[4.3.0.12] MMS works, but MMS retry fails, stays Waiting forever

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): always
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X
UI LANGUAGE:
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

new in 4.3, MMS messages that fail to download stay in “Waiting” forever when retrying.
if you cancel the waiting, and then hit retry, it stays in waiting forever.
this is reproducible 100% of the time for me.

note that MMS works fine for me, as long as i have the correct network settings the FIRST time i send/receive the message. (which i rarely do, since i have to disable wifi to send/receive MMS)

its only retry that is broken for me, and always used to work.

PRECONDITIONS:

none

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. set wrong MMS msg center or proxy settings (so that envelope is received but MMS download fails/hangs)
    (might be enough to just change ‘Download MMS Automatically’ to false)
  2. receive an MMS so that its marked Waiting
  3. fix MMS settings (restart phone or ofono. was sometimes necessary in the past, doesnt help now)
  4. retry MMS download (long-press ‘waiting’ msg, hit cancel, hit retry)

EXPECTED RESULT:

MMS starts downloading (as it does in 4.2)

ACTUAL RESULT:

MMS stays waiting forever

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

none

4 Likes

its jolla-messages regression. i noticed that ofono never hears anything about the message, ever.

downgrading to jolla-messages-1.1.48.3-1.8.1.jolla.armv7hl fixes the bug.
re-installing jolla-messages-1.1.55-1.4.1.jolla.armv7hl breaks it.

3 Likes

installing the previous releases RPMs is actually a perfectly acceptable workaround for me. i do not notice any difference between the versions aside from this bug, so the improvements must be in things i dont use.

i had to downgrade my other device to fetch the RPMs with pkcon download, and then copy them over to my main device, and then install them with zypper --oldinstall.

both devices are properly upgraded, with just jolla-messages downgraded, and can receive MMS even with ‘download-mms-automatically’ set to false.

EDIT:
p.s.: i was gonna try ssu release & ssu ur, then download, then put it back, but that was too scary to do on my main. is there some way to download RPMs from other version’s repos that isnt scary?

1 Like

Thanks for your effort in diagnosing this.
I have had problems a long time now as I went to 4.3 during EA.

I wondered why there were so few reports of issues, it turns out that I had turned off automatic download of MMS a long time ago. And now I got bit by this bug.

Have not been able to find a copy of jolla-messages-1.1.48.3-1.8.1.jolla.aarch64 but I’m sure my problem would be fixed with that as well.

For now I have change to allow automatic download.

Managed to download jolla-messages and jolla-messages-settings version 1.1.48.3-1.8.1.jolla.aarch64.rpm
I did it by editing files in /etc/zypp/repos.d/ to add the repo for 4.2.0.21 and then downloading those files using zypper.

Then I installed them with “rpm -iv … --force”

End result, working MMS and I can now even download some of the ones that I have missed the last weeks.