4.5.0.16 Cannot install Chum-Gui - personal note

olf, I did ask you publicly to be more respectful, which you’re clearly not doing.
I do read documentation, I do know a bit of Linux as well. Regarding log files, I expect any system operation to be in the journal; you chose to create your own special log file, which is OK, but you can’t expect people to read the code of any package they install. Yes, I said “code”, because your so-called documentation is in github. Indeed, if I had to do that, I would install the repository myself.
I “may” test other SFOS versions, because I’m testing cbeta, to make SFOS overall better. This is something that you seem to be doing as well, hence this personal message for you.

The way you are supporting users is sub-par to say the least.
It is OK for users to do whatever they want with their systems; ultimately, if things break beyond repair, they can reflash. Every state between that and an optimal system is an interesting puzzle. It is far better to provide no answer than to do what you have been doing. In fairness, the senseless messages come mostly from you, and getting some advice/guidance is like squeezing a rock.

I won’t provide my log file because I know what the problem is. I provided some feedback about error handling which are debatable, so I won’t debate (I don’t really care). It is up to you or anybody else willing to contribute to the chum installer to consider it.
Indeed, with proper errors you wouldn’t get threads that claim that the chum installer “doesn’t work”.

If you look at these forums, you will find posts from me reacting in a similar manner to yours in this occasion - so I get you, it’s frustrating when users don’t react in the way that you expect them to react. I do think about these things and I do try to improve my behaviour - at the end of the day, this community is very small and ultimately I don’t want people going “back to Android” because “things just work” without the need to go to github to read some documentation.

I don’t expect an answer to this. I don’t care about log files or anything, the main problem here is that you need to treat other people with respect. If you don’t agree with me, at least think about it.

1 Like

If you think I am, please substantiate that by quoting a statement from me.
The way you phrased it above, it is just an accusation, which is “clearly disrespectful”.

It is also “clearly disrespectful” to authors of Free, Libre, Open Source Software (FLOSS) to use their software, then to complain publicly without providing any technical information. Even worse, when asked to provide technical information and pointed to the documentation how to achieve that, you resorted to play games with words, while still refusing to provide anything of substance and also obviously not reading any of aforementioned documentation pointed to. In my perception this is adversarial.

I do read documentation, I do know a bit of Linux as well.

Apparently you do not read documentation (at least the one I provide), else I would expect you not to spread falsehoods (e.g., in your next couple of statements); or are you trying to indicate that you are deliberately spreading falsehoods?

Regarding log files, I expect any system operation to be in the journal;

Which always has been is the case for Storeman Installer, since I made it run unattended which is also when extensive logging was introduced. Obviously you never looked into the Systemd journal for messages by Storeman Installer, which are very easy to find, because they are all tagged accordingly (with harbour-storeman-installer).

But as the Systemd journal is volatile in its default configuration on SailfishOS, plus rotated regularly, exactly the same log messages are also recorded in a separate log file, as denoted in the relevant documentation, I already linked to multiple times.

you chose to create your own special log file, which is OK, but you can’t expect people to read the code of any package they install. Yes, I said “code”, because your so-called documentation is in github.

Well, unfortunately this confirms, that you never followed any of the links I provided, because they all point to documentation written by a human (me) for humans.

Indeed, if I had to do that, I would install the repository myself.

Here you appear to expose fundamental misunderstandings about git repositories, e.g., the ones at GitHub:

1. One cannot “install” a git repository, just “clone” or “fork” it, which both does not result in installing software.
  2. Many git repositories contain documentation, some even exclusively, e.g., Jolla’s SailfishOS documentation repository.

I “may” test other SFOS versions, because I’m testing cbeta, to make SFOS overall better.

Well, simply testing something does not make it better. I have not yet seen any contribution to code or documentation from you, hence I doubt, that you made SailfishOS any better. Mind that reporting bugs is just asking someone else to make something better and even at that you failed in the case of Storeman Installer.

The way you are supporting users is sub-par to say the least.

Can you please substantiate this accusation. Mind that FLOSS comes without any warranty and without any support, thus any reply by an author of FLOSS must be regarded as a bonus.

It is OK for users to do whatever they want with their systems; ultimately, if things break beyond repair, they can reflash.

This is an obviously true statement, but it is completely unrelated to my reactions when people are spreading FUD or falsehoods publicly, i.e., to others.
I believe it is my (and other savvy users’, too) duty to clearly contradict falsehoods spread in this forum, in order to stop the originators of these falsehoods to make other people to break their devices with their evil “guidance”. Yes, I do become a bit angry, when certain people are repeating their evil advice again and again, despite the reasons why their statements are fundamentally detrimental have been clearly and elaborately pointed out to them before; because that means they are misguiding others either deliberately or due a complete lack of understanding (in the latter case one shall refrain from giving advice). It is also striking (or just naturally) that exactly these people do not follow any links provided and do not seem to read documentation.

Abstractly said, public statements should be truthful and being made reasonably. (Side note: While erring is human, insisting on wrong statements is either idiotic or malicious.) As an example, while everybody is free to believe that man-made climate change does not exist and also free to discuss this belief with their friends, I think it is the duty of everyone knowing better to contradict such a statement when it is being made publicly.

[…] In fairness, the senseless messages come mostly from you, and getting some advice/guidance is like squeezing a rock.

There is no “fairness” in this statement, because when rereading this awkward conversation, you have been hiding fact that you have a cBeta release of SailfishOS installed all the time (until the very end), even though the referenced documentation at various places (OpenRepos, GitHub and SailfishOS:Chum) clearly states how to handle this special case and a proper bug report (e.g., using the form I provide) requires to mention the SailfishOS release used.

I won’t provide my log file because I know what the problem is.

… and you expect that we just need to wait for the packages to be available in the chum repo for the latest release, without revealing what you believe to “know”. As already denoted, nothing happens auto-magically; i.e., someone has to do something about it. Ultimately, I did add 4.5.0.16 to the targets for all three architectures, when it entered EA phase (as I usually do).

I provided some feedback about error handling which are debatable, so I won’t debate (I don’t really care). It is up to you or anybody else willing to contribute to the chum installer to consider it.

Thank you for clearly stating at this point that you are not willing to contribute at all. If you would have revealed that earlier, I could have spared myself (and you, plus all readers) to ask multiple times for a bug report and the necessary information assorted with it.

Indeed, with proper errors you wouldn’t get threads that claim that the chum installer “doesn’t work”.

You do not seem to understand that a non-interactive background script (here: an unattended installer) will only emit errors to log files, which it does: to the Systemd journal and to its own, persistent log file. It is neither my or a design fault, that there are people like you who stubbornly refuse to read documentation (even when explicitly referenced) or look for information at the usual (Systemd journal) or documented places (Storeman Installer’s own log).

[…] I do think about these things and I do try to improve my behaviour - […] without the need to go to github to read some documentation.

Well, if your pondering results in a passive-aggressive chain of accusations based on falsehoods like your posting here, you might consider reiterating this step.

I don’t expect an answer to this. I don’t care about log files or anything, the main problem here is that you need to treat other people with respect.

This was a nice summary statement, which translates into: You do not care about resolving issues, just about patronising.

In contrast to that, I do care about technicalities, scientific understanding, continuous learning, truthfulness and being straight-forward.

P.S.: Maybe it would have been better to transmit your accusations via a private message, but I assume you had a reason not to do that.

1 Like