Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

ok, last comment: i once had seg faults in my super primitive song kick app. rebuild against new target did fix hat
i am on 4.3 against what did you built ?

habit :wink: I always remember next, write, quit, next, write, quit ā€¦ damn itā€¦ sed -i ā€¦ fumblie, fumble ā€¦ awk -F; ā€¦

Iā€™m running with the gs290 but with 4.3.0.15. I donā€™t have any issues, but for having to have the other party initiate the conversation.

Do groups work now?

Groups work fine, if you are added or are in to one. Sending and receiving messages work just as fine as with individual chats.

I tried to create a new group with Whisperfish, but it currently makes the app crash. I created an issue about it, it gets fixed at some point.

Ok. I had a link to a group I ā€˜wasā€™ in, but could not find a way to use that. So Iā€™ll ask to see if they can add me again.

Thanks!

Currently Iā€™m building against 4.1. That will soon update to 4.4.

1 Like

You indeed have to be added again after registration. If you have an invite, you can only accept it through Signal Desktop for now.

Jeez. I donā€™t even want to consider another chat app on my desktop ā€¦ matrix, irc, xmpp ā€¦ Iā€™ll go mad!

Iā€™ll go and ask the ever patient Aikido practitioner on invite again. Thankfully, sheā€™s patient with me!

EDIT: ok, some would maintain that I already am mad.

2 Likes

Youā€™re not alone, donā€™t worry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

groups work. i have two groups and one chat. messages are sent.
only minus a crash after each message :slight_smile:
but i am not a big chatter ā€¦

where would i find the dbg symbols ?
i was here

seems i can find latest arch64 rpm package but the debug symbols ?

could you send me the link to (at best both) ?

The packages are unstripped, so they contain the debug symbols IIRC. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re so huge tooā€¦ Now, these symbols are not complete because itā€™s built in release mode. Maybe I should try and fix that now, and split it up too.

Lots of thanks,
the vi/(nano) trick (e.g. post 483) worked for me.

1 Like

Hmmm, I must miss something but I donā€™t seeā€¦
WF seems to work, I can send. But the message doesnā€™t arrive on the other side. Reverse neither.
I tried from and to Signal for Android but nothing happens. (between two androids Signal apps, it works)
What do I miss?
Thx

Do you get WF logging out after you send? In my case, I can send and receive, but every time I send, WF seems to crash. It goes into cover mode, I bring it back up front, log in and on it goes.

Itā€™s sort of usable as emergency notification system (which is my main use) but not really to chat.

No, all seems to work normally but the messages never arrive.
Should I invite or be invited?

I believe it is, still, the other side has to send you a message first.

Hmm, I tried that too, from an Android client and another phone number.
Message doesnā€™t arrive.

:partying_face: Finally worked:
Deleted home whisperfish files, Uninstalled, re-installed with zypper, redone the register vi trick.
Great! Big thanks for making Signal possible on SF!

1 Like

Thereā€™s a plethora of reasons why this can happen. They all have workarounds, but in order to see which issue it is, logs are needed. Auto-reTOFU checklist (#304) Ā· Issues Ā· Whisperfish / Whisperfish - Signal on Sailfish OS Ā· GitLab

1 Like

edit: Not worth reading. I made an error.
I ran out of space on mx XA2.
Searching why revealed that my media files like, for the biggest, pictures and videos were copied in /home/defaultuser/.cache/be.rubbos/harbour-whisperfish/defaultuser/ā€¦
Is that intended?
Thanks