Xperia 10 III charging issue

Let’s keep this topic focused on the software issue please, so as to have the best chance of it getting picked up and fixed.

I think what would be useful is if we could get more people to confirm that:

• When the issue occurs, CSD shows the status as NotCharging, and
  • After rebooting without removing/reseating the charger cable, CSD shows the status Charging (and the phone’s charge actually increases)
2 Likes

Lately (SFOS v4.5.0.21), I’m having the same issue on Xperia 10 III and was wondering if it has something to do with the battery aging protection? If that’s the case, well I do like this feature and would be happy if we can figure out the cause and fix it.

1 Like

Please, this topic is not about disconnection issues with different chargers or docking stations, or how many amps you can charge with, it is about a software issue where the phone recognizes a charger is plugged in, but does not switch to charging mode until rebooted.

You are experiencing a different issue. Please search for a topic on your specific issue, or open a separate topic for it if none exists yet.

This keeps the discussion, investigation, and discovered evidence focused and ultimately helps to get issues resolved quicker. Afterall it is easier to solve one very specific issue rather 10 vaguely related ones.

1 Like

I have had the same issue for about a week now. Connected to the same chargers or PCs with the same cables as before, the phone recognizes the cable but no longer charges the battery unless booted while connected. CSD shows “NotCharging”.

MTP does not work either, when connected to PC.

Haveyou tried cleaning the charging port on the phone?

Guys, hardware and cables are deteriorating but software not. Belief that it is a software issue is ridiculous.

Same cables and chargers work just fine with my other xperia 10 III. Also the phone with the problem does recognize being connected, but does not charge, unless booted with the cable connected, just like @d.geelen described.

1 Like

@kan_ibal and @miau, please read this post and this post. This really is a software issue because:

a. The state that is reported by CSD when the issue occurs is not correct, it shows NotCharging when it should show Charging. When no cable is plugged in it will show Discharging instead, so the cable is detected.
b. The issue is resolved by rebooting without touching/removing/replacing the cable, so the physical connection does not matter.

@oh6na wrote:
I have had the same issue for about a week now. Connected to the same chargers or PCs with the same cables as before, the phone recognizes the cable but no longer charges the battery unless booted while connected. CSD shows “NotCharging”.

Thanks for the confirmation! From your writing it sounds like you are experiencing this issue more often now (daily?), is that a correct reading? For me it usually stays away for a while (weeks) after a reboot it seems. Is there anything that maybe changed in your routine? Different programs open? Software update or new software installed?

MTP does not work either, when connected to PC.

Very interesting, I will try to confirm this the next time I encounter the issue.

My answer was aimed towardd @oh6na issue.

I’ve had the issue for about a week now and during that time I have only been able to charge the phone by connecting it to a charger or PC and then turning it off. At least a few times I’ve seen that it continues to charge even if I restart the phone while still connected, but I’m not 100% sure if this is the case every time.

I have cleaned the socket with air and a toothpick so dirt should not be causing it.

I can’t think of anything special happening when it started. I wasn’t running the latest SFOS version at that point, and updated this week to 4.5.0.21, but that did not make a difference.

I don’t know it it’s related at all, but I’ve also seen issues with detecting the audio jack already before this charging thing. Every now and then the audio keeps coming out of the internal speaker even if I plug in headphones. Also this issue is always corrected with a reboot, so seems to be software-related.

there is indeed an issue with charging,i already threw away usb cables thinking it was it,and swapped chargers.
it’s not clear what the cause is,but i have to unplug and re-plug the charger to the wall for it to work,or reboot and so on.
sometimes it works fine.
XA2

1 Like

I also usually use one of my Lenovo chargers and have the same experience as you. I do have another 3A that also get’s me almost 3A (well, closer to 2.5) which is a motorola. Correction, it’s a Salom that came with my GS5 gigaset rated at 3A.

1 Like

I’m using the official Sony charger (UCH20) which has an DC output of 1.5 A at 5V. But randomly the Xperia 10 III is not charging even though SFOS says it’s connected and apparently changing, it’s not. As said earlier, after a reboot it charges but not anymore after a second reconnect to the charger. I tried other chargers and cables too but they seem to work also rather randomly. Charging from my laptop works also in a random manner. I do check in terminal with:

mcetool | grep -i charg
Display on at charging start 3000 ms
Charger cable: disconnected
Charger state: off
Battery state: discharging
Charging mode: apply-thresholds
Charging override: disabled
Charging enable limit: 77 (%)
Charging disable limit: 80 (%)
[defaultuser@Xperia10III ~]$

This bug is annoying since my other Xperia’s (10 and XA2 plus) work well.

I’m on the latest 4.5.0.21@xperia10ii and do confirm I’ve experienced many of the issues pointed out already by the others.
I’ve noticed that only by a quick charge 3 compatible charger I manage to get my battery full. Even after the new charger, still issues did came back and fort.
Now I’ve cleaned the usb c by a toothpick.
Seems to work for now…I’ll do a further report on that

Usage shows battery degradation around 14% and 539 charge cycles.

What do you use to show (or measure) battery capacity?

Have the same problems here. After rebooting the phone (doesn’t matter if a cable is plugged in or not) charging works well with all cables and chargers I’m using. Then, after some hours running, the situation gets worse. There is still a current coming from the charger, but only very little. When the consumption of the phone is higher than the charging current, the battery gets drained. I can see it with a charger that delivers a current around the actual consumption of the phone. Than I see sometimes a positive, sometimes a negative current in the battery app. But with my high power charger (the one for my laptop “dell xps 14”) loading always works.
Obviously there is a thing with limiting charging current, so I de-installed batterybuddy just now, and tata… charging current is > 1000 mA again without booting. It seems, that there is a bug with battery buddy. Did you all use battery buddy?

Hi @triessner. My experience with charging my Xperia 10 III has always been a little …adventurous. I have seen different cables giving different results, but I have also seen the same cable give different results!
I can tell you that I presently use two chargers mainly, each with its own cable. One (the original Sony one) works without any surprises, but the other one works properly only on one side! (Telling them apart is easy because on top of one side there is a logo). And I can tell you that this things happens to me also with a mini cable that I use with my battery pack…
As for BatteryBuddy, I can only say that sometimes I have wondered if it had something to do, too; but since I had so many other factors to consider I never went far into it. Nevertheless, I must admit that since battery management has been integrated into Sailfish, I use BatteryBuddy only to see if the battery is indeed charging or not (with the cable being plugged in but the charge going down)…
One last thing: if you happen to be in a situation where the phone keeps not charging no matter what (been there as well), a simple workaround is turning it off. When plugged while off, the phone charges normally (but without any battery management).

Bug confirmed by me as well, anyone having this issue still?

For me it happens quite rarely. Then i disable and enable Battery Buddy, and loading starts normally.

I still have the issue regularly.

Most of the time I can use the CSD tool as a workaround. If I choose “Individual tests” and “USB Charging” and plug in the USB cable after that, it works much more reliably than without CSD tool on.