Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Yay, I was able to link to my Signal-Desktop again :smiley: Havenā€™t had a working one for a whileā€¦ But for some reason, the desktop client (Linux, version 7.9.0) seems unable to get contact names, I only get phone numbers. I tried digging around in the Signal-Desktop bug reports, and apparently there used to be an issue such as this on the Apple desktop client which was fixed by fixing something in the Android version of the Signal client, so I wonder if this could have something to do with how my WhisperFish is set up?

ā€¦when I start a chat with someone and they reply, the name suddenly appears in the Desktop client contact info too. Strange.

Hi! Glad you got it set up! Contact sync has been broken for a long time now already, so this behavior is sadly expected. But since profiles are a thing, itā€™s less urgent, because the profile contains the contact name :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for the quick reply! And yeah, I guess I last had the desktop client running a few years ago, so hadnā€™t noticed contact sync being broken :slight_smile:

Group name and other info doesnā€™t seem to be get synced to a primary WhisperFish if I create and rename a group in Signal-Desktop and add members - the group still shows as ā€œNew V2 Group (updating)ā€ and with 0 members. Is this a known issue? Messages to the group seem to come across okay on both my WhisperFish and the desktop client.

Weā€™ve had that before, that indicates some changes in the group protocol. If youā€™re able to file an issue that contains some logs when you edit the group name in SD, that would be really cool!

2 Likes

There you go:

Group (V2) name does not sync from Signal-Desktop (Linux) to WhisperFish (primary) at group creation (#665) Ā· Issues Ā· Whisperfish / Whisperfish - Signal on Sailfish OS Ā· GitLab

There does appear to be a workaround though: the problem exists at group creation and goes away if I later rename the group in SD.

That suggests that the group update (which is really group refresh) still works as previously!

1 Like

I suspect some kind of race condition, where the group is distributed to the members, but not yet served from the group server.

With Sailfish OS 4.6.0 Sauna now in Early Access, Iā€™m happy to inform you that Whisperfish (beta.25+) works fine with it! :grin:

9 Likes

Must be the first time since a loooong while that we didnā€™t have to ā€œOH NO IT BROKEā€-patch it! :smiley:

1 Like

My WF lost most of the pictures/avatars of contacts with 4.6.
Group pictures are still there.

What kind of contacts itā€™s used? cardDav?

We use the contacts database, but I didnā€™t notice they disappeared! I guess Iā€™m too used to Signal profilesā€¦ Feel free to file an issue!

1 Like

Crap! Sorry, sent my comment too hastily. It was actually Jolla that made the avatars vanish from the Contacts app :sweat_smile: When I add new avatars there, they reappear to WF too :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I noticed that too, but wasnā€™t sure whether it was Sauna or something else. Iā€™ve seen them disappear from my Nextcloud sync a bit too frequently before too :sweat_smile:

And I had only local contacts not synced anywhereā€¦ but still the avatars vanishedā€¦ :joy:

I used Sailfish as daily driver for 10 days, whisperfish did perform well during this period, so my thanks to the developers!
However, it was on one occasion that I am was disconnected from the websocket and didnā€™t realize this initially. Maybe I would have realized this, if in the ā€œtile viewā€ of open programs, the tile background would have been red. This red background is used for example in the apokalypse app in case a positive incident is to be reported.
So, current tile default background if connected and a red tile background if disconnected.
Just an idea, and I am not a software developer, so unfortunately I have no idea what effort this would mean (and if useful in general at all).

2 Likes

Welcome! Nice to hear Whisperfish worked well for you!

There are multiple reasons why Whisperfish gets disconnected at the moment, so we certainly could do better job communicating that to the user - those are error cases and not e.g. short network errors after all. Thatā€™s valuable feedback, thank you! Iā€™ll poke around the cover page and see how it turns out.

Appart from this, on my daily driver Xperia X SFOS 4.5 WF 0.6.0-beta-.25, (cover) connection status is broken anyway. I caught it green when there was no Internetā€¦ (donā€™t have more details)