Xperia X10 - Android 10 -> Downgrade to 9 neccessary?

How to do it on Mac? I have no access to Windows PC… Very important information about Android 9 OS mandatory to install Sailfish OS is hidden under a carpet. I have bought the Sailfish 4 OS and Sony Xperia 10 plus and now I see that it is impossible to handle this on mac only. My current UX is weak… Would I like to recommend Jolla to my friends? I am not sure. Maybe it could be better solution for Jolla to start selling smartphones with Sailfish OS preinstalled.

1 Like

czesc. jak zainstakowac apkikacje z andeoida ?

Hi , Can’ t downgrade my xperia 10 dual with Emma to Android 9.

I have this message "This phone is locked to update your software go to sonnymobile.com/update
"
But my phone si unlocked .
I have paid a sailfish licence But can not used it .
Some one help me please

Are you sure? Does your phone show a message on powering it on, that it is unlocked? If it’s really unlocked it shows a message ‘your device can’t be checked for corruption … please lock your device’. Does it? If not, it’s still locked.

hi.
my phone is not locked.
jus boat it the backmarket.
But i just cant unlock the bootloader for downgrade it too Android 9.
Is the there a solution ?

This

and this

are contradictions.
If you disagree you have to give more details if you expect anyone to be able to help.

Also note that sim lock and bootloader lock are two different things.

hi yes simlock and bootloader are 2 things differents.
my problem is bootloader.
I can’t downgrade to Android9
before installe sealfish os

If you have an anwer. How to
It will great. Thank you

Unlock the bootloader:
Some infos can be found into the Secion 4. of

Either Linux:

Or Windows:

On my XA2, I once installed SFOS directly over Lineage OS 18.1 (i.e. Android 11) and it still worked just fine (I mean with no problems other than its typical issues). So I’m not sure why X10 would need to be downgraded to Android 9.

And what Android version was on the phone before Lineage was flashed?

Well, 9 I guess, as there was no official upgrade to any higher version. What difference does it make? With SFOS you’re still flashing the Sony binaries, anyway.

Afaiu, SFos and Lineage lay on, and depend of the previous installed android system.
For what exactly (talk to hardware…), I don’t know.

Isn’t talking to hardware what the Sony binaries is for?

@wetab73 , @ric9k : Very interesting questions! I also want to learn more about this and would be very happy if someone could explain. At the flashing procedure:

What part of original software/OS/firmware is overwritten at flashing time?
What part of the original firmware and the ‘old’ Android installation stays on the phone and is not overwritten?

And what do the remaining parts of android do, hidden in the dark, in the background? :smiling_imp: :smiley:

1 Like

I always understood it in a way that SFOS is a better user interface and better apps, both (in most parts) open source, but sitting on the underlying original Android low level stuff and device drivers. Therefore the dependency of a particular Android version that has to be installed before flashing a device, and therefore I think that not everything is overwritten at flashing and some old stuff remains on the phone also after flashing.

In other - simple - words: Why can’t I flash SFOS with the Sony Android 9 binaries, if there is or was Android 10 on the phone out of the box? Why is it recommended by the Jolla flashing guide, that a Android 10 phone should be flashed back to A9 with the EMMA tool before flashing SFOS?

Exactly, and - if I understand it correctly - it is the aforementioned Sony vendor binary image.

Note how you need to use the right Android version of that image, e.g. in case of the XA2 it must be Android 8 (Nile v16 or 17) and NOT Android 9 (which is also available from Sony but doesn’t work with SFOS).

It definitely is where hardware drivers and binary “blobs” are contained. For example, the main difference between the aforementioned v16 and v17 image for the XA2 is WLAN driver, the newer one having some performance issues with 5 GHz band.

The flashable SFOS image replaces system partition, flash (user storage) partition, vendor partition, and also bootloader and recovery with their hybris versions (also a compatibility layer with Android hardware), so I’m really not sure if there’s ANYTHING left intact from the original Android…

1 Like

I personally experiment the opposite.
After having read (Jolla here) we should install SF over android 8 OR 9, I flashed A9 then SF and it works like a charm (except usual bugs) since months. Precisely, I used android 9 with the V16 drivers.

You mixed up two different things. I was talking about the need to use the right Android version of that image, i.e. of the Sony binaries image, which is the image containing the hardware drivers and blobs, overwriting what was there prior to flashing it, anyway.

Both the v16 and v17 of Sony binaries are from Android 8. There is also Android 9 version of Sony vendor binaries available for the XA2 (called SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_9.0_2.3.2_v9_nile.zip) which does NOT work with SFOS, regardless of which Android version you’ve had on the phone prior to flashing SFOS (e.g. even if you installed SFOS over Android 9, Android 9-based Sony vendor image won’t work anyway). Im my experience, those two things don’t seem to be in any relation with each other. As I wrote, I once flashed SFOS 4.3 (and Sony vendor binaries v17) over Lineage OS 18.1 (i.e. Android 11), and it still worked perfectly fine.

As far as I know, flashing Lineage OS replaces the stock boot partition and the stock kernel. Then, flashing SFOS overwrites Android’s system partition, user storage partition with home, vendor partition, oem partition (that’s where Sony binaries go), recovery, and bootloader.

So I’m really not sure if anything remains from the stock Android… Except for the radio partition maybe.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, I see.
Thank you for deeper explaining.
I don’t think I’m gonna try to flash A9 binaries… Rather something that would fix some bugs like…GPS :innocent: