Cell Broadcast alerts (Germany)

Fun fact: they actually HAD sirens in place in the Ahrtal flood, but they didn’t dare to activate them because no one felt responsible:)

4 Likes

Can someone explain why warning apps NINA or KATWARN (Germany) do not work? I know they use Google services, but I was hoping microg can help.
(Sony 10III, 4.4.0.72)
btw: Also cellbroadcast on 8th Dec did’nt work for me.

Thanks and best regards, Uwe.

There is the native app apocalypse which provides katwarn service for sfos on openrepos.

3 Likes

yes, I already installed apocalypse, but unfortunately this does not have an active warning. I just would like to know, why e.g. microg does not help to make Katwarn or Nina working.
Thanks anyway. Best regards, Uwe.

Hi Uwe,
Apocalypse warns with a loud sound and a notification.
I see 3 preconditions:

• location is set in settings
  • sound is turned on in settings
  • app is still running (no daemon running if app is closed?) … this is probably the biggest obstacle, since the ram management kills background running apps once in a while, if ram is short

cheers

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.
Best regards, Uwe.

I do t know if its even related on a Sim card. I had an iPhone Xr laying around that had no Sim inserted (but WiFi connection) and also got the notification. Sadly I can’t help with SFOS on that topic cause my 10 III was offline…

All this raises a few questions: Can you access the previous messages somehow? Does someone know if this is used in Finland? (Think: is this national or international piece of tech)

Today (9/3/23 at 11:00) there was a second test for emergency cell broadcasting on some parts of Germany, among them where I live.

Well, I did not get anything…
(Xperia 10 III running on SFOS 4.5.0.18)

I got it on XZ2 Compact Tama Port, 4.5.0.18 with blau.de Carrier:

1 Like

As I live in Lübeck, I should have gotten the 1st real one in Germany a month ago or so. No SFOS phones got anything, but my iPhone didn’t got anything either, maybe because of Multisim? Anyway, all other inserted SIMs I have also didn’t got anything, but my flatmates did. This is just a broken shitpiece of technology, the money they waster should have gone into sirens.

Today i did not received the alarm for the state of Bayern. Xa2 with two sim cards, one of which in roaming. However, i got the warning some months ago when it was exercised at federal level. Edit: o2 sim card

I did receive the test alarm in the region of NRW today on my XA2 Ultra single SIM with SFOS 4.5.0.18. My provider is O2. However, there is still no alarm sound, and after the pop-up is swiped away, no notification or anything is left.

1 Like

On my XA2+ I got a warning, with vibration alarm but no audio, in Munich / Bavaria on Vodafone (primary SIM) / Congstar (Telekom, secondary SIM)

I also received today the broadcast message on my Xperia X10 II. First in German and some seconds later in English. Both signals were supported by vibration. My mobile provider is Edeka Smart (Telekom D1).

Just like with us with an XA2 with SFOS 4.5.0.18 and 1and1/O2. An acoustic message by unpleasantly loud vibration and a German and then an English message when you clicked.
Good system, keep it up…

In my case, being also in Munich and also on Vodafone on my Xperia 10 III (only using one SIM), it did not work…

2 Likes

Today there was a cell broadcast in my city. My IPhone (Deutsche Telekom) received it. Unfortunately my Sony Xperia 10 III with SailfishOS X 4.5.0.21 did not. The smartphone is enabled, WLAN and mobile connection (2.5G) as well. The provider is Aldi Talk.

I love SFOS but I am very disappointed about that. :frowning: It is surprising that the test cell broadcast had worked in the past with SFOS on a Xperia XA2.

1 Like

My first guess is that it wasn’t delivered over 2(.5)G, because the devices supporting only it tend to be the un-smart kind and wouldn’t be able to receive the broadcast in the first place… Do you know anyone who received it while using only 2G?

2 Likes

How about using the „Apocalypse” app by black_sheep_dev? This will provide all warnings from multiple warnings services in Germany. Well, it’s not cell broadcast via 5G but better than nothing.

3 Likes