This is a sign of running out of memory. Memory leak or too many apps, doesn’t really matter.

I highly recommend upgrading to X10 III or one of the upcoming new devices, X10 IV or V. Difference is night and day. I wish I didn’t wait and struggle on the X10 II for an extra year, that I did.

Trying to start any Android app directly will trigger the message that it will open after Android Support has started - but then it never ever does.

PS this has to be an active bug on 4.5, really hoping 4.6 can bring App Support auto-recovery back to life.

1 Like