X10 Dual SIM Update error

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 3.4.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia 10 Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE:German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): no

DESCRIPTION:

Update not possible / incompatible with some preinstalled software.
(flatpak, flatpak-runner, libappstream-glib, xdg-dbus-proxy)

PRECONDITIONS:

SFOS 3.4.0.24 Adaption 0.0.4.10 running stable,
Aliendalvik Android support deinstalled

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Try to update to new OS version 4.0.1.48 by ‘Settings / Update’

2. Phone starts download

3. after 2 or 3 minutes, phone reports ‘update not possible’ and asks me to deinstall the following software:
    flatpak,
    flatpak-runner,
    libappstream-glib,
    xdg-dbus-proxy

4. deinstalled Flatpak from the start menu by tapping ‘flatpak’ long and then the x for deinstall.

5. tried again to update, got message
    deinstall the following software:
    flatpak,
    libappstream-glib,
    xdg-dbus-proxy
    (so flatpak-runner was gone)

EXPECTED RESULT:

Successful update to SFOS 4.0.1.48
edit: The update should automatically delete old incompatible software that is installed on the old system and do the update. The updater should report this to the user so that the user can reinstall manually on the new system, or not, but can update.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Download of new system stops with above mentioned error messages.
Download does not start again on 2nd attempt. Error messages still present.
Old system still working.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)
I don`t know how to deinstall this software manually before a next attempt! I assume or hope that I can do this by some terminal commands as devel-su, but don’t know how. Can anybody help me please?

Looks like all you uninstalled was flatpak-runner. If you use a terminal and uninstall the packages mentioned, doesn’t it work? What makes that a bug?

1 Like

You are right, this is not really a bug of the SFOS, but I didn’t know better than asking here before trying something and damage the old system.

I must confess, I don’t know how to deinstall the remaining 3 packages by terminal command… And please feel free to shift my initial message into another category that fits better.

edit: Yes, i did only deinstall the flatpak-runner because I have no idea how to do deinstall the other 3.

You can use pkcon remove to uninstall packages, and of course you need to be root (devel-su) to do that. This is deliberately not entirely copy-paste, as i want to stress that you want to understand what you are doing.

1 Like

Thanks attah, the command as devel-su did work successful and the 4 packages are now removed.

Next step I started new attempt to update. The phone reported an estimated data size to download of 100 MB, so I started the download.

After a few minutes there came an error message, I shall deinstall a long list of programs or services or however this is correctly named… It was about 300 - 500 items on the list, really, no joke! And no possibility to take a screenshot.

After aborting the update, good luck, old system still working.

Maybe this has something to do with the 5th bullet point at Known issues - generic [release notes] Koli 4.0.1 and it is probably safe to just ignore the warning? I had warning for 5-7 system packages but the update went through just fine without removing anything.

1 Like

Updateted successfully!
As avhakola wrote, I now ignored all error messages and gave the phone its time. After the download, installation was possible in the next step.
New system is now updated and running.

Thank you much!