Xperia 10 II + SFOS

Hmm, related? :wink:

1 Like

If Chrome gives you hard time, try Vivaldi. It’s based on the same engine, with more privacy and a few nice features, such as adblock. Version 4.0 was just released with a few bells and whistles more :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does it provide WebView engine so other apps could display their stuff?

I have various Parental, Sports etc apps just failing to display their content because I think WebView isn’t there.

Replying to myself to note that picotts and mimic have both been built for aarch64 (thanks, ringus), so PureMaps has his/her voice back from the 64-bit Sea Witch – assuming that one of the languages supported by these TTS packages is the one you use . . .

Firefox provides WebView, for the apps that use the modern embedding API. I think there’s still the old API that expects Chrome, but most things I use these days use the new one.

1 Like

Anyone got chrome installed in 4.1 sony 10II? And personal ringtones?

If you don’t specifically need Chrome but just a chrome-based browser, you can try installing Bromite which works quite fine.

Really need chrome, but perhaps I’ll try bromite…

Try https://vivaldi.com/android/ (based on Chromium)

But still the giraffe form factor.

:grin:

With regards to chrome, Brave is a chromium based browser that worked very well for me on the device.

I put logcat running on the Terminal and then tried using Chromium browser. Xperia 10 ii Dual Sim/Kvarken, with microG installed and running ok.

After a very short use (on a specific discussion forum, at hfboards.com) I get the Chromium browser stuck.

AlienEventHub fails to getVideoFrames is not supported

Then the Terminal starts flooding about ServiceManagement trying again for android.hardware.drm@1.0::DrmFactory/clearkey

This continues until I kill Android Support altogether.

Vivaldi browser seems to be doing the same thing.

Vivaldi freezes for me and lock the whole phone GUI. Tried with Opera instead and that performs way better so I recommend that instead.

2 Likes

It freezed for me, too. I’ll open a new ticket for it.

I’ve now been using Xperia 10 II + SFOS combo for about 2 months now as my daily driver and my overall view of the combination is OK but there was no WOW-effect. I had Nokia N9 years ago but been an android user after that so I really don’t have any history with sailfish previously nor have I been following the progress over the years. I was prepared to have some annoying issues and/or bugs but as a whole, I think this is quite mature product overall. After getting used to the swiping, I find myself trying it with other phones I get in my hands constantly. :slightly_smiling_face:

Things I find annoying are mostly connected to my personal use cases but some bugs/features as well.

For example I can’t have my phone with me at work but I can divert calls from it to another number during the days. With android phones I always had a quick shortcut widget on desktop to enable call diversion and another one for to disable it. Just two steps, fingerprint to unlock and one press to enable/disable it. Now with SFOS I have to first fiddle a few times with the fingerprint sensor to see if it is working this time or if I have to give the security code first. Next swipe up, select phone, select people, select starred quick contact for call divert, select phonenumber and call divert is in action. The amount of steps is ridiculous.

Another issue is the constant dropping of connectivity when stepping out of reach of wifi, getting in to a place where there is no cell reception (also somewhat related to my work), etc. With a mobile device having to restart the network subsystem couple times in a day in order to see if I have e-mails or other messages is kind of a show stopper for me.

Third annoyance is the lack of seeing android downloads in the gallery app. If I use a file manager, I can browse to android storage but the gallery app seems to be missing a feature to add a folder to “follow” for changes.

Also regarding the android part I don’t know whether this is a bug or a known feature/issue, but has anybody else had any issues regarding copy-pasting text from sailfish specific apps to android apps?
For example I have quickddit reddit-application installed and when I copy an URL from there, I can paste it just fine to preinstalled sailfish apps but when I try to paste it to android firefox the paste is not available.

Despite giving a little negative rant above, those were pretty much all issues I have encountered so in overall SFOS is not a bad product and I just might stick around with it for a while to see how things are progressing over time. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I’m a bit buffed by this since I live in a ‘low’ connectivity part of germany. I live about 37 km outside of Berlin and there are ‘gaps’ in 4g (cough) out here, but I never have to restart network. And I never lose connectivity in a way that interrupts work.

It would be really usefull to know:

1. What provider?
  2. Geographic location (proximity to populated center)?

Like I say, I live in a ‘notoriously underprovided’ region (well, for Germany!). I’m trying to grok what could lead to this lack of connectivity.

I live in one of the major cities in Finland and have a excellent 4G/5G-reception in my apartment as the nearest base station is across the street so the issue is not with the overall connection quality but rather than in the switching process from wifi to cell data. The provider is the finnish MOI which is using DNA’s network. I have a gut feeling (not 100% sure yet) that the problem has some connection to android applications in particular. I use protonmail android app and signal for messages so I do not recall the issue being in the SFOS native apps but rather with the android apps.

If I open a webpage in firefox in my home via wifi, then step outside the door and walk away from the wifi signal and try to refresh the loaded page I will almost always find myself without a connection. The mobile data connection sometimes seem to wake after a while and sometimes I just have to reset the network subsys to get the data flowing again.

The network issues are really a PITA. Even on XPeria x they are very much present.
Its the only big problem I (unfortunately) keep on experiencing on an otherwise very enjoyable OS!

I’m also experiencing the same connection issues. Mainly they indeed seem to relate to Android applications when switching between WLAN and mobile network, but I am also having some issues with the Sailfish browser not being able to load pages even though the UI shows the connection is in order – haven’t had the time yet to debug where it all goes wrong there.

3 Likes

Network issues with the AlienDalvik for sure in 4.1 release. Not yet present in 4.2 though. I only use the Sailfish Mail client because it just works. Signal should also constantly keep checking for messages in the background. If you want things to go similarly with ProtonMail check this out. For some rebooting the network stack in Asetukset was enough to get back internet for Android apps.

I had to always do the complete restart. 4.2 seems to work a lot better, even though it has not fixed everything that is broken.

1 Like

I’m also having connectivity issues with the 10ii so I’m happy to hear it’s not just me. It just drops connection on mobile constantly. I’ll check in with it and realize it’s been offline for who knows how long, even though I’m somewhere with decent signal. So I miss messages and calls. This is hard because I don’t have the luxury of good signal like @kulta, prior owners put aluminum siding on my house so I basically live in a faraday cage, and there are a few spots in the house where I should get connection, but even there the phone will just randomly drop. As it does when I’m out and about too.
I’ve shelved it and gone back to my XA for now until I can figure this out. I haven’t checked to see if it’s a wifi/mobile switching issue but if others are having connection problems of that sort I will check that out.

1 Like