[3.4.0.22] XA2 phone calls no audio

Has this topic been discussed at the community meeting?

I don’t believe this was discussed during the last community meeting. I don’t believe it’s the right place to discuss individual bug there.

In the meantime, I’ve tried various things to try to get a reproducible version of this bug. So far I had most success with (1) switching the phone to flight mode, (2) reboot, (3) listen to music over the headphones & wait for a couple of minutes, (4) turn off flight mode. Then, try to make a call, if you don’t hear the dial tone, you got bitten by the bug.

I have experienced the same issue at time to time. Calling through Signal/WhatsApp works ok but making telephone calls requires one or two reboots. My phone is XA2 and using the latest SW 4.0.1.48 but the issue has been there at least a year.

Nice to see this made it in the newest image I just downloaded. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am also having this problem, on a freshly installed XA2 (build 4.1.0.24).
A reboot fixes the problem, but this is not an acceptable solution !

I paid 50 bucks for this OS, I am expecting that this kind of functionnality works out of the box !

1 Like

Does killing adsprpcd bring back audio wo reboot?

1 Like

I can reproduce the bug fairly often after rebooting when I don’t activate the sim card right away.

I have this disappearing audio bug once in a while. Not often. I just reboot but will try to kill this daemon next time it happens, if I remember haha

I installed qCommand to execute a script as root (real bash is installed).

#!/bin/sh

PIDtoKill=`ps axuw|grep adsprpcd|grep audiopd|grep -v grep|grep -v restart|awk '{print $1}'|grep '[0-9]'|grep '^[0-9]*$'`

if [ "x$PIDtoKill" != "x" ]
then
  #echo "PIDtoKill: $PIDtoKill"
  #kill -9 $PIDtoKill 2> /dev/null 1> /dev/null
  kill -15 $PIDtoKill
fi

So, a normal user can just tap a few times on the screen and have call audio again.
This is faster than rebooting.

Got the bug now on three devices at a time. Killing adsprpcd worked. But why on three devices at the same time??

The TimeoutStartSec=120 line is in the newest 4.1 release, but it didn’t help.
BTW, couldn’t you just do systemctl --user restart pulseaudio instead of rebooting?

2 Likes

From what I figured in my tests, restarting PA doesn’t help. Even reboot is not a garanty for bringing call-audio back. But my script didn’t fail on my devices, so far…

1 Like

You’re right. I use it on my kubuntu box, where sound also is flaky.
I will try your script. Does it need you to install a “real” bash?

Didn’t test, won’t do it too soon. If so, I’ll report…

1 Like

Thanks. For now I have audio, but I have saved your script and added it to qCommand.

I can confirm that I’m also having this issue with 4.1.0.24 on my XA2. This bug has persisted through several OS updates at this point - I would have thought failure of basic phone functionality would be quite a high priority for development of a phone OS, but it appears not…

3 Likes

Same here. Just updated to 4.1.0.24 on XA2. And audio only re-appeared after two reboots. Made us miss out on a relatively important phone call though. So, indeed, I agree this would be useful to again look into.

Hi @amaretzek,

is something missing from your script?

A single ` then no other ` to close?
By the way, the preferred way should be $(some command).

On Xperia 10 Dual SIM, I am running SFOS 4.2.0.19 since a few days. I have today for the first time no phone call audio. Everything else (sound-wise) works as before. Doesn’t seem to be a hardware issue.

What is there to try?

Yes, closing tick is missing…Thanks.