Anyone flashed Software binaries for AOSP Android 12.0 – Kernel 4.19 – Seine on Xperia 10 ii?

As per topic title, anyone flashed Software binaries for AOSP Android 12.0 – Kernel 4.19 – Seine (latest) from Sony development site?
What are the risk of doing this?
Shall we always stay with same vendor release or can we choose another img as far as the Android version is the same?

Thanks,

2 Likes

It has not been tested by Jolla, so things may or may not work. It will not destroy your phone (you can flash the recommended firmware later)

The worst thing it will do is your phone may not boot.
Things like sensors / GPS, the screen, calling someone may not work, have errors, behave weird, do unexpected things.

Jolla has a Updating the Vendor Image | Sailfish OS Documentation so you can do it.

2 Likes

Thank you Emva,
that wiki from @jovirkku I found in the release notes was the trigger for this question.
I will give it some tries,
thanks

1 Like

Please do report how it went and if something broke.

Done flash of “Software binaries for AOSP Android 11.0 – Kernel 4.14 – Seine (latest)”: I choose this release because the kernel is the same, as first try. My device is Xperia 10 ii dual sim.

The flash by fastboot took 48 seconds.
Phone restart took 3 minutes but went without issues and prompted with security code request.
First issue: the homescreen start took three additional minutes
Second issue: bluetooth was not recognized (no button in shortcut menu, no HCI0 item in RFKILL)
Third issue: no SIM recognized.

Wifi worked fine, also browser and camera were working fine as with “originary” SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_10.0.7.1_r1_v12b_seine

I shut off the phone, restarted in fastboot mode and flashed back the originary binaries.

The phone booted quicker as usual, and everything works fine.
One note: Bluetooth was not starting, I needed to send systemctl restart bluetooth.service

Thanks,

4 Likes

So flashing binaries is possible without a reinstall?

2 Likes

Yes. The worst you can get is that the phone won’t boot, which can be fixed by reflashing the correct binaries again. On my XA2 Ultra I tested this way the two available binaries versions, and I even tried the ones based on higher Android version, which actually booted but froze at the security code screen.

Just use the command to reflash binaries from the flashing script, that’s all it takes.

2 Likes

I did the same test with a Xperia X10ii but also WiFi does not work

https://developer.sony.com/file/download/software-binaries-for-aosp-android-11-0-kernel-4-14-seine/

Moreover, with this it does not boot at all

https://developer.sony.com/file/download/software-binaries-for-aosp-android-12-0-kernel-4-19-seine/

Reverted back to the default version.

1 Like

Just a guess: flashing firmwares based on a higher Android version might also need that first the phone is flashed with that version of Android (before flashing SFOS). This might create correct partition layout for that Android version.

2 Likes

This :point_up:

As I just flashed a fresh X10III and noticed multiple AOSP binary versions available, one with (latest) tag, I’m now thinking whether it might make sense to flash updated AOSP minor versions as they become available?

Maybe bugfixes at AOSP level can also explain some differences in people’s experiences with the same device… :thinking:

I’m mostly curious if the sound disappearing problem goes away that way

X10III: thus far, I’ve experienced video starting to lag everywhere, which is a signal to restart Pulseaudio.

But phone has yet to go completely quiet on me over these first couple weeks, keeping a sharp eye out!

Official docs here Updating the Vendor Image | Sailfish OS Documentation

So, which version exactly of the Sony binaries are you using?

SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.19_v9a_lena.img