Xperia Tama flashing: troubleshooting

Hi Rinigus and other Tama porters. I’m trying to flash an xz2c and initially I got the message “fastboot: error: cannot get boot partition size”. I redownloaded the image file and now I get “The supported Sony Vendor partition image wasn’t found in the current directory.
Please download it from
https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/downloads/software-binaries/
Ensure you download the supported version of the image found under:
“Software binaries for AOSP Pie (Android 9.0) - Kernel 4.9 - Tama”
and unzip it into this directory.”
The binary I used was “SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_10.0.7.1_r1_v12a_tama.img”…any suggestions? TIA

Which version do you try to flash? We have alpha for AOSP10 based port and released one for AOSP9 based port. For AOSP10, you need the binary that you have. For AOSP9, find the one for it

I’m trying to flash sfos 4.0.1.48 and now I’m getting confused. The flashing instructions say to use the binaries for aosp10, the device is updated to android 10. Is there a way to find which binary is the correct one, or is that trial and error?

You read flashing instructions for AOSP10 build, in non-default branch. As you go for AOSP9 based one, see main/flashing.md at master · sailfishos-sony-tama/main · GitHub

It seems at this stage that the previous owner may have interfered with the bootloader in some way. I’m trying to reflash or repair wirh xperia companion but can’t because the bootloader is locked. I can’t relock because …"adb reboot bootloader

• daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
  • daemon started successfully
    error: no devices/emulators found" and vol down + power doesn’t enter recovery. Any ideas?

Get to fastboot mode:

• shutdown device, remove USB if attached
  • hold vol up while you insert USB into the phone

It should boot into fastboot mode and you can access using “fastboot” command. For example, fastboot devices

Then you can follow instructions on how to flash. In this case, make sure you

• follow correct branch of the flashing document,
  • run fastboot reboot-bootloader before flashing. This will prevent one fastboot bug from interfering.

Success!
Thank you Rinigus for your patience. The secret was fastboot reboot-bootloader which I had tried before but without the dash. Everything seems fine except the camera doesn’t react well to high contrasts.
Thanks again for all your work.

Great to hear. Beware that we may switch to AOSP10 based port (for better camera, but with other issues). This would require full reflash of SFOS.

Hi Rinigus, you’re not going to believe what I did to my xz2c! I have an old xa2 with a cracked screen so I decided to update it to 4.3.0.15 EA, just to see. It wasn’t charged so I plugged it in, went away… got distracted, picked up my xz2c and updated it instead. Everything works except recognition of partitions - Storage lists lots of “Unsupported SKhynix memory card” and when I tried to reflash I got “Flashing boot partition…
Sending ‘boot’ (20276 KB) FAILED (Status read failed (No such device))
fastboot: error: Command failed.”
Is there anything that can be done?

You cant update the xz2c to something more than 4.3.0.12 at this point.

Seems like he’s saying he dis it by accident…

System and userdata used to be separate files, but I think ours is all one - makes it tricky… You could try to back up what you know is important to you and re-flash…
https://openrepos.net/content/slava/my-backup

Also if you know what you’re doing, you could probably use this - https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/blob/hybris-10/backup-recovery.md - maybe could adapt it, like on step 8, just backup home, not root, or maybe you could specify more finely… (@rinigus ?)

Thanks Levone1, from what I read the problem is that as things stand I can’t reflash, nevermind recover. On the other hand, it’s pretty usable at the moment…

Updating firmware wouldn’t touch fastboot. Typically those errors can be fixed by different cable, different port, reboot computer, different fastboot version, etc…
Also, if you’re using flash script, try manually, and vice-versa

@defactofactotum: just stay on 4.3.0.15 and use as normal.

I can speculate that what you see with storage is probably coming from some update in SFOS storage settings. On Tama we have custom storage plugin which avoids listing it. Just DON’T FORMAT or use any funky partitions in file manager, camera storage, or in Settings and you will be fine. So, as long as you use regular locations for storage you are fine.

With the next OTA update on Tama you should get back to normal and those partitions will not be listed. Same issue is on few other newer devices and has happened for higher end CPUs.

As for flashing issue, I am pretty sure it is USB3 striking again or something with the cable. As suggested above by @Levone1.

Backup instructions - feel free to improve and send the updated version.

1 Like

Thanks Rinigus, I was hoping you would say something like that, I’ll wait until the next upgrade.

Just a thought - can the flashing error be that I was trying to reflash 4.2.0.12 from what is more-or-less 4.3.0.15?

Hi rinigus, I’m reflashing my xz2c and I’m getting this failure:
“Flashing boot partition…
Warning: skip copying boot image avb footer (boot partition size: 0, boot image size: 20762624).
Sending ‘boot’ (20276 KB) FAILED (Status read failed (No such device))
fastboot: error: Command failed”
Any idea what the problem is?

Are you in fastboot mode? (Blue led)

Are you using USB2?

Other than that, no idea