Duplicate music album in mediaplayer

REPRODUCIBILITY: 0% (not specified)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.24
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.1.23 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: Deutsch (user: de_DE, os: de_DE.utf8)
REGRESSION: not specified

DESCRIPTION:

If an album has different years but the same name, it is twice in the list

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. have an album with metadata like this:
$ tracker3 info * | grep Album | sort | uniq
'nmm:musicAlbum' = 'urn:album:schade%20kaputt:PAULA%20
PAULA:2022-01-01'
'nmm:musicAlbum' = 'urn:album:schade%20kaputt:PAULA%20
PAULA:2023-01-01'
'nmm:musicAlbumDisc' = 'urn:album-disc:schade%20kaputt
:PAULA%20PAULA:2022-01-01:Disc1'
'nmm:musicAlbumDisc' = 'urn:album-disc:schade%20kaputt
:PAULA%20PAULA:2023-01-01:Disc1'
  1. List albums in mediaplayer

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Either there is only one album, or there is some hint why there are two

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Two albums with same name and cover are displayed

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.10+git2

I have the same issue with exactly one album:

[defaultuser@Phone22 Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica]$ tracker3 info * | grep Album | sort | uniq
  'nmm:musicAlbum' = 'urn:album:The%20Moon%20&%20Antarctica:Modest%20Mouse'
  'nmm:musicAlbum' = 'urn:album:The%20Moon%20&%20Antarctica:Modest%20Mouse:2000-01-01'
  'nmm:musicAlbumDisc' = 'urn:album-disc:The%20Moon%20&%20Antarctica:Modest%20Mouse:2000-01-01:Disc1'
  'nmm:musicAlbumDisc' = 'urn:album-disc:The%20Moon%20&%20Antarctica:Modest%20Mouse:Disc1'

Iā€™m looking at the mp3 tags with mutagen now to see if I can spot something.

Itā€™s so tedious

Tried unplayer and sees albums as same album if tags are the same, and so does every other player i tried

But if you have one single tag that mismatch, the jolla media player will make a double entry, even if the different tag is just a comment or a subtitle

Itā€™s a shame cause the default media player has such a nice interface, but so frustrating to use at times

Would have to look up the reason, but for me every song is trippled :smiley:

You need to check the (ID3?) tags for all album tracks, and compare them.

Are identical tracks double-grouped under 2 different albums? Are half the tracks under 1 album tag, the other half under the other?

Please be precise.

FWIW, I also see the problem if albums are tagged inconsistently.

@ohnonot As you can see from the output above, the album tag is the same, but the year differs.

1 Like

What I meant is you need to look at all tags of each affected track (the actual file). You can use something like mediainfo which is available in either openrepos or chum.

All Iā€™m saying is that there can be a perfectly valid reason why the media player does that, and the only thing you can do is to fix the tags in the files.

@ohnonot this is why i wrote this:

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Either there is only one album, or there is some hint why there are two

If i have album x from year 1990 and x from 2020 then those are likely intentional different albums. Thus the feature makes sense. But it is annoying that it does not indicate why it is duplicated

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s of interest, but, I do get errors on the one or other track of that Model Mouse album. On device (mutagen via zypper). EDIT: no, those errors donā€™t apply.

>>> from pathlib import Path
>>> from mutagen.mp3 import MP3
>>> from mutagen.easyid3 import EasyID3
>>> pathlist = Path('/home/defaultuser/Music/Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica').glob('**/*.*')
>>> for path in pathlist: 
...   audio=MP3(path, ID3=EasyID3)
...   print(audio)
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['3rd Planet [BBC Radio 1 Session Radio Edit]'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['16'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Wild Packs Of Family Dogs'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['10'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Lives'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['13'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['3rd Planet'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['1'], 'date': ['2000']}

SNIP

So, perhaps itā€™s related to a track having issues?

EDIT 2: Ok, so, that was an error trying to read the cover jpg. For that this Album, mutagen reads the album tag consistantly: [ā€˜The Moon & Antarcticaā€™]

So, it looks like the tags are consistent at least where mutagen is concerned.

On linux box: MediaInfoLib - v21.09

I do seem to get

mediainfo *.mp3 | grep Album\
Album : The Moon & Antarctica
SNIP
for only 18 of 19 tracks.

EDIT: jeez, well, there are only 18 tracks. So, mediainfo show the same Album tag for every one of the tracks just as mutagen.

I donā€™t think itā€™s the Album tag.
EDIT2, maybe an id3v1/ vs v2/ issue?

Thank you for reporting the issue.
Internal bug filed. Tracking tag set.

Tracker deciding music files with different years on the metadata to have different albums is an years old feature. See e.g. Songs with identical "Album" tag are split up into many different albums (#107) Ā· Issues Ā· GNOME / gnome-music Ā· GitLab

Agree that itā€™s annoying as the metadata is too often slightly wrong. Donā€™t have good ideas to easily indicate the reasons for duplication on the UI either.

1 Like

It would help if the metadata could be displayed, that would help most users to figure it out themselfes.
maybe just a longpress menu and a button that shows what tracker responded?

Well, The odd thing is that reading the meta data with mutagen, itā€™s completely consistent. So, that indicates that some additional logic is involved. If ONLY the album tag were considered, there would never be duplicates. So, the question is where is the additional logic? A link to the sfos repos?

@poetaster Are you sure album name and release date are exactly the same?

Hereā€™s the entire output from the device:

from pathlib import Path
from mutagen.easyid3 import EasyID3
from mutagen.mp33 import MP3
pathlist = Path('/home/defaultuser/Music/Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica').glob('**/*.mp3')
for path in pathlist: 
   audio=MP3(path, ID3=EasyID3)
   print(audio)
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['3rd Planet [BBC Radio 1 Session Radio Edit]'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['16'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Wild Packs Of Family Dogs'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['10'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Lives'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['13'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['3rd Planet'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['1'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Custom Concern [Instrumental BBC Radio 1 Session Version]'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['18']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['What People Are Made Of'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['15'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['I Came As A Rat'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['12'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Life Like Weeds'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['14'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['The Cold Part'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['7'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Gravity Rides Everything'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['2'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['The Stars Are Projectors'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['9'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['A Different City'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['6'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Paper Thin Walls'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['11'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Perfect Disguise'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['4'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['5'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Dark Center Of The Universe'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['3'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Perfect Disguise [BBC Radio 1 Session Version]'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['17'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Alone Down There'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['8'], 'date': ['2000']}
{'album': ['The Moon & Antarctica'], 'title': ['Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes [BBC Radio 1 Session Version]'], 'artist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'albumartist': ['Modest Mouse'], 'tracknumber': ['19']}
>>>

It looks like the BBC tracks donā€™t have a date at all?!

What tracker in detail responds should is an implementation detail which shouldnā€™t be exposed to the user by itself. The year of the album is a piece of metadata we could be showing to the user but a longpress menu for such a thing would feel quite random UI. Some ā€œdetailsā€ item on album page could be one thing but if that would only contain year it would be also strange.

Well, The odd thing is that reading the meta data with mutagen, itā€™s completely consistent. So, that indicates that some additional logic is involved. If ONLY the album tag were considered, there would never be duplicates. So, the question is where is the additional logic? A link to the sfos repos?

There is no additional logic, itā€™s all tracker-miners coming up with different album identifier if there are different years on different files or some files missing the year. See nmm:musicAlbumDisc at the beginning.

As I mentioned in my last post, there are three cases in the album where date is simply missing. I donā€™t get the logic. One folder, all album tags the same. Why does date play a role? It simply looks and acts like a bug.

i just bought some music on bandcamp, then transferred to the phone via lollypop, and two songs from the same artist have same cover despite being different releases (itā€™s not the same album) with different year, plus some other mp3 (not bought on bandcamp) are showing in unplayer but not in default media player

and to end all, those files downloaded at bandcamp were all flacs and default player is being quite slow in loading them

honestly speaking, despite loving the ui, i feel the default player has become really frustrating to useā€¦

opened multiple issues on here but i always got no response at all, so i really hope that it will get some love other than covers on lockscreen (which are beautiful by the way), cause as it stands iā€™ve started using the android bandcamp app, not the fastest on the xa2 but at least itā€™s bug freeā€¦

Logic is: mediaplayer app shows albums grouped by album identifier instances. Album identifier is created by tracker-miners which indexes the files in the background. Trackerā€™s logic creates different album identifiers for files that have different year on the metadata, missing year interpreted as different than a year existing. In other words: itā€™s tracker that says that these are different albums even if the artist and album names are the same.

In case youā€™re more interested on the logic, suppose this was the change introducing the behavior: tracker-extract: Use date as album uri identifier (fb30a3f6) Ā· Commits Ā· GNOME / tracker-miners Ā· GitLab

Would hope thereā€™s no particular change that would have made the app worse to use (well, except updating the tracker to use above mentioned commit some years ago). I could aim to check your reports when I have time. At least one I noticed fixed but not mentioned in the forum.

2 Likes