Best current hardware running Sailfish

I am very satisfied with my XA2plus. It is the best device with Sailfish so far. I also like the flat upper and lower side. Only wished this device was available with 64 GB storage or more.

2 Likes

wow the Ultra looks massive next to the other two… I maybe will go for a Plus but actually the XA2 size suits me the most I dont like this trend towards mini tablets…

1 Like

It is (was), but not everywhere. The H4493 version has 64 GB flash.

@marcelpol. I thought I wouldn’t specify my desires (or even “needs”) because I wanted to hear others’ opinions of non-Sony Sailfish devices they use as a main phone and what compromises they have chosen to accept.

As a geek, I have the luxury of several other devices which I could use to get missing capabilities if necessary. For example, I currently use some Android apps but I have a /e/ phone I use as a mini-tablet which I could use for some Android apps if I wanted to.

The Xperia 10s are much thinner than the XA2s, which is achieved by recucing the battery size and capacity to ~2/3s. See the battery capacities documented by Sony.
IMO this is the only or main reason for the run time differences observed between the Xperia 10 and XA2 series. But note, that some of the specific models within one of these series also have different battery sizes / capacities.

… and a much faster CPU (with two “big” cores).

@ApB why so? I’d say the HW support is most essential.?

1 Like

In the sense that the officially supported devices aren’t the fastest out there running SFOS. Of course official support tops everything else and gives you a better experience.

1 Like

Well yeah there are 2 things I need like a fish needs a bicycle; android support and “device speed”, wvatever that means.
What I do in reality need is reliable support of all HW and good battery life.

1 Like

I am very satisfied with a Sony Xperia 10 Dual SIM. Most things (all I really need) are running fine since SFOS 3.3.0.16 (the latest).

2 Likes

I believe that H4413 and H4493 both have a rather weak Snapdragon 630. It’s Xperia 10 Plus that has a better CPU than the standard Xperia 10.

3 Likes

I have a Xp 10 and Xp 10 plus. The plus is faster, much faster when using Firefox nightly. Still I like the smaller one more, espessially for being smaller. I cannot complain about battery, It lasts for two days with normal use, longer than the plus due to slower cpu and smaller screen.

2 Likes

IMO 4G is the issue.

I am on Experia X and when 4G started working I noticed it drains the battery very fast - 1 day. Switched to 3G - 2 days+

2 Likes

I agree. I have used XA2 Ultra Dual Sim for a long time with Sailfish OS. There are NO issues with mine. I have minimum 2 full days of battery when normal use. H4213. But one warning, i saw a note about updating some apps, from the aptoide store, i clicked ‘update’ button… I dont do that again. Camera went bananas. So had to reset and delete everything. Seems like it is better the way i do now. I dont update anything and it just works.I have a brand new android phone only because of one single app. When that works it is goodbye to Google and Apple forever. I will pop a beer then.

5 Likes

I have XA2, X Compact, and XZ2 Compact. I basically only use the XA2 to pull files off of for my XZ2c. I like small phones, and none of the official SF phonea really qualify, so I am torn between the XZ2c and the Xc - the XZ2c is superior in the hardware department, and screen size/display quality, but the Xc is as good as official, with the awesome work of @g7, who made a patch that spoofs the Xc asn an X, so you can use official license and downloads for X on it. My hope is that development will continue with XZ2c, since it has the advantage of compatibility with newer Aliendalvik, (which I’m using now with the files I got from XA2) - the X only can use the old KitKat Aliendalvik, and better hw and form-factor…

8 Likes

Apart from the battery size: thin devices do not feel good in my hands. My very first phone was an iphone 3GS : a rounded back and rounded sides fitted in the palm of your hands. After that I switched to Jolla, with its sharp edges. The Sony XA2 and -plus have rounded sides and have a balanced weight and that feels better.

1 Like

The XZ3 is sweet, I just installed SFOS on it today. I wish there was official support or at least working Android. It’s just not viable in my country to go without WhatsApp since it is used everywhere.

If only Jolla could convince Facebook to write a native SailfishOS version. (However, that would also mean surveillance capitalism would have arrived on the device.)

3 Likes

+1 for the XZ3. Official support by Jolla to get android support on thst would be nice, but we would also need a better camera app then (or the chance to install at least original Sony camera app… Miss that cause of lacking Sailfish Camera app on my XA2)…

1 Like

I cannot understand why Exchange and AD cannot be sold to other devices with limited support. If I was Jolla I would liaise with porters, eg via NDA, and let them test Exchange/AD on those ported devices.

5 Likes

the camera issue on XZ2/3 devices is an AOSP/kernel issue not the SFOS camera app

1 Like