Best current hardware running Sailfish

The SoC of the Xperia 10 Plus is a SDM636, which is a slightly underclocked SDM660.

2 Likes

Personally, I am happy that I have an alternative. People like you @Bier are nagging in vain without complete understanding of the context. What you write is pointless. All of us are aware of the facts. You could bring up something useful here, or join the community and create a port for whatever hardware you like. Thank you in advance for that.

PS: All of us will be happy if there were more recent devices supported. There is a good reason why there are no such devices. there is enough to read and understand why.

5 Likes

@deloptes The phrase “people like you” ends my conversation with you, because I won’t waste my time with insults in web forums. Thanks :nauseated_face:

You will never be able to successfully participate in “tail comparisons” with Linux smartphones ;-).

Thank you, perhaps you’ll also stop moaning around like a child and grow up. I am personally fed of such posts and even tried to be polite to you and tell you that you can not compare apples with oranges. You have no idea what is going on behind the scene and still nagging. Good bye.

3 Likes

Hi all, let’s keep it civil! I’m setting this topic to slow mode now, just in case.

7 Likes

Indeed, it would be both courteous and polite for posters to recognise that others may have different opinions from their own and, just because they are different, those opinions are no less valid. I have both an XA2 running Sailfish as my ‘hobby phone’ and an iPhone 12 mini as my daily driver. Comparing the two … from a physical point of view I prefer the smaller form factor of the iPhone 12 mini - but sometimes I find it a bit too small to read long documents on. So, in essence I suppose, overall, I prefer the XA2 - its not too big to fit in the pocket but its not too small to be really useful. Its a bit deceptive because the screen sizes are almost identical, but the XA2 just feels wider. The iPhone is faster that the XA2 with SFOS4, but the difference is not so great as to be hugely noticeable in everyday general usage (I suppose it might be a lot faster for gaming or video work, etc, but I don’t do any of these on my phones). I’ve seen the Xperia 10 ii, but it just looks too big for me - and the specs look pretty similar in terms of battery life, etc, and I don’t need the extra speed or processing power either. The Xperia 10 i seems to have a smaller battery capacity and both 10’s seem to have a worse camera than the XA2 (although I believe that Sailfish is not capable of either using the full capacity of the XA2 camera or the multiple lenses of the 10 yet). I also seem to have an aversion to phones with glass backs - don’t know why (yes, I know the iPhone has one - but I didn’t want an Android as a daily driver, so with it being a work phone I didn’t have much choice). So, all in all, I personally think the XA2 is the best ‘current’ jolla supported hardware for Sailfish. I’d probably keep my XA2 for as long as I can until Sailfish arrives on a smaller phone.

I’m not interested in comparisons but can say that the fairly slow Volla/Gigaset 290 is a fine daily driver with 3.4. The lack of a good webbrowser is a pain but enabling defender (or managing your hosts manually) makes sites a lot more responsive.

I know it’s not a device with Android support, but both my ancient Fairphone and my Volla(and now GS290) are also fine for doing development of apps like imageworks. That does some heavy lifting using python, which is ‘not ideal’, and c. Even though it’s not even close to ideal (hand tooled assembly would be good for image editing ;)) and the phones in question are not even close to last years Iphone, Imageworks is fun to tool about with anyway. I’m building ambiences with it (and audiocut) at the moment.

Obviously, the answer is to retool the app in this case. If everything was in pure c++ (also no qml) then the processors would be fast enough.

Having done DTP in the late 1980s and early 1990s I can assure you our gear is fast enough.

Thank you for your reply. Can you DM me or join the Telegram group to discuss please.