Community meeting on 17th October 2024

Schedule: Thursday 2024-10-17T07:00:00Z   :world_map: :date:

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• Add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • Indicate how much time you’ll need so we can time-box the meeting accordingly.
  • Please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic.
  • If you can’t make the meeting please ask and name a substitute.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: always ask for more time than you anticipate your topic needs!

Please have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting so we can prepare good answers. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic).

• Name/IRC nick:
  • Topic:
  • Some details about the topic:
  • Approx. time needed:
  • Substitute (optional):

Open Pull Requests:
If you have, or know of, a pull request that’s been open for at least 3 weeks, but which you think deserves attention, please add a comment using the template below and we’ll consider it during the next meeting.

• Name/IRC nick:
  • Open PR URL:
1 Like

What are Jolla’s plans on re-releasing the ca. 15 Open Source Software components at GitHub, which had been released by Jolla between September and October 2023?
Jolla retracted them all by the end of October 2023, and did not react to any further inquiries on their future.

Hence I asked about half a year later at the “IRC community meeting 2024-02-29”, but the reply was rather vague and unspecific: “You’ll hear about this. At the end you likely (should) see more components available.”
Well, I have not heard anything about this meanwhile, and as a first step I would be glad if Jolla simply re-releases the OSS components it once already did release, again. More than a year has passed since these repositories were originally released, their content and licensing were not at all unusual (minor components, mostly BSD-licensed), hence I am asking what the specific reasons are which prevent a re-release?

This is a crucial point (and has been since Jolla’s insurrection): Does Jolla define themselves as an OSS-company or as a proprietary software company which utilises OSS?
I still do expect a “open source promise” from Jolla (i.e. now, Jollyboys), which clearly states that all their own, SailfishOS-related software assets will be open-source-licensed in the moment they become bankrupt and that Jolla will continuously work towards this goal (regardless of their finances). Otherwise co-developing SailfishOS and its ecosystem makes little sense.

9 Likes
  • Name /IRC nick: cquence
  • Topic: Jolla Weather App
  • Some details about the topic: Any updates on restoring/opensourcing/creating a plug-in architecture to load custom weather backends for the weather application? I really like MeeCast but I do miss the orginal Jolla weather app.
  • Approx. time needed: 2mins
  • Subsitute (optional):
5 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: Systematics
  • Topic: Decouple the device encryption password with the login screen
  • Some details about the topic: As raised concern in previous meetings I would like to use a long and complex device encryption password for my smartphone. Without a fingerprint reader I would need to type the long and complex password (special characters) every time if I want to unlock my phone. The C2 does not have a fingerprint reader. What is the current state of decoupling the password?
  • Approx. time needed: 1 minutes and 11 seconds
  • Substitute (optional): I won’t join the meeting in person, but will read the log.

@rinigus proposal

Raised the question on a previous community meeting:

Log from the Community meeting where I raised that question:

07:12:05 <rainemak> #topic Decouple the device encryption password and login screen password (1min -- asked by Systematics)
07:12:13 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> Does Jolla planning to decouple the device encryption password
07:12:13 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> and login screen password? A strong encryption for a mobile
07:12:13 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> device is important. For reaching a strong encryption, a complex
07:12:13 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> and long encryption key is needed. Passing that key one time at
07:12:13 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> the boot is not a problem but for regular usage (unlock) it
07:12:15 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> could be difficult. The Jolla Community Phone does not has a
07:12:16 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> fingerprint sensor, the Sony Xperia does have a fingerprint so
07:12:18 <rainemak> #info <Systematics> there was a “workaround” for unlocking in on these devices.
07:12:20 <rainemak> Giving 5 mins as well.
07:12:54 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Thank you Systematics! Like pherjung commented after you, this has
07:12:54 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> been proposed earlier. Could be something to consider.
07:12:54 <rainemak> #link https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/allow-to-decouple-luks-password-from-used-security-code/7950
  • Name/IRC nick: rinigus
  • Topic: SB2 bugs prevalent in Qt6 builds
  • Some details about the topic: We have frequently wrong permissions for files that were generated during package builds of Qt6. Similar was for Qt515. Corresponding bug report was filed a while ago. Any progress regarding it?
  • Approx. time needed: 7 min
  • Substitute (optional): @piggz

Corresponding bug: SDK sometimes creates files with 000 permissions

Bug report updated with the example from Qt6 build.

Please note that I may not be able to make it to the meeting. Please provide the response and I will be able to read it from the logs. I am not sure whether @piggz would be able to make it either.

1 Like
  • Name /IRC nick: cquence
  • Topic: SFOS 5.0 telephony and data stack
  • Some details about the topic: Can you please provide some clarification wether the new telephony and data stack will become the new standard for all devices? If not, which devices will be getting it? Since C2 doesn’t support 5G, what are the plans for enabling 5G in this new stack? Will you be using a different device for development? Any information you can share will be helpful.
  • Approx. time needed: 5mins
  • Subsitute (optional): I will not attend, but will read the logs afterwards.