Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Welcome to using Whisperfish!

Indeed it’s a known issue in beta.10, and it’s discussed in the very first post of this thread :slight_smile: There’s a workaround, after which you’ll have to re-register.

It’s fixed upstream, but the next release is not yet out, sorry about that.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I’ll look into the workaround :slight_smile:

Edit: works perfectly fine. This also explained me the mechanism behind. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Many thanks for all the tips.
In the meantime i successfuly installed all the beta’s as described,
Then i received my registration code from signal, entered it and it worked.

I got the first message by my partner and this worked too.

To my surprise: up to this point there was no request with a captcha or such.
Are these captchas just required fpr the signal client on PC’s desktop?

So far, I’m able to receive signal messages though there are delays from time to time.,

Yet there’s a big problem for me: i cannot answer to a incoming message.
I can type in my reply, attach a image and then press send.
Now a green capital “D” appears above the message and then it hangs.
A few minutes later this “D” is gone, the reply is still displayed without the D but it is not moved into the conversation i received it,
It’s displayed as a new conversation but never get’s out to the recipient.

Am I still missing something in the setup of Whisperfish?
I have rebooted my device a few times to be sure all installation tasks and settings are done and active.

Many thanks for a tip to overcome the sending problem.

I also got quite far with all these tips. Groups even appeared out of nowhere and just seemed to work (albeit having an odd name at first which later got corrected). Upon usage, more and more “channels” got stuck, did not receive any messages any more and sending also didn’t succeed. Removing and re-adding the Whisperfish account from those groups only works sometimes, all of them end up in a status in which opening the threads kills Whisperfish like this:

[2022-08-10T21:05:42Z TRACE harbour_whisperfish::store] Called fetch_or_insert_session_by_group_v2($SOME_GROUP_SHA256_HASH)
thread 'main' panicked at 'called `Result::unwrap()` on an `Err` value: DatabaseError(UniqueViolation, "UNIQUE constraint failed: group_v2s.id")', src/store/mod.rs:1507:14

I can’t even enter Settings in this state, it just quits immediately.

Sorry to bother you folks again, but after the first success I had it seems I can’t send messages now. Starting from console I get a 404 in the logs. I read in the first page that I am suppposed to use Signal-Desktop to work around this, but unfortunately I can’t find out how to do so. Is this somewhere written down? I checked this topic as well as the FAQ but I am still a bit lost.

Linking SD with WF did not work?

After digging quite some I finally found the option how to do so, seems I am still not entirely familiar with how SF does things :slight_smile:
Writing it down for others having trouble finding it:
Settings → Linked Devices → Add
and copy the QR Code link there which is displayed in the Signal Desktop client (can be retrieved f.e. with “CodeReader” QR app).
Phew…
Thanks a lot again!

Edit: seems I have no real luck. I can recieve messages now and reply via Signal Desktop. I can not answer from Whisperfish and the messages I receive are not identified via the names/contacts but with the UUID.
Also, Signal Desktop ist not able to receive any contacts from whisperfish and I am not able to send new messages to any phone numbers, I am getting “failed to fetch phone numbers” and it denies to send then.
How can I debug this?

I asked this on Matrix channel once and I got the instructions for installing colourful Emojis:

However, I was dumb enough not to make it through the instructions…
First of all, I couldn’t find the mentioned “sailor-emoji” folder on
~/.local/share/sailor-emoji/

Maybe this patch needs to be installed first?
https://openrepos.net/content/ichthyosaurus/patch-stock-emoji-keyboard-colors

Thanks!

Oh, you probably have to create the sailor-emoji directory yourself with mkdir! No patches required afaik.

2 Likes

Looks like I missed quite a lot during my holiday!

Does this happen only when attaching images, or with any message you send?

Hi @Maus, that’s totally new to me. Somehow, it seems that a part of a migration is failing. Can you start Whisperfish with RUST_BACKTRACE=full, and post the resulting backtrace as an issue on Gitlab? If an issue is not possible, pasting it here is fine too.

That’s a known new issue, and will be fixed (more or less) this week in beta 11.

That’s because fetching phone numbers is not implemented any more in Whisperfish. No need to debug it, because it’s known and unimplemented.

1 Like

That’s good news. Thank you!

The problem that i cannot send any message is persistent.
Regardless of an attachment.
Even a reply with just one word cannot be sended.
It always hangs with the green “D”.

Can you capture logs of this? Maybe you run into the same problem I always have with Whisperfish. (HTTP 428 Response)

1 Like

Ok, I studied basic Linux commands and I actually managed to create the folder, download Openmoji package and unpacked the SVGs to that folder.

Next up… I can’t find the place “/apps/sailor-emoji/” (the point where I’d need to use the dconf command).
Any advice?
Maybe I should give up and settle with Jollas own emojis… :crazy_face:

1 Like

FWIW, packaging emoji through OpenRepos is a goal and should simplify this by a large margin. We don’t have an estimate on when that’d be ready, however. The goal here would be to share Emoji packages between multiple applications (e.g. the Matrix clients too).

@NIS, that sounds like a lead indeed.

2 Likes

Hi. For a few weeks now I’ve been having the problem that I can create a message, but I can’t send it to a certain recipient - really only one certain recipient. I always get a circle with a slash in it. Even if I try to send the message again. Is it because of his signal installation? Or what is the problem? I’m using the WF beta 10.

Can they still send you messages? If not, you can try resetting the identity and session, by enabling developer mode (in Whisperfish settings), going into the session, swiping left, and pulling down for the reset identity + reset session.

If they can still contact you, but not vice versa, I’d need logs to see what is happening.

Hi rubdos. Many thanks. It worked with the reset identity and reset session. Now I can send and receive messages again to/from this certain recipient. But does it also work in chat groups where the particular recipient is a member of?

Hi,
I gave a new try to WF, happy to see all the work done with beta 10. Thanks tor the sweat!

XA2, 4.4.0.64, defaultuser, contacts shared and correspondent registered into contacts.

I deleted all dirs and files into /home/defaultuser containing “whisperfish” prior to reinstall.
Installed beta 8, 9 then 10 to allow WF to keep my number and config.
I can receive messages from a Signal client but as soon as I try to reply, WF blocks, reception is not possible any more and the message from WF is not received.

Launching from terminal with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 gives no errors until:

thread ‘main’ panicked at ‘only valid phone number in db: NoNumber’, src/store/orm.rs:134:60
note: run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display a backtrace
thread ‘main’ panicked at ‘called Result::unwrap() on an Err value: MailboxError(Mailbox has closed)’, /home/rsmet/rpmbuild/BUILD/rustc-1.52.1-src/library/core/src/ops/function.rs:227:5
[2022-08-24T21:39:19Z INFO libsignal_service_actix::websocket] Websocket sink has closed: SendError { kind: Disconnected }.

Maybe it gives you a hint on what is going on. Perhaps I missed sth.

Same behaviour here; I can receive message, but I cannot send; identity reset does not work in my case