Xperia 10 II + SFOS

Hahaha mine is the same. It’s feeling very impatient!! :joy:

2 Likes

and will it come today?

Most of the time the updates appeared on a Thursday if I recall…
Coderus has a list with dates of update releases.

2 Likes

You know the saying: When it is done™

2 Likes

Well, who would be so crazy to release/deploy something on a Friday :wink:

But I think gey actually did once exactly that.

2 Likes

safe to buy a phone now? i really need an upgrade over my xperia x

I think you are safe. They’ve officially announced support is forthcoming. As others pointed out, 64-bit apps have to be released, so possible that apps you’re used to today may not be initially available. It can also be read from Jolla’s news that probably Exchange/Predictive text may not be available at release, but soon thereafter.

So if you can get the phone and live on Xperia X for a while longer, you’ll be fine. I feel absolutely dirty using the Android. I can only imagine the wealth of data they’re getting from me over these days. I am unnerved by Android reading my text messages and proposing replies based upon the content of the text I just received. I’m sure that data doesn’t stay just on my phone.

1 Like

Hm, not quite true. Apple decided to produce them again.

Yes, it’s a nice device. I like the XA2 too. Yet I cannot keep it since the card slot for SD carts is broken. Storage is only 32 GB, so the next update it will be problematic.
Every two years a new device is a nuisance. I wished we could get a device with changeable parts.

The iPhone 12 mini is the approximately size of the Xperia X compact. Cool devices.

But it is irrelevant, as it is not a candidate for SFOS.
There are also at least a dozen no-name and/or badge engineered low-bugdet Android devices, but which are also irrelevant.
So while they technically exist, it effectively doesn’t matter.

However, my point was not to split hairs with that - it was simply to say that Jolla can’t (and shouldn’t!) be blamed for the hardware market situation.

3 Likes

The Pinephone is pretty repairable with replacement parts available, but SFOS isn’t quite ready to be a daily driver on it, or really any OS that I like to use, TBO – YMMV. But there’s at least 17 partially (some close to fully) functional OSs to try – and you can try them all fairly easily.

Would love to see that device get a nice (or even official) SFOS port working. It’s inexpensive and repairable, to me especially good phone to give to a kid that just got old enough for one.

edited because typed too fast.

edit 2: I should add the pinephone sizewise is comparable to the Xperia 10 II, a little wider, but almost exactly the same height

1 Like

I also find Pinephone interesting, unfortunately the battery life scares me off.
Ich finde Pinephone auch interessant, leider schreckt mich die Akkulaufzeit ab.

I hope the SFOS for the Xperia is coming soon. Am very excited.

1 Like

There are more possibilities: Gigaset is willing to customize devices. They show a sense of awareness concerning the environment too. They replace a battery for you. The GS290 is unlockable. Volla used it for the Vollaphone. Because production is in Germany, coöperation could be easier?
Then there is Fairphone, but Jolla doesn’t work with them.

4 Likes

The battery of the Gigaset GS290 is exceptional: it lasts three days.

2 Likes

Hello, I have an Xperia 10 II. I had problems with android 11, I downgraded to Android 10. My bootloader is open. I am not getting an update to Android 11 now. Do I have to close the bootloader again, if so how do I do it? Do I have to be on Android 11 if I flash the upcoming SFOS? Is there a way to get to Android 11 with a saved bootloader? Sorry for my bad English

Should be no issue using Xperifirm and Newflasher: https://github.com/newflasher/newflasher

Just to add that since March 2021 need to update to Xperifirm v5.6.1 and that to date Androxyde Flashtool no longer opens Xperifirm.

3 Likes

Is there no way to download official android images directly from Sony’s site?

Just to add a little extra info . .

I had issues with my XA2 ultra using the Emma tool after unlocking that sound similar to Rene. It wouldn’t find any firmware at all for it. Whatever weird term Sony calls its firmware. So xperifirm and newflasher to the rescue.

There’s some helpful discussions regarding using these tools over on the xda developers website for new users.

2 Likes