Xperia 10 II + SFOS

Ups, https://www.coe.int/en/web/portal/47-members-states
Spoke too soon

OK, this is a bit off topic, but there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the UK in Europe. As someone from the UK, and a lawyer who understands the constitutional implications, maybe I can help.

The UK has left the political organisation known as the European Union, so it is no longer a part of the EU common trading area, no longer subject (in most circumstances) to EU laws, and no longer subject to the EU political or administrative systems. Most people who were in favour of this decision will tell you that it was about the UK taking back control of its own destiny rather than being forced down a route that the majority in the UK didn’t want to go by a (mostly) unelected bureaucracy. Those who were against the decision will tell you that the UK would have been much better off staying in the EU (although with the way they’ve handled their vaccine programme compared to ours I’m now not so sure …). So, the UK left a European administrative and political organisation, it did not ‘leave Europe’. Parts of Europe are closer to the UK in distance that other parts of the UK are. There are also huge economic and cultural ties between the countries which transcend politics and administration. The EU and UK are currently working on a new international agreement which will define how the two bodies will work together in the future in terms of trade, intelligence sharing, defence, ec. I’m sure it will be bumpy along the way, but we’ll all get there in the end.

6 Likes

I did not mean that you would be aligned with Russia, but that you fall into the same category as Russia in the diagram by financial times linked above, which shows the membership to several treaties in europe.
The idea of UK aligning with Russia would be quiet ridiculous in my understanding :laughing:

Finally, I’m not sure I quite understand why UK based users can no longer purchase Sailfish X just because we have left the EU. I can still easily (and do) buy software, hardware and other products from within the EU, from other countries outside the EU, etc. The only change I have noticed frollowing the UK’s departure from the EU is sometimes I now have to pay a customs fee on goods supplied from within the EU whereas I didn’t have to whilst we were still a member. The only thing I can think of is that Jolla must have some proprietary software that they include as part of Sailfish that they have only purchased an EU wide license for (which may explain why you can’t buy Sailfish in the US either). If so, this seems a little shortsighted as it significantly affects their possible market share.

4 Likes

Well, apart from the fact that the diagram was wrong, even in 2016. It looks like they have copied the one from Wikipedia (which was right) and then added new bits which are incorrect (specifically The Council of Europe bit). In reality we would not be in the same category as Russia (with which we have no free trade agreement, but we have lots of sanctions on) now we have left, but more in the same category as Canada or Australia. This is the other loop missing from the diagram, which is all the countries the EU has trading agreements with outside the Schengen Area.

AFAIK the problem with US is software patents. And I have no clue if this is a problem in the UK as well or if it could be in the foreseeable future. I think (and don’t know) this could be the doubts, why it is sold only in EEA, where Jolla is sure that this stuff is not a problem.

I suggest that the discussion regarding geographical sales restrictions is forked into a separate thread.

11 Likes

yes, please back to topic

6 Likes

Anyhow, for people already wanting to get a feel for their OLED-screen with black, for whom the Carbon Fibre Ambience is not fitting enough, there is now a White on Black Ambience in the spirit of the old All Black Ambience.
https://openrepos.net/content/polleke/ambience-white-black

5 Likes

Device is still sitting in the drawer, waiting for
4.1.0.23 - Kvarken
to be officially released.

4 Likes

Is that a reference to some sort of quantum uncertainty? :slight_smile:

Also; release the Kvarken!

8 Likes

Sailfish_OS-Jolla-4.1.0.23-xqau52-0.0.1.42.zip Downloading…

4 Likes

I have just installed it on my phone and can’t install rpm package (from the jola store and the web)
I am the only one with this issue ?

If you’re in a position to install from the command line using pkcon or zypper, could you provide the output please?

1 Like

i have this error in the terminal with a pkcon install-local harbour-storeman.aarch64

nothing can find libsailfishsecrets.so.0()(64bits)

Thanks. Are you able to install libsailfishsecrets manually?

pkcon refresh
pkcon install libsailfishsecrets

i don’t have the right to refresh the repo adapation

Sorry, this is my mistake. You’ll need to elevate to root first using devel-su (either entered on its own line before you run the other commands, or prefixing each command with it).

devel-su
pkcon refresh
pkcon install libsailfishsecrets

Although, having said that, your output does suggest something else. You should at least try this first, but it may not help.

same issue, it look like it’s a issue to access the repo

in english: