Advanced Mobile Location (AML) in Vanha Rauma 4.4.0

Is the source for this implementation available? Can it be turned off, compiled out, reverted in any way?

Or are we as of this released stuck with this mandatory spyware/backdoor in a binary blob?

[EDIT:] It would seem at least some parts are actually Open Source, see links by @throwaway69 below.
[EDIT2:] this was originally in the 4.4EA Release notes thread, I asked it to be split out.

10 Likes

Good remark/question.
Also, does that mean that devices with GPS issues (like XA2) are fixed to fully comply the AML specification?

1 Like

So the baseband will always be on, no matter if we have airplane mode active or not, like on ios and android.
I did NOT consent to this and don’t want it. Its coertion.

4 Likes

Me neither. But I hope it’s only enabled in case of emergency, on user demand. isn’t it?

1 Like

when a caller dials the local (in country) short dial emergency telephone number

(quote from Wikipedia)

If you don’t like the service just don’t call emergency numbers :wink:

5 Likes

I agree with you.
I want to decide what and to whom I will send. I don’t want anyone else to decide for me. That’s why I have a phone with SFOS and not Android or IOS. Jolla, please implement this functionality so that it is user configurable.

AFAIK it is mandatory through the EU that phones sold in Europe must include this. Making it user configurable does not make sense therefore (as irritating as that may be).

But it remains a fact that this enables sending of precise location data to undisclosed third parties, triggered by undisclosed events on the phone (and technically remote-triggered events).

As such it should at least be auditable, as in someone should be able to verify that this actually does what it sais does, and sends information to the parties it sais. An Open Source implementation would allow that to some degree. A “Reproducable Build” version of an Open Source implementation allows this to a satisfactory degree.

(Now the more paranoid will assert that this is a surveillance agencies wet dream, and while I haven’t read through the AML standard, the similar eCall standard (for cars) has provisions in it that it may be triggered remotely by law enforcement “to combat terrorism” - which translates to “whenever law enforcement feel like it”.

And even Wikipedia knows that this is already happening.)

9 Likes
  1. it is “enabled” all the time
  2. it is supposed to only activate when an Emergency number is dialled, and the (mobile) network supports it
  3. users have no say in it. It is triggered by services running at the other end of the emergeny call. In fact the spec explicitly forbids users being in control in any way and even any records of anything happening at all:

Also amusing: open admission that abuse is likely, and it’s mitigated by security-through-obscurity.

Another spec:

Lol. Yeah. As opposed to wherever it is sent.

Now on the plus side, note the wording “when making an emergency call”/" when they are trying to get help". It is not explicitly forbidden to expose the functionality in other situations. Also:

So if I read that correctly, it would not be in violation of the spec (albeit in violation of its intention) to provide a switch to the user to always send that “positioning failed” message.

3 Likes

Will AML work even though I have positioning turned off in SFOS settings?

According to wiki it turns on gps and wifi, collects/computes/sends and disables them again

3 Likes

Yes, in fact that is it’s main/only function. It turns on Wifi and location services, collects the data and sends it off in an invisible SMS message.

1 Like

So goodbye to the new version of SFOS, I stay at 4.3, I don’t need Big Brother’s supervision of my life!

3 Likes

Heh, no.

AML gives about (this varies by country) 20 seconds after an emergency call has been made to determine location, then it sends whatever it has, or “no data” SMS. As usually XA2 need more than 20s to get a GPS fix, location data submitted will not include that.
It will however still include other things like cell location, WIFI networks etc.

Should be enough to compile ofono without these kind of commits:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip, but that’s not the way for me.
For me, a feature that sends sensitive data from my phone without my knowledge is critical. Who can guarantee that this “force majeure” decision will not be used to track people, including me?

1 Like

Name your alternative. A Dect with Lambda-1 Antenna and staying near home? :wink:

Ha Ha!!! What position data (from GPS) will the Sailfish phone >immediately< send to somewhere, if a position fix by GPS needs at least 5-10 minutes under good/best conditions and mostly completely fails under poor conditions??
On the other hand, a distance detection out of the time delay of the radio waves and a cross bearing from two towers always can be made as long the phone is connected to the network.

4 Likes

One coercion after another from the statists, on top of a mountain of already existing coercions, regulations, theft. The total infantilisation of society. Deciding for me what is best for my phone, hell, even my body. My body, their choice.

1 Like

Question: Does adding this “SendDataMessage” api call on the dbus make this AML / whatever first aid system-as-a-spoof-service “visible” to the user?
Theroretically, the user could send a message with a simple shell script, no?
So does adding an API function, that is user-accessible, actually conflict with the RFC?
Considering this is an EU-wide standard “requirement”, how does android handle it?

1 Like

I am very happy that AML was implemented and can transmit my location if I call the emergency services. I was just about to request this great feature! :slight_smile:
Of course I would be okay with an option to disable it. But personally I would never do so. Once you have a real emergency and very urgently need someone to help, you will be very thankful for the feature. If you don’t call emergency, it won’t affect you.

8 Likes