Email rejected due to a non breaking space in subject line

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100 % with a certain email
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: X 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

Sending a email with non breaking space in the subject line (see below) is rejected due do bad characters.

PRECONDITIONS:

Received an email with a non breaking space in the subject line. The error message had the original message attached. The subject startet with:

Re: Aw:�Re: �Re:

If I look at the source code of the email it looks like this:

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Re:

There was a non breaking space entered. The first one seems to come from an Android app:

Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit WEB.DE Mail gesendet.

The second one must have come from the Jolla mail client. Interesting that Web.de rejects its own subject lines… Or does the Mail client change the non breaking space to a different one? There a plenty of different none braking spaces on unicode.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Respond to an email with a non breaking space in subject line

EXPECTED RESULT:

Email should be received as it is when sent through Thunderbird (same account)

ACTUAL RESULT:

Email was rejected to bad characters

MODIFICATIONS:

None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

here

SailfishOS is unable to print non breaking space correctly, but my mails sent correctly.

As English isn’t my mother tongue, I’m not sure to understand what you mean with rejected?

1 Like

As I replied in your original thread, I’m not at all convinced it’s SFOS that’s at fault here.

Have you tried sending an email with a nbsp in the subject from one of your other devices (laptop, desktop, etc.) and see if web.de rejects it, too?

Similarly, this does also look to me like the issue is with the receiving server rejecting the email due to the characters in the subject line. I’ve therefore marked this as “fixed” since if that’s the case, then it’s not something that can be addressed from the Sailfish side. However, if I’ve misunderstand, please correct me and I can remove the tag.

Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
I experience this issue only when I was replaying to emails from SFOS. If I replied from my laptop the email was not rejected. Therefore my assumption was that the mail client did change the encoding or something like that.
In case I am the only one with this issue than please focus on some more severe issues.