Xperia Tama flashing: troubleshooting

yes and yes. I first tried flashing over the existing sfos and thought that was the problem, so I reflashed to android 10 but it’s still the same. Also tried 2 different images, 4.3 and 4.4…and several cables

Is it possible I screwed up the partitions when I accidentally ran sfos-upgrade on this device a year ago? The storage partitions went haywire but fixed themselves after the next official update. Now on android 10 I can’t enter recovery mode, either by hardware or fastboot. I tried flashing the lineageos recovery and that failed too.

Try to flash stock android. Maybe that will bring it back

Hi rinigus, thanks for your help. I used Emma to go back to android 8, the earliest option available…is that the same as factory stock? Same result as before. Also fastboot commands such as fastboot getvar partition-layout produce ‘command failed.’

Yes, that’s the stock. Strange that you have fastboot failing after that. I presume all the rest is OK on Android?

As for stock version, you could go up to Android 10 to be able to flash SFOS. But, for that, you need to have working fastboot…

Yes, android works normally, both 8 and 10, I’ve tried both with Emma. There;s an unofficial twrp for xz2c out there…do you think it would help?

Re TWRP: no idea. For SFOS, you would still need fastboot to flash the images. Maybe it can be repackaged for TWRP, I don’t know.

Mirabile dictu: I tried the firmware update after the software update on Emma and this time it worked. It’s great to have this phone back again! Unfortunately I’ll never know if it boots to recovery on android now…I never want to see anything android again. Thanks for your help.