4.4.0.58 (almost) breaks tablet, doesn't get past boot logo

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100% (2 out of 2)
BUILD ID = 4.4.0.58
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): tablet
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): yes

DESCRIPTION:

I’m the lucky owner of 2 tablets. Both of them had the same issues with 4.4.0.58. I performed all steps in the exact same order on both tablets:

After update dowloaded and installed (as usual with the tablet without visual feedback), the re-boot gets stuck showing the Jolla and Intel logos. Stays like this for over 30mins, then I switched it off. Various attempts to switch them on failed. I wasn’t familiar with the recovery mode, so I got the order wrong. I put the USB cable in before I pressed vol down + power. Magically, the tablets woke up! I still wanted to try recovery and at least perfom a file system check. (My interpretation was no errors were found, just some cleanup on <1% non-contiguous blocks). Afterwards, the tablets could be switched on normally (probably not the effect of the file system check, but the fact that they had been started and cleanly shut down once). But Wifi didnt work. Neither did they connect to the home network they were configured for, nor did they find any network at all during scan. I found the home network was listed twice in the list of known networks in system settings. Removing one of the entries wasn’t enough, I needed to remove both and re-boot. Then, at last, Wifi acted normally, scanned for networks and I could make a new connection to my home network.
UPDATE: Found that the Wifi bug persists. Wifi is broken after each reboot, I need to delete the existing connection in system settings to make the device scan for networks.

PRECONDITIONS:

Nothing special, just - you know - own a tablet.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Get one of the many tablets.
  2. Do incremental updates without ever doing a device reset.
  3. Upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Device boots after update or at least switches on when power button is pressed. Wifi works.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Device does not boot after update, nor does it switch on when power button is pressed. When brought to life, Wifi doesnt work.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

4 Likes

This just occurred to me last night - same problem with the tablet.

I had no issues with the Xperia 10 ii and the XA 2 though.

Do you also have the problem that Wifi stops working after a re-boot? Until you delete the saved networks in system settings?

I’ve been having the same or a similar problem ever since 3.4 or so, where 9 times out of 10, the tablet will not move past the Jolla/Intel logo. One thing I noticed is that you can tell when it got stuck on the logo by doing a few short presses on the power button. If it’s stuck, the backlight will switch between min and max brightness. If it’s actually booting, the backlight won’t change and you just have to wait a bit longer for the device to boot. I have no idea what causes it to get stuck so often or what lets it boot normally occasionally, as I’ve had it get stuck right after installing an OS upgrade and boot correctly on the boot afterwards, but it’s also booted correctly right after an OS upgrade and then got stuck on the subsequent boot. Connecting the USB cable while pressing the power button seems to let it boot more often than only pressing the power button, but it still gets stuck about 7 times out of 10.

I also experienced this bug a while ago, which is definitely somehow related:

I know the Jolla Tablet is soon going to be phased out, but it’s a shame to see it go out with a whimper.

2 Likes

Have the same issues for Jolla Tablet only.
Both issues (Wifi + Boot) seems to bit random. Sometimes i need to hard reset and to start 4 times to get it up and running and sometimes its booting immediately.

If i have issues with Wifi, the connect dialog is spinning infinite as well. Disabling and Re-enabling Wifi or restarting network does not solve it.

Issue is not fixed yet on the latest version (4.4.0.64).

2 Likes

I’m so sure they will have fixed this problem with the .72 release. Can’t wait to get home and be disappointed.

Are you still experiencing this? At least my tablet, which is on 4.5.0, boots up nicely.

It went without startup issues for quite a while, but today I had to reset my tablet twice to get passed the Intel boot logo.

Your question sort of implies Jolla has tried to addressed this issue, which seems a bit unlikely to me? The last public development activity on the tablet I have seen is reverting their own GPS breakage. I am not even sure if this boot issue is hardware or software related, it has plagued me from the start if I remember correctly.