Xperia 10 II + SFOS

Well, no offence, but as you obviously can’t see, the choices in this sector are quite slim.

How do you mean? You can buy 300 different phones with Android.

I meant SFOS, hence the “choices in ‘this’ sector”.

I would rather see a 5G device supported by SfOS once released to the open device program.

1 Like

Yes, that’d be a good start as well. Any potential models?
EDIT : hmmm https://www.mobileworldlive.com/devices/news-devices/sony-launches-compact-5g-xperia

ORLY?

I do not see/feel the need for a new ‘phone’ model whose native phoning capability is not supported by the OS itself.

Furthermore we all know about the HW adaptation bugs / missing features of the X models. Which I would like to be fixed / implemented instead of new HW.

1 Like

865 soc is total overkill. I’d rather prefer a midrange device.

1 Like

I prefer better devices that keep me going with them for a long while… :wink:

1 Like

hmm, user experience on a 20 years old PocketPC with 266mhz was not worse than today. It could even run PS1 emulation with filters. User experience on a Snapdragon S2 with Windows Phone was far superior to any 865 device with android 11 now. It is mainly PR that makes people want this new devices. Actually they are overpowered since many, many years. Just my 2 cents.

7 Likes

Sailfish OS needs a better camera - on both hardware and software side. For me camera is essential and the main reason why I use my Sailfish XA2 just as secondary phone. Examples: XA2 running Android was capable of recording 4K video. Same phone with Sailfish OS can’t. Time from pressing the button ist too long until the photo is really taken. Pictures get to dark even in preview when the light doesn’t comes right from behind the camera.
And there are situations where my XA2 seems a bit slow. And XA2 was never a midrange device to my mind or perhaps at the bottom line of midrange device.

6 Likes

camera is 90% software nowerdays. a change on android from stock lineageos cam app to anxcam (miui cam port) improves quality to 1000% plus, it’s incredible.
I stopped using smartphones for photos, I have my APSC Ricoh always in my pocket, it’s smaller than many smartphones and delivers dslr quality you can print without getting eye cancer, too.

4 Likes

theres not many alternstives really;
xa2? sold out. xperia x? no upgrades.
xperia 10? sold out.
if i need a nrw phone; which i will soon; id prefer it to be high end, for once :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You are right. It is a fact: SFOS needs new hardware.

4 Likes

Like every year …

Please correct me, but I beleive that new hardware support would require Android 10/Kernel 4.14 support - at least that is what I understand from Rinigus’ post. This might require some effort

3 Likes

Soon Android 11. Or an open SOC / Qualcom or MTK offering linux drivers instead of hybris. I hope we do not reach a dead end.

Seems like X 10 ii is near

Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-11-27 22-50-04

10 Likes

…deviceS.
plural. /me likes that :wink:

1 Like

I think that means that it is now possible to bring SFOS to 64-bit and Android 10 devices. I would not expect more than the X 10 ii port from Jolla. If I am wrong that would be fine for me.

6 Likes

I would be happy with - no, overjoyed even - with Xperia 10 II, but it would be cool to have Xperia 5 II supported (for the PR value, too) but also Xperia L4 for the small budget users, too!

4 Likes

I agree on the Xperia 5 ii - however, it is not yet in the open device program

2 Likes