Advanced Mobile Location (AML) in Vanha Rauma 4.4.0

Read more about cell phones and their second, invisible operating system that you cant control. Then come back and complain about SFOS. :slight_smile: Or just deal with the fact that a cell phone isnt private. Period.

Afair one of the libre cell phone projects had something like warrant canary, ā€œif the invisible os makes some weird stuff, notice the visible oneā€. Not sure whats the status of this right now.

2 Likes

Not sure if org.sailfishos.aml should be active all the time or only when making an emergency call, would need a faraday cage to test it without breaking some laws

3 Likes

But isnā€™t there already an emergency button in 4.3?
What was behind this button till now, actually?

Thanks for this. So at least monitoring dbus would tell me whether itā€™s active or not.

Now, how is ā€˜Emergencyā€™ determined? Is there a list of phone numbers, or is it more involved than that?

[EDIT:]

hardcoded, read fom SIM and provided by network:

4 Likes

In EU itā€™s 112 (in US both 112 and 911)

Yeah but we have country specific ones in Europe too. Austria has at least three additional ones for police/firefighters/ambulance for example.

This looks like an exhaustive list, whether all trigger aml, no idea: List of emergency telephone numbers - Wikipedia

1 Like

Iā€™m not bothered by the emergency call system, this service is fine. When Iā€™m in need, I can call first aid from my phone.
It bothers me that an SMS with some data, including GPS coordinates, will be sent when the emergency call ends, and I will not have any trace of it on my phone. So there is a service on my phone that is ready for ā€œanyoneā€ who wants to abuse it, and I donā€™t have the option to turn it off. Itā€™s as if I have voluntarily installed a feature ready for hackers and secret services. I do not like it.

5 Likes

Yes, clear.
All the SMS/Localisation/data ā€œfeaturesā€ are new to 4.4.
The emergency button we saw before 4.4 is only a shortcut to a call to 112 without the other ā€œadvanced featuresā€.

This.
A thousand times this.

2 Likes

no, all of those numbers here in Austria call the same emergency center.

I think AML is an implementation for the European E112 service (ā€œEnhancedā€ 112).
Looking at the wikipedia article, it references the EENA web site https://eena.org/our-work/eena-special-focus/advanced-mobile-location/, where it states:

The European Electronic Communications Code (Directive 2018/1972/EC) makes it mandatory for all the Member States of the European Union to make use of handset-derived location to locate people calling emergency services starting from December 2020. AML is a technology that enables the provision of such information and thus, ensures compliance with this legislation.

Starting from March 2022, all the smartphones sold in the European single market will have to offer the possibility to send handset-derived location information of the caller to the emergency services. This is already the case for a large majority of smartphones, namely all Android and iOS phones.

(italics mine)

IANAL, but to me it looks like that all smartphones for sure by now MUST offer at least the possibility to provide AML, but it is not compulsory to have it activated?

4 Likes

Aaaah, do we have a candidate for the delay of the 4.4 release here?

1 Like

I hope that emergency is determined as ā€˜user tapps the emergency buttonā€™ or ā€˜user dials 112ā€™ and nothing else. In this case there is nothing to say against automatic sending the position data. Important is that it canā€™t be triggered remotely from network side / without initial user action.

2 Likes

Or a speedup to not be non-compliant from april

4 Likes

From the links here you can see that it is indeed so.

However, the network can send updates to which number is considered an emergency number, which means anyone who can get the operator to do so can have AML activated at leisure.

2 Likes

You are so right. The GSM chip itself has a complete OS.

1 Like

Fiction:
I organise a demonstration through social networks with my phone because I am nurse and I want to ask more beds and more budget. I am a leader.
This demonstration has not been allowed for several reasons.
The demonstration block streets and causes some agitation.
One could wander if it is an emergency case to get my position, catch me and/or block my phone.
Pure fiction.

Any operator can already track you using the cellid. While AML might be more accurate, cellids already give a pretty exact location, if you are the network operator. If your network operator is trying to track you, AML wonā€™t really make a difference.

4 Likes

If GSM and GPS positioning were comparable, why would EU officials introduce AML? They could still target the caller using information from the GSM operator. As this is not the case, they are asking for more accurate GPS positioning in the sent SMS. I assume that the accuracy of positioning using GSM is in the order of tens of meters to kilometers, depending on the density of transmitter coverage, while using GPS it is several meters.