Xperia 10 III - OS not ready, but devices gone

Didn’t come to think of that myself. Thanks for the idea.
I tried it actually. I partitioned about 50GB partition to SDXC card of 64GB. Formatted it to FAT32.
Camera accepted it and recorded on to it.
Windows shows it is of FAT32 and shows the recorded photos on the card.
But SFOS still said that the file format is incompatible.

However, even if SFOS would have been kind enough to accept this method, I would have been hesitant to really use it in practice. The thing is - even if the camera now accepted the card, I would not have taken the risk that it would have made some error later on due to non-standard formatting.

I use a female USB-A to a male USB-C cabel as shown on the picture.

And yes, only MS-formating to 32 mb is supported, above Linux formatting must be used.
So when buying a new camera you must buy one with Linux formatting storage :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I am surprised that you mention the Xperia 10 III, because on the Sailfish site only the 10 II is mentioned. So basically Jolla is far behind on its official information? I can buy 10 III here still, but 10 II is unavailable. I am very confused.

There is no official support of the 10 III yet, only the 10 II. Jolla announced that support for the 10 III will come soon, possibly with version 4.5. It is already available for beta testers so there is some experience around.
You can probably buy the 10 III from vendors since it is the latest model of Sony’s mid-range series. Yet it is more than a year old and thus running out of stock in some countries. The 10 II as its predecessor is not produced anymore.

1 Like

No.

Support for X10III being in the works was announced some time ago, but it is not yet an officially supported device.

So the information is accurate, although the support for the III is slightly behind schedule.

2 Likes

So, if I want to have Sailfish now, I can buy an Experia 10 III and it will work?

No, sfos is not ready for xperia 10 iii. If you want it now you need 10ii.

I bought my Xperia 10 iii for a black friday 2021 offer i think it was 2990sek €289.99
I have had it on top of it’s box ever since.
My XA2 plus works fine until it’s officially supported, about warranty i think the last time i tried to used warranty for a phone was like 20years ago and it was denied.
The only problem would be if my current phone died, fingers crossed it won’t happen.

1 Like

Don’t worry, in the worse case you could fill the gap with some used XA2.
I bought 4 for me and my family for 70-90 € each.
Although used, they all run well (except known GPS issue, which is very device/moment variable)

What do you guys expect how much longer it will take until SFOS on 10 III is finally available?

Does it make sense to purchase a phone now, or better to wait a bit longer?

In any case, it will be available. If you wait longer, you can expect a lower price.

That’s not necessarily true. At least in Sweden the price will remain until they are gone. Instead they will be harder to find, the longer you wait. I’ve seen this happen on every Sailfish compatible phone so far.
I found mine on eastern sale, so I’m happy. :smiley:

1 Like

i dunno, price stabilised at ~£330 in Q2/Q3 last years, and then dipped briefly to ~£290 for black friday.

I wish i had bought one then, as the price ever since seems to hover at ~£350.

almost as if Sony have already stopped producing them to keep the ASP high, as they have given up on achieving market share in favour of a higher ASP.

But we are talking about incremental version numbers which is not the same as incremental changes in the software; they are full version bumps after all. Time between the Android 10 and 11 releases were 1½ years. And in the end we are not talking about time but amount of work, thus one can do the guess-work about the disparity of workforce between different parties.

1 Like