Android 13 and SailfishOS on xperia 10 III

Did U managed to get the mobile data working?

Mobile data does work without any problems in SFOS flashed on top on Android 13. It only doesn’t seem to work with Android 13 AOSP binaries (but I haven’t had time to test it any further, so maybe it’s caused by something else), but as those Android 13 binaries are not known to provide any benefits over the Jolla-recommended Android 11 binaries (which work perfectly fine over Android 13) then just go ahead and use the Android 13 OS + Android 11 AOSP binaries combination which has been working for me flawlessly for two weeks or so.

2 Likes

The biggest improvement to have Sailfish flashed over Android 13 base is for sure the screen.
Just put you 10 III to minimum brightness and you’ll see the green horrid screen ahahhaa
That happens on both Sony vanilla android 11 and of course on Jolla’s sailfish because it uses some android stuff to display stuff.
But I guess you can also flash Android 12 to fix that issue.
@wetab73 what you would suggest between A12 and A13? Jolla seems to say that A12 is okay too. Funny that they still suggest A11 as optimal base… with that green tint? :o

I’ve never used SFOS on top of Android 12, so I can’t say anything. For me flashing SFOS over Android 13 fixed not only the display banding/tint problem but also the echo issue, so I have no reasons to bother trying Android 12…

forgive me if I am asking a silly question, but i always understood that the issue of the system OS (11/12/13) centred around compatibility of the install routine.

and that any functionality SFOS receives from android was from the downloaded AOSP version of android that is co-installed on the device alongside SFOS itself. i.e. the process of flashing the device.

so why [should] the pre-flash system OS (13 in your case), have any effect on the presentation/effectiveness of android sourced functionality in a live SFOS flashed device? i.e. mic echo and screen banding.

2 Likes

Clearly, SFOS not only utilizes drivers / firmware from AOSP binaries but also from the underlying Android OS.

Android (e.g. when flashed via Emma) creates an AWFUL LOT of partitions, of which SFOS then replaces / reflashes only a few, whereas the whole rest remains intact, including things like baseband, dsp firmware, Bluetooth, etc.

Also, I’ve seen several times on this forum how Jolla people were saying that drivers from the underlying Android are still used by SFOS, see e.g. this post by @flypig, where when asked whether SFOS is using the installed android or completely replacing it he replies that “there are elements of Android (drivers) that are still used by Sailfish OS”.

Anyway, it is very easy to verify it yourself. While using in both cases the exact same AOSP binaries, first flash SFOS over Android 11 and note how display functionality is flawed with awful tint and banding, plus the echo issue is also there. Then flash SFOS on top of Android 13 and see how those issues are simply gone. As in both cases you’re using the same AOSP binaries and the only thing that changes is the underlying Android version, it is the best proof that it is drivers from the underlying Android what affects that specific functionality in SFOS.

3 Likes

Anyway, it is very easy to verify it yourself. While using in both cases the exact same AOSP binaries, first flash SFOS over Android 11 and note how display functionality is flawed with awful tint and banding, plus the echo issue is also there.

Like we discussed in maybe this or another thread… I flashed my X10III with A11 AOSP in Dec '23, and I don’t have echo, nor weird tinting. It was on stock A11, on the shelf for 18 months. I didn’t upgrade Android before flashing.

I’ve been wondering about tinting though… Do I maybe somehow miss it? Not sure what it’s supposed to look like, but my screen behaves perfectly normal all around AFAICS. Brightness slider is near the bottom end always here.

2 Likes

I definitely don’t have any weird tint. I probably have the echo; but presumably using a sensible volume level and having my head between the speaker and microphone works quite well (so that net complaints are like one or two). And since it was stated not to affect speaker mode, i really do wonder how people get into the situation.

I’m back on Sailfish OS, and i have also flashed my 10 III with Android 13 and ASOP binaries 11, no echo and no wierd tint on my device…

4 Likes

Well, contrary to you, I did have quite heavy tinting and color banding with Android 11. If updated OTA to the very last Android 11 version (which required locking the bootloader, as otherwise OTA updates are not available on Android and EMMA did not offer those latest A11 versions), those issues were somehow lighter and fixable using e.g. the 10 III Brightness Fix, but if SFOS was flashed on top of the highest Android 11 version available via EMMA, those issues were even stronger and Brightness Fix not always worked.

With Android 13 the problem is completely gone (without any sort of fix), so yes, for me it does the magic.

In my case it required keeping the volume at (or below) 70% or else people were complaining about disturbing echo. With Android 13 there is no echo regardless of volume level (and it is sometimes really helpful to be able to set the volume at 90-100% to properly hear the other person), so also in this case I can’t refrain from praising that benefit of having SFOS running on top of Android 13.

Yeah… so curious what the root cause differences are here :thinking: not sure if there’s any realistic path to finding out.

Depending on new devices compatibility, this problem might or might not fade into oblivion soon. Regardless, SFOS becoming officially “latest (currently A13) available AOSP-tested/compatible” would be nice for those not interested in switching devices.

I stated elsewhere that it’s a hardware issue for those who have it.

There are two different screens for the 10iii and one Android user got a new 10iii when he returned his for this very common issue. The A13 blobs seemingly fix the dodgy screens. I have yet to test this as I was hoping could we could replace the blobs alone.

If I find the thread, I’ll update this post.
[I don’t have the echo issue].

2 Likes

So nobody in this thread who has experienced echo (for callers, and when using to hands-free mode, specifically at high volumes) or seen the colour banding / green tint (especially at low display brightness) when originally using Android 11 as a base for flashing SailfishOS, has used the last Android 12 base (i.e. 62.1.A.0.675) for re-flashing SailfishOS, right? Just nosy, because that is still covered by Jolla’s statement in contrast to Android 13.
Side note: Because no issues became obvious when using an Android 13 base does not imply that there are none.
OTOH, I assume that Jolla is glad that some people test this combination.

Also, AFAICS, nobody has (just out of curiosity) tried utilising the Android 12 binaries (Lena, Kernel 4.19) with SailfishOS, yet?
Note, that one can flash and re-flash Sony’s software binaries at any time without altering an extant SailfishOS installation.
I just wonder if the Android 12 binaries make a difference and if so, for the better or worse (e.g. WRT these issues: [1], [2])?

BTW, I do not own an Xperia 10 III, but maintain this guide, hence my curiosity.

2 Likes

I did try to use Android 12 binaries with SFOS. None worked.

I did not try to flash SFOS over Android 12, simply because it is not offered by EMMA, meaning that it takes too much work to get it (you need to start with Android 11 as offered via EMMA and then make multiple OTA updates to eventually be offered Android 12 update). Moreover, to get OTA updates you need to relock the bootloader. Too much hassle for my liking. So, instead of that, went stright ahead to Android 13 (which is available via EMMA) and found it working just fine.

4 Likes

The thread I mentioned above, I perhaps overinterpreted it.

One Android update largely fixed the problem for maybe half of users. A later one fixed it for everyone. One user never had the problem. So it could have been different screens or it could have been regional variations. Sony presumably figured it out but never explained it. Given Jolla’s relationship with Sony, maybe they could ask them.

3 Likes

OK, so for test I flashed Android 12. Actually, it took flashing Android 11 via EMMA, re-locking the bootloader and then spending several hours applying multiple OTA updates: 3 or 4 Android 11 updates and then 3-4 Android 12 updates up to the highest available Android 12 version (then an update to Android 13 was offered, which I cancelled).

The actual Android 12 version that I have is 62.1.A.0.675 (the latest available).

I’ve called several people and they said that there is no trace of echo, even with max volume level. The display doesn’t exhibit any trace of color banding or tint, either. So those problems seem to have been fixed already in (or before) that Android 12 update. I will keep using it, as in such case there’s apparently no need to use Android 13.

Actually, I haven’t noticed any differences compared to Android 13. Neither advantages, nor problems.

P.S. I’ve used SFOS restored from rootfs/home image made using dd.

8 Likes

Wow, this is much appreciated! I really did not mean to trigger so much effort, but now we know for sure. I will utilise your findings for my install-guide.

Thank you very much.

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I actually did it out of sheer curiosity :smiley: I was also interested in checking if it would have any positive impact on 10 III’s power consumption. Unfortunately, it remains the same.

P.S. I wouldn’t bother to do it if I didn’t have the rootfs and home backup, which allows to fully restore everything with such an ease. Warmly recommended!

2 Likes

After 20 days of use I fully confirm that with Android 12 (62.1.A.0.675) there is no echo and no color banding / yellowish tint. Fingerprint sensor works much better than with any other Android version I’ve ever used on my 10 III.

Additionally, a small update is that both SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_12_4.19_v1c_lena and SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_12_4.19_v2a_lena binaries seem to work perfectly fine with SFOS flashed on top of Android 12 version 62.1.A.0.675. I’ve been using v2a for a few days and I haven’t encountered absolutely any problems. I think it makes a good match if both the underlying Android OS and the AOSP binaries are of the same version (in this case 12).

P.S. There are also newer Android 12 binaries (SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_12_4.19_v3a_lena.zip) but they do not work for me (no mobile network and no WiFi), just like Android 13 binaries.

5 Likes

Just as a reference, for others to understand what your point is:
Jolla recommends to use SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.19_v9a_lena.zip for the Xperia 10 III, but they also suggest to use Android 11 as a base for flashing SailfishOS.

The latter clearly turned out to be detrimental, but may be due to caution, because Jolla might have not tested using an Android 12 base well.

1 Like