Xperia 10 battery life

LineageOS does not last any longer, I tried. It is the big screen mostly and maybe the SoC.

When the device is idle the SoC should be drawing close to nothing, but the large screen is definitely not going to help when in active use - the biggest battery problem Iā€™ve noticed is when the device is not in use, though which suggests the SoC isnā€™t power saving effectively.

In terms of display, turning the dynamic brightness off and turning it down to the bottom brightness setting with 4G+LAN turned on, power consumption drops to 202-288mA.

Maximum brightness is showing 488-504mA.

Hello - I have also post some infos in this chat with the same theme:https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/power-consumption-after-upgrade-to-3-4/2456/11
Maybe it helps ton use my mcetool settings command mcetool -sdisabled to spent energyā€¦
You can see in this post my cpu using rate. Before it was very higher.

Have a brand new xperia 10, using it for a few days now, and I donā€™t really like the form factor,
i think itā€™s a mayor upgrade compared to my old X. Battery life is great too.

Thanks for the suggestions - Iā€™ve run all the suggested commands. CPU is sitting at 0% in Lighthouse, havenā€™t done a collectd yet. Took out the microSD card too. On minimum brightness, display-on current is not significantly down after reset and mcetool, unfortunately, but will have to see if the sleep power is any better.

I tried a few more of the mcetool options like forcing power saving and enabling low power mode, and itā€™s made no apparent differenceā€¦ still canā€™t get below 200mA in Battery Log just sitting there with the screen barely legible on brightnessā€¦ as a comparison point the X is around 110mA, and my other halfsā€™ Poco F1 is about the same around 110mA on low brightness, which is not exactly a slow phone with a small screen.

1 Like

Dear Sailors,

half a year has passed since the last post in this thread.

Has the battery life improved? My Xp10 lays around as a ā€œreplacement phoneā€, because I went berserk on the battery life and bought a used XA2. Since the fingerprint reader is defect now, the Xp10 comes to mind again. So: Has the battery life improved with SFOS V.4.x?

Cheers
dexic

Hey Dexic

A bit late in replying, but I tried various things and I see no improvement.
Sometimes itā€™s better, sometimes itā€™s worse. Iā€™m unble to find the culprit yet. I usually try to have the cellular at 2G instead of 4G and keep wifi off. But that is not handy when you need data!

I didnā€™t manage to update to 4.2.0 yet, but the update logs donā€™t mention anything related to power management, so I suspect no changes.

1 Like

With 4.3 installed, I have a new update on this matter (for me at least):

Battery life seems much improved!

• I donā€™t use data much, so most of the time the xperia 10 is in 2G mode
  • I turn wifi off when I donā€™t need it (would be nice if that could be automatic)
  • android support is mostly off, since I try to move away from android emulation as much as possible (only banking, deezer, and nextcloud sync mostly)

A full charge lasts almost two days with light usage since I updated to 4.3.0.12.
It feels like a huge improvement, so I can say I am quite pleased with it!

I can safely have my phone at 25% when I go to sleep, put it in flight mode and lose about 5% only during the night. Before, I would usually wake up with an empty battery, so that was a no go.

My device is a little over 2 years old and I keep my battery usually between 25% and 70%, which means I charge it once every day.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

1 Like

If Nextcloud is one of the few Android apps you rely on, try SailSync ownCloud from openrepos to keep folders in sync between Nextcloud and your device. Works very well, even for folders with lots of files.
BTW, I am also very satisfied with the battery life of my Xperia 10ii running SFOS 4.3.

My battery life is just awful. I am prob going to get rid of the phone as a result of it, I get 3/4 of a day out of it. I could downgrade all the functions and turn off data while at work but thats really not the point.

I may get the X10iii and wait until it is supported but if I am honest with the list of other issues I have I think the battery (due to such a small battery) is the final straw for me for the next while on SFOS.

I know about SailSync ownCloud, but kind of forgot about that. Idd it works, but I really like having my photos organised in years/months folders. As far as I know (please correct me if Iā€™m wrong) SailSync does not allow you to do that.
Also, I donā€™t think it has the option to not sync on data, which is really important to me as I donā€™t have much data. But maybe the official Nextcloud android app doesnā€™t do that either.

I get it, with 4G, data and wifi on, it is a totally different experience alas.

Sorry but GS290 with /e/ lasts 3-4 days
3 is like minimum
My x10 barely did a day
Now.with WiFi only and no SD card it lasts 2-3 with no usage at alll

Whatā€™s is /e/ like ? Normal Android? I think I may give it a go because im tired of the awful battery life and lack of reliability.

Basically a beautified aosp

1 Like

ok gs290 with 4.3 port and waydroid from 100% to 20% in 3 days, not like 72 hrs.
3 days 2 night == 60 hrs
not so bad
i still think the battery consumer is the browser.

Thatā€™s impossible ?!

Even my now 5 years old Snapdragon 820 powered (Only 4 regular Performance Cores design!) Android phone and itā€™s worn 3100 mAh battery can do better than many phones mentioned in this topic!
And when it was new it could do A LOT better than the results mentioned in this topic!!!

In fact my current Jolla Sailfish Community Build running Android phone which has a batterydrain issue can do just as good as some phones mentioned here thanks to itā€™s 4000 mAh battery! :open_mouth:

Am I right when I say that buying a brand new Sony phone and flashing Jolla Sailfish onto it isnā€™t a safe choice yet ?!

I have Xperia X and Xperia 10. Neither of them is in active use and has no SIOM card because I had problems with 4.3.0.12 and I moved to old Nokia 6 (Android 9) for a while.
I did reflash both to SFOS 4.3.0.12. I charged batteries full in both devices, swithed Android support off, set airplane mode on and let the phones just stay idle. Xperia X battery lasts about 30 days but Xperia 10 battery lasts only about 10 days. So the battery loses about 10% a day in airplane mode with no SIM card. How can it be like this. A reflashed phone loses 10% a day just by doing nothing.

The same with my X10ā€™s ! Battery full charged is for max. 1 day extensive usage, recharge over night. Intensive useage of the phone needs some recharge within one day. No idea why, but fact.

Interesting observation, but the difference may be simply a result of different memory technology. Remember that DRAM has to be refreshed continuously, totally independent from all other components, such as CPU in deep sleep. And of cause independent from OS.

1 Like