Xperia 10 III support

Well, for me it is just important that they work on the device. If they need 3-6 month, that is okay. Especially because I want to buy a used/refurbished one. It will be easier to get one when some more time goes by. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wild guess, since this is a 5G device it would be great to introduce Sailfish 5.x supporting 5G (: Timeframe if things work and it takes ~6 months sits nicely for a new release in 2022 Q1-Q2. That would be around 1year after supporting 10II. But as I said that’s all personal whishlist & speculation, being more down to earth I would be happy if the port is actually successful and becomes available at some point

1 Like

i think the support for the xperia x will be dropped then. the XA2, 10, 10 II and 10 III got update for android 11, see here Sony
I don’t know about porting to the devices, but I think the same Android version for all devices might not make it too difficult. Distinctions would then only be necessary for 64bit or 5G.

So everything is quite simple :wink:

2 Likes

indeed, but not in the way you wrote

1 Like

Sadly it is as simple as Unmaintained says: when the new Sailfish release is ready, the Sony device is (nearly) sold out. Disappointing and discouraging especially for potential new customers.
Why doesn’t Jolla change this policy? Why sticking to Sony with its rapid changing program of devices?

1 Like

Is Sony’s device schedule really that bad?

There lineup is pretty simple: high-end (1/5), midrange (10), and low-end (whatever they are). They refresh on an annual basis, and the midrange reliably use Snapdragon SoC’s.

Would you rather Jolla tried to ride the tiger of one of the Chinese brands with their rash of incoherent and rapidly changing ranges with frequent re-releases on sub-brands, and hardware revisions within single releases!

3 Likes

No, I prefer not. There has been another discussion on this topic, where I suggested a different approach: Jolla coöperating with Fairphone or with Gigaset in order to develop a device that can last longer. Multiple advantages: environment, costs, perhaps a more reliable development of updates.

3 Likes

And yes, the Sony 10 II is sold out for more than 3/4 year in my country. That’s Sony’s policy. Of course you can grab it sometimes on ebay or on an obscure website, but that only confirms the idea that this is not a wise business.

Why wouldn’t be? It costs Jolla less resources in comparison to develope a phone (they’ve tried you know) and there are plenty Sony Phones on the market, maybe not on usual shops which are pushing always the latest and greatest because on the new phones the profit margins are huge. On 6months-1 year old phones the margins are very small that is why you are not finding them anymore in the shops. Xperia 10II you can still find it on ebay.de as new. As I wrote in other posts, even with this business model it is not enough for them to survive financial. They need to bring something more on the market.

1 Like

Why not just pick Fairphone 4 as a supported target? It is likely to be available for a long time, Jolla would have a stable platform on which to develop their operating system.

Only if they had retained the headphone jack there…

2 Likes

For example price. Many people can’t afford such an expensive phone.

7 Likes

There are more issues on the Fairphone than the price.

2 Likes

It is a fair argument. I got my Xperia 10 II for about 200 € (which is OK), now in verkkokauppa.com the price would be 369 € (which is too much), and Fairphone 4 pre-orders for 579 €. Then again, I don’t think SFOS users are particularly price sensitive, especially if one Fairphone were to outlast two Sonys.

actually I don’t see a reason, why a Fairphone with SFOS should outlast a Sony with SFOS. This would be true for official Android, but here both would get the same update, wouldn’t they?

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I do not want. My family has iphones, all of them. iPhone 6s for years. Many updates. I am ending up with a drawer full of devices with Sailfish . Each phone is build with a lot of precious materials. We should not throw away so much.

You are talking about cheap. I am.talking about sustainable.Isn’t it time that we do something about the waste of materials, of the energy making it? Where does this end?

1 Like

It may differ from country to country but in Germany you can buy the Xperia 10 and 10 II still on amazon or from other stores. Furthermore it is much easier to get one of those devices refurbished/used. There just many more in the market.

I would love to have a FP4 with an official SFOS port but I can understand why Jolla still goes with Sony.

By the way FP stopped selling the FP3 already as well.

1 Like

Well, instead of buying every two years a new device, you could save money to buy a sustainable device after some time.
I have spend more money to Sailfish devices than my husband with his iphone 6s.

And two years later another one.

Gigaset (made in Germany) does customising. Volla phone is a Gigaset. /e/ foundation sells GigasetGS290 with /e/. Works much faster and better than Sony + Sailfish. So there are more possibilities than Sony.

1 Like