Best current hardware running Sailfish

I’m not sure @Cryx is talking about the specific issue or just that compared to Gcam or the Sony Android app the camera quality of SailfishOS is lacking in general.

(Yes, I’m a bit of a stuck record on this issue.)

1 Like

It’s both. First it’s true, Sailfish Camera App lacks in generell. It’s very slow, needs long time to focus. And it doesn’t support 4K video on XA2, but Sony camera on XA2 Android (before flashing Sailfish) was capable of that. So the lacks, of Sailfish camera are are in responsibility of Jolla, not Sony.
I second, my answer primary was about the XZ3. It’s a good phone to my mind (use it as daily driver cause Sailfish OS sadly doesn’t fulfill my needs) and I would be glad to get a full (official supported by Jolla) Sailfish running on it with Android Support. And in this case I would also love to see an improved camera app. Knowing that this may be a dream it would be nice to use the original Sony camera apps, but this is not possible cause of AOSP.

1 Like

I have been able to use a Gcam port on Sailfish OS. Didn’t notice a lot of difference unfortunately :neutral_face:

Little update from my side I finally switched to an XA2, one week ago, after reading all your answers here.
Many many thanks to all your responds they were really helpful.
Unfortunately a bit too fast, as the thread afterwards talked about the XZ Phones that I had never heard of. The XZ3 (Sony has quie stupid modell names tbh.) might have been even my preference, but for the moment I need Android support for messaging and sadly browsing…

I also would like to get Android support seperately from Jolla, if the phone is not officially supported.
For people like me this would open phone opportunities massively.

Anyway so far I like the XA2 …you really feel the performance boost compared to the Aqua Fish (although it never felt slow) but I have also two complains:

1. It’s HEAAAAVY… I mean annoyingly heavy, Talking about putting a brick in your pocket every thime you wanna go outside.
  2. It’s big… the screensize is a plus (pun intended) but I feel ridiculous with it… I feel like the guy in TriggerHappyTV talking with his huge Nokia Phone https://youtu.be/vGHc29CjDsI

Yes I want more powerful hardware like this maybe with max. 5" screens… Sailfish on such a device feels rocket fast. I played a bit with the stock android before updating to Sailfish and after 1 hour I felt my anger come up, all the trash that you can’t turn off, constantly something popping up informing you about stuff you don’t care and the crippled UI functionalities that feel like I am a child that needs supervision made it evident to me… I stay with Sailfish even If I have to use the Android layer to keep essential functionalities for me available…
Installing Sailfish on such hardware to me IS AN UPDATE from Android…

1 Like

… Yes … and the bricks getting bigger and bigger … every year… :unamused:

3 Likes

The xz2 compact:

• Is reasonably sized (quite close to the dimensions of J1 -even though i would prefer it if it was a bit smaller).
  • Feels good in the hand.
  • One of the fastest devices running SFOS

In other words its the “perfect” HW for SFOS. If you can live (assuming you will look into the issues) with a non officially supported device its an option.

4 Likes

… and is difficult to be found in new condition for a reasonable price. But that’s the same for the XA2 product line meanwhile.

You are right that size is not everything as whilst the XZ3 seems quite a bit larger than XA2 there is no comparison as to how XZ3 feels in hand compared to sharp angularity of XA2; although some users may find the glass back to XZ3 too slippery without a cover, it has advantages for wiping down with alcohol wipes during Covid19 pandemic.

1 Like

And you’re on XA2 Plus now?
Because XA2 is just 1cm taller, right?

It’s actaully an XA2 Ultra thats also why it is so massive… I’m still not used to its size and weight especially while using it lying… but the speed is absolutely top

Aha… no Android on XZ2 Compact… it’s not so good :frowning:

Another datapoint. I got an XA2 Ultra as I couldn’t find an XA2. Size is the biggest issue and it makes one handed operation quite difficult - for example, using the right hand the X for browser tabs is unreachable without marking a hit on the screen elsewhere.

Battery life is generally good, though every now and then there’s something that drains it relatively quickly, even when not in use, and a reboot fixes it. Not that often (in my experience), probably less than once a month.

Mobile signal capture doesn’t seem quite as good/quick as phones owned by other family members. I think that may be the device (rather than SF), as in my old X it was at least as good.

Performance is very good though, and as far as I can think of, everything runs smoothly.

I’ve got a XA2 Ultra here and I have to say that performance is OK at best. No big complaints when moving through the SFOS menus, but the performance of the web browsers (tested SFOS browser, Bromite, F-Droid Fennec) feels just slow compared to my iPhone SE 2020. Also switching between apps IMHO could be faster. Same for using Android apps like Signal: e.g. when switching between chats there are short lags, which you aren’t used to, when coming from an iPhone.

The Snapdragon 630 of the XA2 Ultra is just far behind a modern mobile CPU. Having a look at Geekbench5 values it scores around 170 single core. A more modern Snapdragon 730 scores about 550 single core, while an iPhone SE scores about 1300 single core.

I’d be more than happy to get a device with faster CPU.

Is comparing the two justified?

3 Likes

Yes, because there is no officially supported faster hardware for SFOS available.

do you think this is a valid argument?

2 Likes

Yes.
Do you think your questions are of any use? :stuck_out_tongue:

Then buy an Xperia 10 Plus or the likely “soon” to be supported Xperia 10 II.
Both have an SoC with “big cores” (plus four “little” ones"), hence much more single thread and aggregated CPU performance than the Xperia 10 (without “Plus”) and all Xperia XA2 models.

2 Likes

If you do not understand the use of my questions, there is no help for you, sorry.

1 Like

Xperia 10 Plus seems to have the same outdated Snapdragon 630. The other one does not have support yet. So not an option for now.
That means waiting…