Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

I’m curious, what does that mysterious “D” mean on the new messages?

It’s supposed to be the display label for the sender of the message. It’s a known bug that sending a new message shows the label for yourself (“Du”, auf Deutsch) in a very weird way. It should just not be there…

1 Like

I can’t do much to help, I can’t really any other programming language other than HTML :crazy_face:
But one thing I can, is for the translation help. I started with finalizing Swedish translation, somebody had translated it to about 40%, I’ll put some effort to translate it to 100% now.

I can also verify Finnish translation, it seemed to be well done, but there could be a bit shortening/making simpler sentences that could be done.

3 Likes

The same thing with Fernschreiber. Is it something that comes from Deutsch language…?
I would regard to myself as “Ich”, “Me”, “Jag”, “Minä”.
I find it weird that an app is saying to me, that “You” said this/that

Don’t worry :slight_smile:

That would be great! Especially the Swedish. It’s quite a bit of text to translate. Finnish is done by @mjtorn and @direc85 and Edanas (of who I don’t know the handle here). If you join our Matrix channel, you could have a chat with both, if you’d like!

It’s also how Signal itself handles it, as far as I know. Either way, it should just not show up :slight_smile:

I have also tried that, but unfortunately, it didn’t fix the problem for me. Sending and receiving from Signal-Desktop works fine, but with Whisperfish, sending is broken. Also, for some reason my contacts aren’t synced to Signal-Desktop, it shows only the profile-names.

Contact sync is currently not working indeed; only profile names work for now. Can you submit an issue with logs for your particular issue? Especially interested when you send a message from WF and when they send you a message. Having a log from both would be nice.

If this is not a new registration and if it only happens for a few contacts, I would suggest you reset the identity keys and secure session with the people that are failing. You can do that via the developer options. If it happens for literally all your contacts, we’ll really need logs.

Of course I can do that, but it will have to wait until tomorrow…

Do you mean new to Signal in general or new to Whisperfish? I have never used Whisperfish before, but I have used the normal Signal before

I have not tested it with all of my contacts, but everyone I tested it with (both group and private chats) had the same issue

I mean, new to Whisperfish. If initiating from Signal desktop doesn’t work, then that’s definitely an issue. Take your time filing it, I wont run away :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rubdos
I have created an issue on GitLab with Screenshots and logs.

1 Like

Ah, I’m so sorry. I did not notice you were also the #417/#418 case from back in May (Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client - #565 by Schniki12).

Now that captcha’s render again, it should be possible to implement their showing when this happens. It’s still weird that you get it and we have not seen it… I’ve pushed it a bit higher on the priority list, but no promises.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m new to Whisperfish but use Jolla for 2 years.
I’ve read a lot about Whisperfish and thought about giving it a try.
Unfortunately, i didn’t get far.
Installed is the latest Jolla update 4.4.0.68 as well as beta 10 from Whisperfish.
For me, the very first registration step doesnt work: i enter my region code for Germany and the telephone number (without the leading zero, thanks to the information on this forum).
When i tap on continue the Whisperfish app closes and I’m thrown back to the desktop.
This is a bit disappointing as all the posts related to the registration topic state that it should work now.
Is there anything I can do beside the developer mode and the console?
Many thanks for looking at my issue.
Regards,
RIchard

1 Like

@rich8358, this is probably because you do not have libsailfishapp-launcher installed. This will be fixed in beta 11.

The easiest is to install for example Picross 2, then register, and then you can delete the app again. It’s a very silly workaround, but it should work :slight_smile:

Actually, registration works after installing the missing deepndency as Ruben said, but unfortunately data storage is broken for new users with beta.10. So please install beta.8 first, start it (don’t register), then same with beta.9, and finally install beta.10 and complete registration.

(The instructions are in the first post, too.)

1 Like

@rich8358 If you can register successfully and can use Whisperfish for a day or two, please let me know, I would like to know if I’m the only one who always gets these captcha errors

Hi!

I have two points of feedback. First, it is not possible to paste the verification code (sms) into the form, because it will not validate if there is no - between the numbers.

The second is a small UX thing. (but maybe it is my personal preference) Once you start typing in one of the forms of the application it will be validated immediately which result in a unvalid red form until you enter the right value. I would like to have it the other way around. Giving a green border when the validation passes. And giving the unvalidated state on dirty + blur or submitting the form.
(reward early, punish late)

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post!

Not being able to paste the SMS validation code with the dash is certainly a bug, and it’s quite easy to fix. Thanks for reporting!

Whisperfish uses the QML validators provided by the OS underneath, and that’s how they work by default. There are some tweaks that can be done to it, however. I’ll see if I can come up with a setup that is less “punishing”, but still promps user to input more characters.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for this effort!
Is there any trick to get contacts uploaded to signal - like running from terminal without sailjail?

Nope, contact sync is still unimplemented! No tricks either. Sorry for that.

1 Like

I am sorry if I missed it and honestly, I did not read through this entire topic, I was just searching through it.
I installed Whisperfish with Storeman and all seems fine, I can register, send and receive messages. BUT once I close it, anything is gone and I have to register as if it never has been running.
However, the icon of whisperfish does show a lock. Please forgive me if this is some foolish question, but I am rather new to SFOS.