Xperia 10 ii and Android 12

I’m running into the same issue. I got a second-hand 10 II device, which was updated to Android 12. If I use XperiFirm the only older version I can find for this device is ones where the “market” is set to “internal”. If I search around I can only find versions as a file with a .ftf extension, which newflasher doesn’t accept.

This means it’s very hard to install Sailfish on this officially supported device. I think that if Jolla depends on a specific version, they should provide instructions on where to get the required firmware files and how to flash them.

1 Like

I updated my X10III from Android 12 to Sailfish without issues. As flashing Sailfish installs the correct AOSP firmware anyway, I don’t really see a downside doing that. Someone at Jolla also said that “it seems to work fine, but the official method remains to be via Android 11” or something along those lines.

…unless newer Android updates make some permanent changes to the devices using EEPROM or some other hidden obscure way, but I really really hope this is never the case.

but are they talking about doing so on a 10iii, where the question here is about the 10ii?

the install process has changed significantly between different hardware releases, so not sure it is safe to infer outcomes between the 10iii and 10ii.

don’t get me wrong, i’d be delighted if the 10ii can safely be SFOS’ed from Android 12, i have one sat right next me.

1 Like

How about using Androxyde/Flashtool instead?

Flashtool didn’t work for me. That just gave me some java stacktrace. I managed in the end by unzipping the ftf file and then running newflasher.

1 Like

I would like to try SailfishOS free version on my Xperia 10 II, as nobody tried installing Sailfish from Android 12, I’ll try and let you know if works ok

1 Like

New link to the supported devices page is Supported Devices | Sailfish OS Documentation

One has to note that the 10 III is listed as being ok with Android 12. My guess is that the 10 II could also be OK with Android 12.

1 Like

Read the link you provided :slight_smile:

Or @carmeloferso can update us if flashed his 10 II successfully from Android 12.

Device Model Required Android First release Note
Xperia 10 II Single XQ-AU51 Android 11 4.1.0 Kvarken Android 10 is ok, too
Xperia 10 II Dual XQ-AU52 Android 11 4.1.0 Kvarken Android 10 is ok, too
1 Like

I meant and wrote that the 10 III has a note where it says Android 12 is OK and the 10 II has not. Instead the 10 II has a note where it says Android 10 is ok. And one of the questions above was if the 10 II could be updated to 12 and then be flashed to SFOS.

I am late. I installed SFOS on Xperia 10 II Android12 firmware. Everything is working and stable. Battery life is very good.

Only bug i found is location never works. GPS is working in the test tool and showing satellites, but it never get a pinpoint lock on the location.

3 Likes

Just wanted to add my experience to this.

I took the plunge today and did a clean flash of v4.5.0.18 on Xperia 10 ii running Android 12 and I can confirm that everything is working as expected including GPS.

One question I do have is regarding performance. I’ve not installed Android app support so I’m running pure Sailfish OS but compared to the XA2 it doesn’t feel any snappier. Is this to be expected or is it that because I’m running on top of Android 12, the performance is being hindered somehow?

2 Likes

In order to flash my X10ii running Android 12, I am using an USB hub because the procedure fails with USB3. The instructions are about using ASOP Android 10 but I have also downloaded the ASOP Android 12 and tried to use it but it fails

https://developer.sony.com/file/download/software-binaries-for-aosp-android-12-0-kernel-4-19-seine/

I can edit the flash.sh script in such a way, it will take this image instead. Does this make sense for you or ASOP Android 10 is the unique option available? Thanks.

I have found this thread about using ASOP Android 11 and the test failed but no harm have been done. The test was done on March 22th, possibly something might be changed in two months or not.

FLASHING LOG:

roberto@laptop: ~/Sailfish_OS-Jolla-4.5.0.19-xqau52-1.0.0.19$ sudo bash ./flash.sh --dry-run

Flash utility v1.2
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash..
Found XQ-AU52, serial:QxxxxxA, baseband:1xxxxx3, bootloader:1xxxxx5
Found matching device with serial QxxxxxA
Fastboot command: fastboot -s QxxxxxA
>> fastboot -s QxxxxxA getvar secure
<< secure: no

The supported Sony Vendor partition image wasn't found in the current directory.
Please download it from
https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/downloads/software-binaries/
Ensure you download the supported version of the image found under:
"Software binaries for AOSP Android 10.0 - Kernel 4.14 - Seine"
and unzip it into this directory.
Note: information on which versions are supported is written in our Sailfish X
installation instructions online https://jolla.com/sailfishxinstall

That does not make sense. Why not just follow the instructions?

1 Like

Just curious about Android 12 because the phone arrived with such version.

$ sudo bash ./flash.sh 
Flash utility v1.2
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash..
Found XQ-AU52, serial:QxxxxA, baseband:1xxxx3, bootloader:1xxxx5
Found matching device with serial QxxxxA
Fastboot command: fastboot -s QxxxxA
>> fastboot -s QxxxxA getvar secure
<< secure: no
>> fastboot -s QxxxxA flash:raw boot_a hybris-boot.img
Sending 'boot_a' (18404 KB)                        OKAY [  0.588s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   OKAY [  0.107s]
Finished. Total time: 0.714s
>> fastboot -s QxxxxA flash:raw boot_b hybris-boot.img
Sending 'boot_b' (18404 KB)                        OKAY [  0.592s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  0.106s]
Finished. Total time: 0.719s
>> fastboot -s QxxxxA flash dtbo_a dtbo.img
Sending 'dtbo_a' (272 KB)                          OKAY [  0.019s]
Writing 'dtbo_a'                                   OKAY [  0.007s]
Finished. Total time: 0.033s
>> fastboot -s QxxxxA flash dtbo_b dtbo.img
Sending 'dtbo_b' (272 KB)                          OKAY [  0.009s]
Writing 'dtbo_b'                                   OKAY [  0.008s]
Finished. Total time: 0.023s
>> fastboot -s QxxxxA flash userdata sailfish.img001
Sending sparse 'userdata' 1/3 (778236 KB)          OKAY [ 24.748s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.003s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 2/3 (751411 KB)          OKAY [ 24.193s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.001s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 3/3 (109100 KB)          OKAY [  7.250s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 56.230s
>> fastboot -s QxxxxA flash oem_a ./SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_10.0.7.1_r1_v12b_seine.img
Sending 'oem_a' (265376 KB)                        OKAY [  8.252s]
Writing 'oem_a'                                    OKAY [ 37.886s]
Finished. Total time: 54.733s

Flashing completed.

Remove the USB cable and bootup the device by pressing powerkey.

@espen reported an issue with Bluetooth after flashing SailfishOS over an Android 12 base on an Xperia 10 II (but everything else seemed to work fine, as reported by @farz2farz and @MDJ, too), and stated that his original Xperia 10 II on which he flashed SailfishOS over an Android 11 base did not show this issue.
Reference:

Can someone who flashed SailfishOS over an Android 12 base on an Xperia 10 II confirm or deny this observation (e.g. @farz2farz or @MDJ)?

1 Like

For my own part I can just confirm that the problem persist after now upgrading to 4.5.0.24/25.

@espen, thank you for your reply.

The common theory about the Android base one uses for flashing SailfishOS making a difference is, that firmware components residing on some of the many partitions on internal FLASH memory become updated. This could be some DSP firmware (so calls or any other audio might be affected: echo, distortion, loudness etc.) or firmwares for Bluetooth, WLAN, GPS etc. Some of these firmwares are in the “Sony software binaries” one uses for flashing, but I have never seen an analysis which, and this could change from model to model. Also Jolla only utilises a single, old version of “Sony software binaries” for each Xperia model (and tests have shown that other versions do not work well), so this is a constant factor.

Long story short: If the Android base which was installed before flashing SailfishOS makes a difference, no SailfishOS update is going to change that; only reflashing to a different Android release and then flashing SailfishOS again is going to alleviate such an issue.

Are you still absolutely sure that the first Xperia 10 II you owned did not show this Bluetooth issue in exactly the same scenario (i.e. really nothing else changed, but the Xperia 10 II device)?

P.S.: If you want to know for sure, you can backup your SailfishOS partition by dd onto SD-card via recovery (for Xperia 10 II and III this requires flashing the SailfishOS recovery onto the boot_a partition), then flash an older Android version via Emma (a free trial install of Windows in a VM seems to be sufficient), boot Android once for a few minutes (or longer, if you like to play with it), flash the boot_a partition with the SailfishOS recovery again, restore the SailfishOS partition with dd from the backup on SD-card and finally flash the regular SailfishOS boot code onto the boot_a partition again.

Thanks for your description of the underlying factors!

What I know is that I had a X 10 II based on A11. It worked fine with BT in my VW car. (I’ve previously had BT problems with other SFOS phones, but I have had a series of phones (and VW cars) and don’t remember which worked and which didn’t. At least on one occasion BT started to work after an OS upgrade.) The X 10 II broke and I bought a new X 10 II that was updated to 12 and installed SFOS on it. I’m now not able to to hear the other part when operating the phone on BT in my car, (but they can hear me). I’m not aware of any particular differences between the two X 10 phones or the BT set-up, but I haven’t run a stringent protocol on this, so regrettably I can’t completely rule out any differences.

And no, I’m not going to go through all the hassle of downgrading Android. I’ve rather just bought a X 10 V, in the hope that 4.6.0 will run on it.

1 Like

It is always possible to flash other aosp software binaries than the suggested. Some things might not work as expected though. I think you should go with a specific android version, that you can gather all the carrier blobs of your mobile operator for mms, volte and proprietary sim-addons, before partition/fs-system changes layout…

Yes, but this thread is basically not about the Sony Software Binaries (note that there is no such thing as “aosp software binaries”), even though some people regularly deviated into this topic, apparently because they do not comprehend the difference to …

It is about the Android base over which SailfishOS is flashed. This can make a significant difference, because along with the Android updates Sony deploys various firmware updates, which are stored on separate partitions on internal mass storage (“eMMC”) and thus are unaffected by flashing SailfishOS.

For reflashing the Android base, one must use Emma and start right from the beginning with updating Android to an appropriate release, flashing SailfishOS etc.

2 Likes