Xperia 10 battery life

That does kind of confirm that it mostly has to do with wifi.
Is it possible that there is no power management for the wifi chip, or there is a bug that drains the battery when on wifi?

Can we open a bug report somewhere about that, or is it too vague?

1 Like

I think it is too vague. As I stated: the plus version is far worse with same settings. Has anyone tried newer android or iphones? They definately do not last any longer than SFOS devices. By constantly sending tracking data they are actually worse.
I really do not think there is anything to comlain, espessially if we compare to other linux phones (Librem 2 hours max, lol)

Hi all,

Another new Xperia 10 plus owner here, also jumping from an Xperia X… I was happy with the X as a phone but being stuck on Android 4 meant no new versions of Firefox, which is the main application I use. It was bought second hand of apparent light use for about 150 quid and unfortunately came with Android 10 but was able to put it back to 9 using Emma before installing SFOS.

Two complaints nothing to do with SFOS… I agree the screen is not good, everything looks blue compared to the X, cold LED backlight likely to blame. As the screen is so long it is difficult to keep it balanced and text on, accuracy is currently much worse than the X.

Vibration does not work well at all… the motor does work in VibrationTest, but haptic feedback is mostly noise rather than vibration and if typing rapidly it seems to just give up totally and go silent. The alarm vibration is horrible and makes a sort of “eeeeee-eeeewww” noise very different to the X.

The only visible hardware improvements over the X are CPU speed, camera performance, and having slightly more screen estate… everything else seems like a downgrade.

Firefox 82.1.3 from the Android Store works but no luck using the APK directly from Mozilla. XPIs wouldn’t open (have to install from Addons) and neither will PDFs open from the Downloads page which is a regular use case for me. Downloads themselves from Firefox don’t work properly… repeated notifications saying

“Downloads
null”

every second or so. The only way to stop it is to close Firefox. When it is reopened, the file will successfully download, until the next attempted download where you need to repeat closing the app and reopening it.

Back to the topic of battery life… my experience is very poor here. I am barely using the phone at all with WiFi and 4G enabled, decent strength signals - maybe 10 mins of browsing, no calls, just a few texts, and it will barely last a day, which as a vague guess is about half the battery life of the X. Adaptive brightness is turned a fair way down, screen is no brighter than what the X was.

There is a fast microSD card installed formatted to ext4 with lots of music on. I know the X had an apparent problem with searching the card which was particularly noticeable in some Android apps, where everything would slow right down… hard to say if the 10+ is doing the same… it is certainly not as bad, but turning off scanning might be beneficial?

I’d like to assist in gathering some data on the problem… unfortunately Battery Log doesn’t appear to work properly on the 10+… it can gather Current and Voltage but Energy sits at 0 mWh and seems to be missing data from the API calls.

With all Android and all other apps stopped and 4G+WiFi on with the screen at a moderate level, Battery log is showing it pulling around 364-460mA with tapping the screen every second or so… this seems like a huge amount of current to be doing nothing. Putting the unit into Flight mode dropped this to 338-442mA.

The X in comparison shows around 124-155mA with WiFi enabled, also tapping to keep the screen awake. It’s no wonder the 10+ battery dies so quickly in comparison!

Anyone else got figures to share? I’d like to understand if this is typical for the 10+ or not, and how much difference some of the suggestions made here will help to dramatically lower power consumption. If it cannot be addressed, I guess I’ll have no choice but to give up and move the phone to LineageOS, which would be a shame. Thanks!

LineageOS does not last any longer, I tried. It is the big screen mostly and maybe the SoC.

When the device is idle the SoC should be drawing close to nothing, but the large screen is definitely not going to help when in active use - the biggest battery problem I’ve noticed is when the device is not in use, though which suggests the SoC isn’t power saving effectively.

In terms of display, turning the dynamic brightness off and turning it down to the bottom brightness setting with 4G+LAN turned on, power consumption drops to 202-288mA.

Maximum brightness is showing 488-504mA.

Hello - I have also post some infos in this chat with the same theme:https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/power-consumption-after-upgrade-to-3-4/2456/11
Maybe it helps ton use my mcetool settings command mcetool -sdisabled to spent energy…
You can see in this post my cpu using rate. Before it was very higher.

Have a brand new xperia 10, using it for a few days now, and I don’t really like the form factor,
i think it’s a mayor upgrade compared to my old X. Battery life is great too.

Thanks for the suggestions - I’ve run all the suggested commands. CPU is sitting at 0% in Lighthouse, haven’t done a collectd yet. Took out the microSD card too. On minimum brightness, display-on current is not significantly down after reset and mcetool, unfortunately, but will have to see if the sleep power is any better.

I tried a few more of the mcetool options like forcing power saving and enabling low power mode, and it’s made no apparent difference… still can’t get below 200mA in Battery Log just sitting there with the screen barely legible on brightness… as a comparison point the X is around 110mA, and my other halfs’ Poco F1 is about the same around 110mA on low brightness, which is not exactly a slow phone with a small screen.

1 Like

Dear Sailors,

half a year has passed since the last post in this thread.

Has the battery life improved? My Xp10 lays around as a “replacement phone”, because I went berserk on the battery life and bought a used XA2. Since the fingerprint reader is defect now, the Xp10 comes to mind again. So: Has the battery life improved with SFOS V.4.x?

Cheers
dexic

Hey Dexic

A bit late in replying, but I tried various things and I see no improvement.
Sometimes it’s better, sometimes it’s worse. I’m unble to find the culprit yet. I usually try to have the cellular at 2G instead of 4G and keep wifi off. But that is not handy when you need data!

I didn’t manage to update to 4.2.0 yet, but the update logs don’t mention anything related to power management, so I suspect no changes.

1 Like

With 4.3 installed, I have a new update on this matter (for me at least):

Battery life seems much improved!

• I don’t use data much, so most of the time the xperia 10 is in 2G mode
  • I turn wifi off when I don’t need it (would be nice if that could be automatic)
  • android support is mostly off, since I try to move away from android emulation as much as possible (only banking, deezer, and nextcloud sync mostly)

A full charge lasts almost two days with light usage since I updated to 4.3.0.12.
It feels like a huge improvement, so I can say I am quite pleased with it!

I can safely have my phone at 25% when I go to sleep, put it in flight mode and lose about 5% only during the night. Before, I would usually wake up with an empty battery, so that was a no go.

My device is a little over 2 years old and I keep my battery usually between 25% and 70%, which means I charge it once every day.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

1 Like

If Nextcloud is one of the few Android apps you rely on, try SailSync ownCloud from openrepos to keep folders in sync between Nextcloud and your device. Works very well, even for folders with lots of files.
BTW, I am also very satisfied with the battery life of my Xperia 10ii running SFOS 4.3.

My battery life is just awful. I am prob going to get rid of the phone as a result of it, I get 3/4 of a day out of it. I could downgrade all the functions and turn off data while at work but thats really not the point.

I may get the X10iii and wait until it is supported but if I am honest with the list of other issues I have I think the battery (due to such a small battery) is the final straw for me for the next while on SFOS.

I know about SailSync ownCloud, but kind of forgot about that. Idd it works, but I really like having my photos organised in years/months folders. As far as I know (please correct me if I’m wrong) SailSync does not allow you to do that.
Also, I don’t think it has the option to not sync on data, which is really important to me as I don’t have much data. But maybe the official Nextcloud android app doesn’t do that either.

I get it, with 4G, data and wifi on, it is a totally different experience alas.

Sorry but GS290 with /e/ lasts 3-4 days
3 is like minimum
My x10 barely did a day
Now.with WiFi only and no SD card it lasts 2-3 with no usage at alll

What’s is /e/ like ? Normal Android? I think I may give it a go because im tired of the awful battery life and lack of reliability.

Basically a beautified aosp

1 Like

ok gs290 with 4.3 port and waydroid from 100% to 20% in 3 days, not like 72 hrs.
3 days 2 night == 60 hrs
not so bad
i still think the battery consumer is the browser.

That’s impossible ?!

Even my now 5 years old Snapdragon 820 powered (Only 4 regular Performance Cores design!) Android phone and it’s worn 3100 mAh battery can do better than many phones mentioned in this topic!
And when it was new it could do A LOT better than the results mentioned in this topic!!!

In fact my current Jolla Sailfish Community Build running Android phone which has a batterydrain issue can do just as good as some phones mentioned here thanks to it’s 4000 mAh battery! :open_mouth:

Am I right when I say that buying a brand new Sony phone and flashing Jolla Sailfish onto it isn’t a safe choice yet ?!