Xperia 10 II + SFOS

Multiple (2+) cameras support

3 Likes

Could a similar fix work for xperia too?

1 Like

What about getting Google Camera Ports to work on Sailfish? That would solve most of my issues with the camera on Sailfish (well except for it not being a native app).

It could be a good temporary solution. The camera is important to me and is what’s keeping me from using Sailfish as a daily driver.

( https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/ )

edit: so I never got Gcam working in the past but apparently it is possible: https://together.jolla.com/question/229455/best-camera-app/?answer=229531#post-id-229531 )

I got the camera app from the XDA Developers forum post (originally linked on the TJC page) to work on the Xperia 10 Plus running Sailfish X. I do have microG installed, so it’s possible that is a requirement. You do have to make sure to disable the image stabilization as mentioned in the XDA forum post.

I haven’t done enough testing to say if it’s better than using the built-in Sailfish camera or Advanced Camera, but it does definitely work and shoots at 12 megapixels (4000px by 3000px). Just make sure you don’t try to do something like play music and then try to capture video, seeing as it will say it cannot connect to the camera instead of muting app playing music. I think that is a fair expectation to have though.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll go whip out my Xperia 10 Plus then and see how it works out for me.

I guess SFOS for Xperia 10 II is a dead end then, huh? (Due to Android 10 HADK it seems)

Don’t get me wrong; I waited and waited and waited, but now Pixel 5 and Android 11 seem to come along faster than SFOS, so I guess that answers the question of “what will my next phone be?” for many users it seems

If you’re ok with android, why you’re here?

PS On Sep.17 there will be a new presentation of Xperia 5ii and compact Xperia 3(or 7) [140*65mm]. Hopefully, that compact Xperia is gonna be the new SFOSX phone.

7 Likes

Well, no offence, but as you obviously can’t see, the choices in this sector are quite slim.

How do you mean? You can buy 300 different phones with Android.

I meant SFOS, hence the “choices in ‘this’ sector”.

I would rather see a 5G device supported by SfOS once released to the open device program.

1 Like

Yes, that’d be a good start as well. Any potential models?
EDIT : hmmm https://www.mobileworldlive.com/devices/news-devices/sony-launches-compact-5g-xperia

ORLY?

I do not see/feel the need for a new ‘phone’ model whose native phoning capability is not supported by the OS itself.

Furthermore we all know about the HW adaptation bugs / missing features of the X models. Which I would like to be fixed / implemented instead of new HW.

1 Like

865 soc is total overkill. I’d rather prefer a midrange device.

1 Like

I prefer better devices that keep me going with them for a long while… :wink:

1 Like

hmm, user experience on a 20 years old PocketPC with 266mhz was not worse than today. It could even run PS1 emulation with filters. User experience on a Snapdragon S2 with Windows Phone was far superior to any 865 device with android 11 now. It is mainly PR that makes people want this new devices. Actually they are overpowered since many, many years. Just my 2 cents.

7 Likes

Sailfish OS needs a better camera - on both hardware and software side. For me camera is essential and the main reason why I use my Sailfish XA2 just as secondary phone. Examples: XA2 running Android was capable of recording 4K video. Same phone with Sailfish OS can’t. Time from pressing the button ist too long until the photo is really taken. Pictures get to dark even in preview when the light doesn’t comes right from behind the camera.
And there are situations where my XA2 seems a bit slow. And XA2 was never a midrange device to my mind or perhaps at the bottom line of midrange device.

6 Likes

camera is 90% software nowerdays. a change on android from stock lineageos cam app to anxcam (miui cam port) improves quality to 1000% plus, it’s incredible.
I stopped using smartphones for photos, I have my APSC Ricoh always in my pocket, it’s smaller than many smartphones and delivers dslr quality you can print without getting eye cancer, too.

4 Likes

theres not many alternstives really;
xa2? sold out. xperia x? no upgrades.
xperia 10? sold out.
if i need a nrw phone; which i will soon; id prefer it to be high end, for once :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You are right. It is a fact: SFOS needs new hardware.

4 Likes