Why Doesn't Jolla Go Public?

I wonder why Jolla Ltd never goes public so as to get resources. However, the owners have the right to keep it private if they want to.

2 Likes

Why don’t you write to them and ask them directly?

2 Likes

Because SFOS is too buggy :wink: for the mass market.

3 Likes

You are not wrong with your original comment. You should not be afraid to speak your mind, please don’t be so quick to censor yourself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for encourageing me!

edit: Jolla should stop it’s very restrictive licencing policy. Full licence with Android support only for officially supported devices is no way. They should be more open for community ports.

All my main problems come from the need to install Waydroid on the Volla instead of the original Android support (AlienDalvik) from Jolla. My Sony’s work like charm including updates to 4.4.0.68. Also Jolla looses my licence fee (and for sure a lot of others) because I’m not allowed to officially licence the Volla (or other community ports) by licence agreement.

3 Likes

Criticism should allowed as far as I am concerned and I think you are quite spot on but there are more problems that just bugs. I do not EVER see SFOS going mainstream as it is too busy becoming a tool for government.

Maybe it’s better, it grows not too big and for this reason stays uninteresting for some (‘well known’) intruders. Its better to have some issues from time to time and fix it ‘DIY’ with the help of this nice communiy, than going commercial.

3 Likes

i work in an sw department, in total we should have some 2-300 devs.
nobody, literally nobody is interested from switching from apple or android
they all just laugh at me about my concerns of big tech companies and my occasional struggles with the phone
they are all feature junkies and everything must work smoothly.
so if sw guys do not bother why should a mainstream user ?
i mean an amount of mainstream users that would make a financial difference.
i just do not see that.

7 Likes

It’s not that e.g. Android was not buggy at all.
I think if there was a bigger company interested in selling SF-devices and would contribute a certain degree of resources (e.g. hardware support and stability) more reliable devices were feasible.
It’s rather that common people are not interested in security, and companies are interested in distributing bloatware and tracking, which is not a SF feature at the moment.
Look at TVs. Multimedia features all started with Linux on a dbox2, and later enigma /enigma2 on dreamboxes and VU+ etc… Very reliable and comfortable software.
There was not a single company interested in licensing enigma for their TVs (or even use the FOSS-version for free) and even today enigma is far superior than the crappy UI on most TVs (my Samsung has a non rootable-WebOS interface which is a pain to use). All because Enigma is to open, not configureable and tracking ia not possible.

4 Likes

We dont do that. And that is the main issue. And i am not talking apps you don’t have control on (Spotify, Instagram etc).
At this point SFOS should have just worked as a well polished linux distro. And we are not there.

2 Likes

sfos is not polished, that is true. a lot of things work a bit, but what i did actually meant with features: they find the actual anti-features cool or comfortable

4 Likes

SFOS is the most beautiful of all OSes, especially compared with the two big A’s. I’m very happy with the design as it is. Thank you Jolla and all devs!

5 Likes

Yeah claiming android is polished is absurd, get me that 5 inch long thumb to go back or cancel because top left is what we do on desktop, so retarded, sfos is a breeze to use, might not have all the bells and whistles, and ads… I can live with that

4 Likes

Polishing is different than beauty. There are a bunch of inconsistencies in SFOS, it feels slow, some design elements don’t match etc etc.

And then there are all these things that you should go through hoops to achieve when it should have been just an option in the settings.

2 Likes

I think it doesn´t feel slow in the xperia 10 iii. It was slow in my old Xperia XA2… but not anymore…

I meant slow as in responsiveness when you do things. Not in a benchmark way. Use an iOS device (open apps, move around the UI etc) and everything feels snappier. Even my moms crappy android feels more responsive in a way.

Actually imo SF feels maximum smooth on XA2, yes, it’s slower than on 10 II, but very very smooth and responsive

2 Likes

I’m not a coder, so please excuse in case my sight of this issue may be nonsense…

In SFOS, there are most config files in ‘programming language’ and is ‘interpreted’ at runtime. This reminds me at good old Commodore 64 (when I was young), where programs were written in BASIC and interpreted at runtime. So the user could make changes in the program and at next start they were applied immediately without recompiling.

This is a big advantage when optimising or tweaking the SFOS for own flavour or to fix bugs. All changes will be applied immediately or after a simple reboot edit: or restarting some services. This gives the user the option to adjust the phone to his individual preferences and flavour. On the other hand, its much slower than precompiled code.

Usual Android phones have all their code not in human readable and changeable/editable files, but in a big precompiled blob, where you never can change anything and where you never know what it really does. (also in view of data security)

So, SFOS sometimes seems to be slow when operating the UI, because there, a lot of files containing high-level language commands have to be called and interpreted at runtime. This takes its time, even on a fast CPU.

But, once an app is started and running, SFOS is as fast as any other phone OS.

edit: I experienced it in a way, that it is always and only the direct user interaction at the GUI, that is slow.

Dev’s, please correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

My son in law is a linux man. I gave him my XA2 with Sailfish for testing, yet he prefers his iphone. It is hard to convince people who are used to the reliability of iOS. My husband uses it now, but like me he has an ipad too.
During the years of the Jolla 1 I could do more with that phone and with Jolla apps. Maps with Here worked well, the satnav worked with only downloading maps and a voice within the app. The bible app by thebootroo was ready made, you could find versions within the app. Radio apps worked better in those years than now, etc.
The focus was more on ordinary consumers than nowadays. My impression is that Sailfish is becoming more nerdy, more do-it-yourself. A patch here, a patch there. This I regret.
I still use it as a daily phone because of the elegance but I can’t convince others. I am not a feature freak, but some important features are still missing or aren’t functioning well enough.

7 Likes

By my estimation, you are mostly correct. I expect the optimization done in Android (by a big team of devs) has a lot of impact too. Android uses an interpretor too (it did at least some versions ago), because of java. But the differences between java interpreting (or JITting or the like) and Qt parsing are probably enough for causing noticable delays.