[4.1.0.24][Xperia 10ii] Android apps cannot use mobile data

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia 10ii dual sim
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

Most Android apps claim to be in offline mode when mobile data connection is active.

PRECONDITIONS:

Mobile data enabled

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Enable mobile data
  2. Disable Wifi
  3. Start Android app that connects to the internet

EXPECTED RESULT:

Andoid app can access the internet

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

It seems Whatsapp is the only Android app that can access the internet when connected via mobile data.

All other apps tested say there is no internet connection available (Spotify, Strava, Nextcloud, …).
All native apps can access the internet without any problem, so mobile network settings seem correct.

Network access permissions of the Android apps are set correctly, it seems. Sim card is Telekom Germany. Sim slot is sim1.

2 Likes

I am on 4.1.0.24 too with a 10ii, and I can say that all Android apps seem to have internet access for me.

I am also on Xperia 10ii dual sim …
Sometimes – for unknown reasons – I also had no internet connection for Android apps after the switch from WIFI to mobile data.
I always could resolve it by stopping and re-starting Android support from the settings.

1 Like

I have already tried that, and also tried to switch to flight mode, and back to online mode. Behavior stays the same.
Even network restart from the Sailfish utilities does not help.

I basically have the same issue (reported here)

Hi,

I have Sony Xperia 10 Plus dual sim after upgrade to latest version same issue with mobile data only WhatsApp have connectivity. All other android apps doesn’t connect saying offline. Native Sailfish browser is fine. Any idea for a fix.

Not a fix but hopefully a workaround:
Go to Settings > Android App Support. Tap Stop. Wait. Tap Start as soon as that button gets enabled.
Try using Android apps via mobile data.

I have to add to this that now it also happened to me twice; no internet for android apps. I could, however, recover from that by stopping android support and starting it again, as advised in this thread.

10ii / 4.1.0.24.

Restarting Android App Support is working for me as fix.

10 i user here. For me this happens quite often with wifi and mobile data. What helps is disabling/enabling mobile data (or wifi - whichever is in use) - after that android apps have network. Does not help all the time but 2/3.
Would be nice to have a fix for that :slight_smile:

Don’t know if it’s related but I get the impression that I have the same issue with my MMS problems on my Xperia 10 II. Toggling mobile data / WiFi etc. helps sometimes and I have experienced similar issues with Android apps. Could this be some IPv4 / IPv6 issue with Android as well?

The Xperia X seems to be affected too.

1 Like

same problem here with 10ii.
for me it seems it is a problem when switching from wifi to mobile date and vice versa.
since I turened off wifi permanently and use data even at home the problem is gone.
randomly it still occures when I’m in 4G and a call comes. after there is no connection anymore.
but that’s maybe one out of 10 times after a call

For me its also when 100% on mobile (wifi off) - during the day with no phone calls at all, I loose “internet connection” on android

I have the strong feeling(!), that this workaround helps also with this Problem: [4.1.0.24][Xperia 10II] No Internet connection on Mobile Data when leaving WiFi if `Data acces point`: `Protocol` is set to `Dual` (default)
Perhaps it is worth a try!

1 Like

Android apps being unable to get an internet connection (perhaps after switching network connections between wifi and mobile data) seems to be a long-standing issue. I’ve definitely experienced this with my Xperia XA2 Ultra, currently running SFOS 4.1.0.24 (Kvarken).

1 Like

Thanks. This works for me. I have set to “IP” now instead of “Dual”. This is with T-Mobile Germany.

1 Like

Those who have problems in Android apps with mobile internet connection on Xperia 10 II, please report if the problem occurs with the SIM in slot #1 or slot #2 or if the slot is irrelevant.

I wonder if this is related to the problem Exchange Email Synchronisation Reliability - #5 by flypig ?

There does seem to be an issue with the way that the network stack operates within Sailfish, specifically maintaining an active connection when the underlying network transport changes from WIFI to mobile, or 2G/3G to 4G (when returning from a phone call for example) or any combination of change, even momentarily (e.g. a dropout on wifi switches to mobile, etc).

There appears to be a number of bugs, like the one above, where the root cause looks like it could be nothing to do with Exchange (as in the bug above) or phone calls, or mobile data in Android, etc but perhaps with the way the network stack itself works?

I often lose mobile connectivity in Android apps and I only have a single SIM XA2 on 4.1 - but I get this issue far less if I disable wifi …

1 Like

Hi there. Same here: Xperia 10 Dual SIM, running on ver. 4.2.0.19. Many Android applications seem to work up to when internet is required. Mostly using mobile data connection but, if I recall correctly, the same happens via WiFi. I wonder if some applications won’t run because they’d require a newer version of Android? Or if indeed it’s a bug that causes the problem.