[4.4.0.64][Xperia 10 III] The sound disappears and video freeze

I have had this happen overnight too - when there are no apps open and the phone, on the surface, is idle. Very irritating as the only way I find out is when the alarm doesn’t sound. A reboot is the only fix for me.

I’m starting to wonder whether a lot of things on my phone that just ‘die’ periodically (all sound, Bluetooth, Office365 account synchronization) could be down to the same core issue - out of memory?

It may be memory pressure, but it can be something else altogether. I suspect something else, and haven’t had tgis happen in many weeks.

Are you sure Bluetooth audio dies too? I tested this twice when it happened and both times audio routed to my headphones without issues. (X10III)

1 Like

Not ‘Bluetooth audio’ but bluetooth and audio die periodically.

I think think SFOS has many problems with the lowmemory killer which needs to be improved, but there the problem is that Pulseaudio fails silently without any error, even pulseaudio --check doesn’t show anything. Other processes deal with that much more gracefully.

2 Likes

Yes when i tested it audio also was routed to Bluetooth but audio wasn’t working on the device when it wasn’t routed to Bluetooth

well if it’s a low memory issue, maybe you could just add script to monitor the memory over the time?
The only problem from what I see is to find out it’s not working as pulseaudio doesn’t provide itself any meaningful info regarding it’s working properly or not.

If something is OOM killed it’s easy to see in dmesg log.
If there’s no report of the oom killer event, it was something else.

I have a systemd checker script for that somewhere.

a side question. Is there anyone here that doesn’t have android support and still see this issue?

I remember one time when that happened, and I couldn’t find anything OOM-related in the logs. It’s not to say that it can’t never happen as an OOM side effect, but does rise the pulseaudio crash scenario a lot higher.

Since i only loose audio after the use of GPS, i never lost it while using GPS. Could it be that the bug is triggered by disabling or keeping it enabled and not using it? Has anyone lost audio while using GPS?

Do you also have loud popping and cracking sounds sometimes when you play audio?

I have a new twist on the issue: there is no alarm sound, no ringtone preview audio in the swipe-down menu slider, the pulldown menu in the Messages app freezes the application, but audio message playback in WhatsApp works, and Nettiradio can play audio through the loudspeaker. I assume Bluetooth audio works, although I can’t test it right now.

I suppose some application reserves some sink or something like that, what should I do check out now?

Edit: There’s no WhatsApp message notification sounds nor email sounds.

Edit 2: The screen went black when I was browsing journald, so I had to force reboot the device. Or just reboot, I’m not sure which one. Oh well!

When i experienced that once audio through Bluetooth was still working

During the last few months I’ve only used GPS a couple of times. Other than that, it was disabled. Guess what, EACH time I’ve used GPS I had the “total lack of audio” problem within hours after that, and not a single time when not using the GPS. Which leads me to a conclusion that this issue is 100% GPS-related. So in the future I will probably restart the device after each GPS use to avoid the disappearance of audio soon after that, usually in the least desirable conditions, e.g. when one needs to make a call and only hears silence.

1 Like

I just had 25 days of uptime with GPS disabled the whole time to be sure, and audio still broke. I did have a long session of using Bluetooth headset before I noticed this, however. Using Bluetooth hasn’t caused audio loss before AFAICT, but I think it’s worth mentioning.

1 Like

I’m 100% sure that the issue will appear when having the GPS and Android support running at the same time.

Try using Android apps and GPS as usual (a lot), but reboot your device once a week. My hypothesis is that you will not hit the issue, or will hit it a lot less frequently.

Unfortunately things are not as clear, I’ve encountered the issues even with GPS/ location being disabled. Xperia 10 III audio and video problems trigger after a period of time in use - #29 by schmittlauch

I’d like to investigate one possible correlation:

On top of which pre-installed Android OS did you flash Sailfish OS? I have to admit that my device already had Android 13 when I bought it, I had no access to a Windows machine to downgrade back to Android 11 and thus directly flashed Sailfish on top of Android 13. If this is the same for all o you, maybe some updated firmware components or settings that came with the Android 13 OTA from Sony could be at fault?

I did not update my X 10 iii beyond Android 11 62.0.A.9.11 with Android security patch level: 1 February 2022 prior to installing SFOS.
So I installed SFOS on Android 11 and experience the audio/video issue from time to time …

1 Like